Boss katana 50, what a beast

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Reviews > Boss katana 50, what a beast

Sore.fingers

Full Access

Hello, to start my guitar-journey, I bought the squier strat pack. It comes with everything you need, but after using it daily, for the past 6 weeks, the amp didn't really appeal to me. The guitar didn't sound as I'd imagined. Actually, the tones came out OK, but it sounded a little faint.

For my birthday, a few weeks ago, I got a gift certificate of my wife to buy stuff in our local music shop and decided that the amp needed replacement. I bought the Boss Katana 50. Now my guitar really sounds like an electric. I'm super happy. Even at 0.5 watt (25 or 50 watt is way too loud for practicing), I still get these beautifull sounds. I don't know how to use all the effects yet, but I'm quite confident that this will last for a few years. With this amp, I also noticed that the cheap Squier actually sounds well enough.

If I'd have to start over again, I'd still buy the Squier strat, but I'd buy a separate amp, like this Boss Katana 50. You get much more pleasing tones for about 100 euro more.

Hello, to start my guitar-journey, I bought the squier strat pack. It comes with everything you need, but after using it daily, for the past 6 weeks, the amp didn't really appeal to me. The guitar didn't sound as I'd imagined. Actually, the tones came out OK, but it sounded a little faint.

For my birthday, a few weeks ago, I got a gift certificate of my wife to buy stuff in our local music shop and decided that the amp needed replacement. I bought the Boss Katana 50. Now my guitar really sounds like an electric. I'm super happy. Even at 0.5 watt (25 or 50 watt is way too loud for practicing), I still get these beautifull sounds. I don't know how to use all the effects yet, but I'm quite confident that this will last for a few years. With this amp, I also noticed that the cheap Squier actually sounds well enough.

If I'd have to start over again, I'd still buy the Squier strat, but I'd buy a separate amp, like this Boss Katana 50. You get much more pleasing tones for about 100 euro more.

mjgodin

Full Access

Congrats on the amp. There are quite a few of us on here who use the Boss Katana.

If you do a search on it you'll find a few threads. I wouldn't focus too much on figuring out all the tones. Let that all come to you as you learn. I usually just keep mine on the clean setting or acoustic if I'm playing that and yes .5 watt is enough for me, plus I have 4 preset settings that I downloaded from a patch site. Thats really the best way to get the sound you want is to download the patch from Boss website or you can find some public domain sites out there that have some custom ones. The directions are pretty intuitive on how to download and install them. And of course some of the more experienced players on here can help with any questions. I'm still a bit of a novice myself when it comes to all those tones.

Have fun,

Moe

Congrats on the amp. There are quite a few of us on here who use the Boss Katana.

If you do a search on it you'll find a few threads. I wouldn't focus too much on figuring out all the tones. Let that all come to you as you learn. I usually just keep mine on the clean setting or acoustic if I'm playing that and yes .5 watt is enough for me, plus I have 4 preset settings that I downloaded from a patch site. Thats really the best way to get the sound you want is to download the patch from Boss website or you can find some public domain sites out there that have some custom ones. The directions are pretty intuitive on how to download and install them. And of course some of the more experienced players on here can help with any questions. I'm still a bit of a novice myself when it comes to all those tones.

Have fun,

Moe

William MG

Full Access

Its a great amp. Like Moe said, there are many on the forum.

Enjoy!

"If it sounds cool, it is cool!"

Mike O

Works for me!

Its a great amp. Like Moe said, there are many on the forum.

Enjoy!

"If it sounds cool, it is cool!"

Mike O

Works for me!

andrew.colomb

Full Access

The best! Love it!

Only one issue not having a looper input on the 50.

The best! Love it!

Only one issue not having a looper input on the 50.

Music_Maestro

Full Access

Originally Posted by: Sore.fingers

I bought the Boss Katana 50.

Good choice. I'm considering either a Fender Champion 50XL or something by Marshall.

Epiphone SG 400 Pro, Fender Squier, Flying V for shredding. Celtic fusion,rock, blues & Metal. From Wales, GB.

Originally Posted by: Sore.fingers

I bought the Boss Katana 50.

Good choice. I'm considering either a Fender Champion 50XL or something by Marshall.

Epiphone SG 400 Pro, Fender Squier, Flying V for shredding. Celtic fusion,rock, blues & Metal. From Wales, GB.

Sore.fingers

Full Access

Originally Posted by: Music_Maestro

I'm sure that both Fender and Marshall will have solid alternatives for the Boss Katana. I'v watched a video about a comparison between the Fender Champion 50XL and the Boss Katana (made by Andertons)... Fender came out as the "new king". As far as my headphones are trustworthy, I have to admit that the tone on the Fender was more appealing to my ears as well. However, I really love some features on the Katana, which makes it the best amp for me. The switch to control the output, a USB-out for recording and the vast choice of effects are some features that don't come on the Fender. I'm not really into the effects yet, but as I'll continue my journey, I hope to experiment a bit with it.

Let me know what you've decided eventually. Happy hunting.

Originally Posted by: Music_Maestro

I'm sure that both Fender and Marshall will have solid alternatives for the Boss Katana. I'v watched a video about a comparison between the Fender Champion 50XL and the Boss Katana (made by Andertons)... Fender came out as the "new king". As far as my headphones are trustworthy, I have to admit that the tone on the Fender was more appealing to my ears as well. However, I really love some features on the Katana, which makes it the best amp for me. The switch to control the output, a USB-out for recording and the vast choice of effects are some features that don't come on the Fender. I'm not really into the effects yet, but as I'll continue my journey, I hope to experiment a bit with it.

Let me know what you've decided eventually. Happy hunting.