Nux od- 3 overdrive pedal

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Reviews > Nux od- 3 overdrive pedal

manXcat

♪It's getting better all the time♫

NUX

Price

Currently the NUX OD-3 Overdrive can be had by the savvier shopper for as low USD$18 inc shipping. I paid marginally less than that for mine back in first quarter of 2018.

Pros

Price

Performance

Full size

Metal case

Analogue

Passthrough

Metal footswitch

Auto TS cable triggered power on-off switching

Dual power connectivity - internal 9v alkaline battery or external 9v DC power

Power on red indicator light

12 month warranty

Cons

None

Review

I’ve had my OD-3 since about Jan or Feb 2018. It was one of the first NUX (pronounced new-x) pedals I bought. Chinese clones. Manufactured by Cherub Technology Inc in the PRC. Currently still sold under the NUX brand as OD-3 Overdrive. More recently it has also been appearing under the Twinote label as the OD-3 Tube Drive for marketing as appeals to different market mentalities. Externally the same save the name and screen printing, both pedals are identical internally.

This is a high quality pedal, internally a clone of the famous and considerably more expensive Ibanez Tube Screamer. In output sound, the two are virtually indiscernible.

Analogue passthrough, power on is auto switched on and off by insertion of the TS cable on the input side. The switch is robust. I prefer the traditional Chinese pedal switch over the BOSS and Ibanez style footpads. They work well, with positive on off action, and are easily replaceable if a switch were to fail.

My own preference is to fit an inexpensive replaceable generic hat to this type of mech. It enhances switching by offering a colour contrasted and larger lower pressure point target coincidentially easier on bare feet at home. The red power indicator light lights up the translucent accessory pedal switch hat when engaged. This is a real plus in low light conditions which works particularly well for red hats, and most light colours. I predominantly fit black to pedal body colours like white, yellow or green cases for natural lighting condition contrast, and red to dark pedal colours. e.g. My Blackstar (black) and Fender (grey and black) amplifer footswitches are fitted with the same accessory knobs, but in red.

red

Works well on either 9v battery or external DC power. Input is 9v DC - centre polarity. Internal battery is super portable and convenient for single pedal deployment, but you'll want a single wall wart or multi PSU for frequent use.

What’s in the box?

The pedal comes supplied in attractive robust retail packaging with an individual serial number and online counterfeit checking scratchable hologram number reveal. Inside you find the pedal in a tape sealed plastic bag with an instruction phamplet and a NUX sticker. In domestic markets a 9v alkaline battery will also be included, but international sellers most frequently remove this to avoid risk of uplift acceptance refusal and return due to international air shipping regulation restrictions. IME sellers who do so will state it up front.

It has been one of my more frequently used pedals for the tones it produces, especially before I bought my most recent amps. Highly recommended for those looking for the warm vintage edge of breakup and overdriven valve tone.

Demo here.

Couple of comparisons here and here.

Summary

Ibanez Tube Screamer in all but name for less than USD$20inc vs an Ibanez TS9 at around USD$110exc, with the TS008 even dearer at around USD$170.

Affordable to everybody. Does the job without frills, fuss or need to refinance the house.

What’s not to like?

manX

♪A little better all the time♫

NUX

Price

Currently the NUX OD-3 Overdrive can be had by the savvier shopper for as low USD$18 inc shipping. I paid marginally less than that for mine back in first quarter of 2018.

Pros

Price

Performance

Full size

Metal case

Analogue

Passthrough

Metal footswitch

Auto TS cable triggered power on-off switching

Dual power connectivity - internal 9v alkaline battery or external 9v DC power

Power on red indicator light

12 month warranty

Cons

None

Review

I’ve had my OD-3 since about Jan or Feb 2018. It was one of the first NUX (pronounced new-x) pedals I bought. Chinese clones. Manufactured by Cherub Technology Inc in the PRC. Currently still sold under the NUX brand as OD-3 Overdrive. More recently it has also been appearing under the Twinote label as the OD-3 Tube Drive for marketing as appeals to different market mentalities. Externally the same save the name and screen printing, both pedals are identical internally.

This is a high quality pedal, internally a clone of the famous and considerably more expensive Ibanez Tube Screamer. In output sound, the two are virtually indiscernible.

Analogue passthrough, power on is auto switched on and off by insertion of the TS cable on the input side. The switch is robust. I prefer the traditional Chinese pedal switch over the BOSS and Ibanez style footpads. They work well, with positive on off action, and are easily replaceable if a switch were to fail.

My own preference is to fit an inexpensive replaceable generic hat to this type of mech. It enhances switching by offering a colour contrasted and larger lower pressure point target coincidentially easier on bare feet at home. The red power indicator light lights up the translucent accessory pedal switch hat when engaged. This is a real plus in low light conditions which works particularly well for red hats, and most light colours. I predominantly fit black to pedal body colours like white, yellow or green cases for natural lighting condition contrast, and red to dark pedal colours. e.g. My Blackstar (black) and Fender (grey and black) amplifer footswitches are fitted with the same accessory knobs, but in red.

red

Works well on either 9v battery or external DC power. Input is 9v DC - centre polarity. Internal battery is super portable and convenient for single pedal deployment, but you'll want a single wall wart or multi PSU for frequent use.

What’s in the box?

The pedal comes supplied in attractive robust retail packaging with an individual serial number and online counterfeit checking scratchable hologram number reveal. Inside you find the pedal in a tape sealed plastic bag with an instruction phamplet and a NUX sticker. In domestic markets a 9v alkaline battery will also be included, but international sellers most frequently remove this to avoid risk of uplift acceptance refusal and return due to international air shipping regulation restrictions. IME sellers who do so will state it up front.

It has been one of my more frequently used pedals for the tones it produces, especially before I bought my most recent amps. Highly recommended for those looking for the warm vintage edge of breakup and overdriven valve tone.

Demo here.

Couple of comparisons here and here.

Summary

Ibanez Tube Screamer in all but name for less than USD$20inc vs an Ibanez TS9 at around USD$110exc, with the TS008 even dearer at around USD$170.

Affordable to everybody. Does the job without frills, fuss or need to refinance the house.

What’s not to like?

manX

♪A little better all the time♫