Alice AE530 electric guitar strings

manXcat
manXcat
09/02/2019 4:10 am

This will probably be of more interest and significance to Guitar Tricks Rest Of World (ROW) members in EU, UK, AU et al than those of you in the US. In my neck of the woods, AU, most imported products of US origin are expensive relative to their pricing in the US attributable primarily to factors of price gouging by local single line distributors and the current exchange rate of the bullish USD.

Who wants to throw money away one doesn't have to on 'grudge buy' consumables? Alice AE530s offer those of us in ROW an amiably affordable option where a lower price doesn't mean sacrificing performance.

Alice AE530 are superb quality [u]electric[/u] guitar strings from the Chinese brand Alice, a brand of Guangzhou Romance Musical Instruments Co.,Ltd. whose products I've consistently found to be industry standard quality in each of their respective segments, but at price points representing [u]outstanding value[/u].

As an early adopter always up for trying anything new in looking for and recognising performance and quality regardless of the brand or origin, I'm always wanting to stretch my music budget further whilst not neglecting preventative maintenance. So I bought and tried several sets of these strings. Although I chose them on specification guided to them with positive regard for the brand in general, at the time I was researching them I noted that the AE530 strings came exceptionally well regarded by other users in the EU and the UK of a similar mindset.

So I've tried a few sets of AE530s now to feel capable of giving an honest hands on review. Specifically I've used the AE530SL and AE530L, in lay speak, their 9s & 10s. I haven't tried nor will I probably, the AE530XL which are 8s.

There's [u]a lot to like[/u].

As a basis of comparison with a standard of excellence, their feel and tone is easily the equal of D'Addario EXLs. Longevity is also as good IME, but that said, playing most every day, I'm not one who leaves my strings on my guitars for 6 months regardless the brand. The coated steel [u]GBE[/u] strings feel particularly slick to the touch. Notable is their [u]outstanding[/u] resonance. I currently have them fitted to my conventional config vintage ceramic PUP'd Tele (10s) and a Pacifica alnico V HSS Strat (9s). D'Addario EXLs or Ernie Ball Slinkys on everything else, and formerly those guitars, my basis of direct comparison.

I source my AE530s from AliExpress. They come supplied individually in an attractive retail packaging box, but importantly each set comes in a sealed plastic bag to keep them free from air and contaminents until required for use. An alternative to D'Addario's colour coding of the individual string anchors, Alice puts them a sequential mounting order in a tearaway frame. Both methods achieve the same end assisting with unmistakable placement.

Now for the best bit. I currently pay about [u]AUD$4.50 per set[/u] delivered, and can buy them a single set at a time (if preferred, I don't) any time at that price from a 100% trusted and reliable supplier. Comparatively, the absolute best online price I can source D'Addario EXLs or Ernie Ball Slicks in AU per single set is AUD$12ea delivered. Whilst I usually buy my D'Addarios and Ernie Balls at slightly better pricing in bulk, one doesn't have to be Keynes reborn to figure out the economics on that.

Any way one looks at it, half the price per set of D'Addarios or Ernie Balls requiring purchase of the latter brands in bulk to effect that pricing, and a bit over a third the price per set if purchasing those brands by the single set.

Gauging on performance without brand bias, I think highly of these strings. They will probably supersede D'Addario as my go to standard once current stocks are exhausted.

[br]I'd rate Alice AE530s 5/5 stars on performance, and even higher on value were it possible.

manXcat

# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.