Ibanez RGA42FM

kerbeg
kerbeg
03/17/2010 10:53 pm
Just wanted to give my two cents on a new guitar I bought a few weeks ago, so here goes.
MODEL: Ibanez RGA42FM (red burst)
PRICE PAID: $440 new via ebay
I was in the market for a nice sub- $500 metal guitar and really don't to a lot of whammy stuff, so I was looking for a lightweight, comfortable s-body style with a fixed bridge. After trying several different brands in the same price range, Schecter, ESP, Jackson, etc., It came down to a choice between either an Ibanez RGA32 or RGA42FM. I wanted dual humbucker active pickups-- both guitars have the Ibanez LoZ3's, but the beautiful flamed maple and eq (scoop) switch persuaded me to spend the extra dough and go for 42. My other main guitar is a parts-caster I built from American Fender parts bought online, a custom Warmoth neck and SCN Tele pickups. PICKUPS: Prior to this RGA, I haven't had any experience with active pickups and it's been a slight learning curve for me. The RGA 42 only has a volume knob and the active eq switch. When engaged, it eq's the signal to scoop out the mids and provides a super crunch metal tone that I love. I'm not crazy about the sound of the neck pick up. It is very fat and loaded with bass. I can't seem to get the crunch I out of it like I can the bridge p.u. unless I eq the amp to compensate. I'm kind of a one pickup player anyway... I usually just leave it on the bridge and full blast. With these actives, I've learned to really use the volume knob, which behaves more like a tone knob. Turning down the knob really cleans up the sound (in a good way) without lowering the volume too much. Pickup volume doesn't really subside until the knob is turned all the way down... which really gives the pickups much more versatility I think.
NECK: Wizard 2 neck is thin and flat down the center in the back. It's a bolt on and plays fast. The jumbo frets were pretty level with no sharp edges. BODY: The flame maple is beautiful-- I got the red burst finish (they offer gray burst, red burst and blue burst. The white binding on the front edge is nice as well. HARDWARE: The Gibraltar bridge is nice and stable like a fixed bridge should be... the strings can either go through the body or just inserted into slots at the rear of the bridge. The pot and switch seems to be quality and the electronics cavity is shielding painted. I replaced the stock tuners with Sperzel trim-loks but they seemed ok. All the hardware is gunmetal chrome. SET UP: Out of the box, the action was a tad high, but lowering the saddles a hair made it play more to my liking. I adjusted the truss rod and straightened out the very slight sag in the neck nicely. I also replaced the factory strings (not sure what gauge they were-- probably the same as what I replaced them with) with DAdarrio EXL 125's .09 thru.46 gauge. I really like the way it plays and looks. 8 out of 10. Hope this review was somewhat informative... thanks for reading and cheers.

Follow this link to hear a clip I made of the pickups in various settings:

http://thunderhose.net/RGA42_LOZ3.mp3

1. Bridge/EQ on/full volume
2. Bridge/EQ on/1/2 volume
3. Bridge/EQ off/full volume
4. Bridge/EQ off/1/2 volume
5. Neck/EQ on/full volume
6. Neck/EQ on/1/2 volume
7. Neck/EQ off/full volume
8. Neck/EQ off/1/2 volume

Clips recorded direct into Pro Tools using Amplitube Fender Metal Head amp sim.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGA42FM
# 1
Lilbiker
Strung Out
Lilbiker
Strung Out
03/18/2010 6:16 pm
Sweet! I checked it out on line and the Grey one is Dope. That would be my choice. I only have a Fender knock off with single coil pickups, I would probably go with Humbuckers should I upgrade anytime soon.

I don't know much about the different sounds yet, I am fairly new to guitars, especially electrics, but I learn more everyday.

Nice looking and the clips sound nice.

Jaime
# 2
compart1
compart1
03/19/2010 3:20 am
Hi Lilbiker..
Nice area you are from.. I have ton of relatives and friends up that way..
Gordon..
# 3
jdanjonson
jdanjonson
03/02/2017 1:20 am

I have one for sale. They are nice guitars.

# 4
bookas58
bookas58
03/03/2017 6:40 am

Nothing wrong with Ibanez electrics , well made and well presented . I have an SA 360 QM and it takes a fair bit to beat it , given the price I paid 6 years ago . The neck is slim and fast and the single coils are great , the bridge humbucker tended to be a bit microphonic . On the guitar tricks technicians advice , swapped it out for a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and have'nt looked back since . Adorable to look at , versatile tone wise and comfortable .

# 5
ehsu555
ehsu555
10/05/2017 1:35 pm

Hi, I just brought an used Ibanez RGA42FM for my son's beginner guitar lesson.

When I took the guitar home, I saw one of the pole (on 4th string) on the humbuker that's closest to the neck is a bit elevated than the others. The rest of the poles on both humbukers are all level.

Does this indicate that this guitar has been damage? Or humbukers have been replaced before? Will this cause problem or need any replacement in the near future? The guitar store has a 30 days return policy so can someone knows about this guitar kindly let me know? Much thanks!!

# 6
bookas58
bookas58
10/13/2017 11:12 pm

It has probably been adjusted because the signal coming out of that pole was a bit weak . Pickups have a sweet spot , so the height is adjustable . It is not unusual for the poles to be different heights . Lots of you - tube video's on the subject

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.