VOX amPlug Headphone Amp

GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
08/04/2009 11:42 pm
I travel frequently (every week) and stay in hotels 5 times per week. I got tired of lugging around my 15w Peavy Vyper everywhere I went, so I went looking for one of those 5w practice amps. That's when I discovered these little gems, the VOX amPlug Headphone Amp. I puchased it at a music store in North Carolina for 39.95. A fast look says that is about the price you will find on ebay stores or at Musician's Friend.

You can see by the pics that it is about the size of a deck of cards, perhaps a bit smaller. It runs on 2 AAA batteries and has controls for volume, tone, and gain. There are two 3.5 audio jacks, one for aux input from your computer, or iPhone or mp3 player, and another for headphone output. There is an on/off switch and a red LED to let you know it's on.

This little thing is great. You plug it directly into your guitar (or other music instrument), plug in some headphones, and you can practice with some good tone and sustain and not bother another soul. This has been great for me and staying in hotels all the time. Another great thing about it is the AUX jack. I hook in my iPhone and play songs right into the headphones so I can play along with them. You can see by the other pic that it will fit into a Strat's cable jack. I carry it in my guitar case with the tuner and metronome (both are bigger than the amp) , No more lugging around a big amp! It kinda sorta sounds like a big VOX tube amp, and there are several models such as 'metal', AC30, and ''Lead". The one I bought is the 'classic rock' version.

On the down side, with the gain up, the tone nearly up, and the volume all the way up (on the amp and the guitar) the volume is just adequate. Can't really crank it farther up if you like your music a little loud. The case is plastic, and probably won't take a huge drop or other beating.

To sum it up, a really great little practice amp for bedrooms, hotel rooms, or if you want to walk around while playing your guitar and no visits from the police or angry neighbors! Easily carried in your guitar case and it's really inexpensive. It's great to play my Peavy when I get home and I can crank it up a bit and play with the effects, but the little VOX headphone amp is perfect for travelers etc. Highly recommended!

GG
# 1
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
09/28/2009 4:20 am
Hello, I recently picked up one of these too. I was looking for a way to play with headphones without being closly chained to my amp. Secondly, I wanted to be able to have my computer (for GT lessons) and my guitar to play thru the same headphones so I could do the lessons without disturbing anyone.

This little gadget does the trick. Guitared Geezer (lol) did an excellent job detailing and describing the features (plus Im lazy) so I wont elaborate too much. But being able to hear my axe and Comp (and iPod) thru the same headphones is perfect.

I got the AC30 version (figured it would be somewhat universal tone). With my strat the overall volume is decent. With my SG however, if i cank everything up, im sure my ears would bleed. The sound quality is just decent, It sounds kind of "tinny". But for a tiny cheap little gadget you cant expect a whole lot in that department, plus i am a real tone snob.

If you are looking for something like this, this is an great choice.
# 2
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
09/28/2009 10:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Infinite-THello, I recently picked up one of these too. I was looking for a way to play with headphones without being closly chained to my amp. Secondly, I wanted to be able to have my computer (for GT lessons) and my guitar to play thru the same headphones so I could do the lessons without disturbing anyone.

This little gadget does the trick. Guitared Geezer (lol) did an excellent job detailing and describing the features (plus Im lazy) so I wont elaborate too much. But being able to hear my axe and Comp (and iPod) thru the same headphones is perfect.

I got the AC30 version (figured it would be somewhat universal tone). With my strat the overall volume is decent. With my SG however, if i cank everything up, im sure my ears would bleed. The sound quality is just decent, It sounds kind of "tinny". But for a tiny cheap little gadget you cant expect a whole lot in that department, plus i am a real tone snob.

If you are looking for something like this, this is an great choice.

They are interesting, but somewhat limited considering you have to buy the one sound(ie - No way to switch between a clean and distortion sound), making it impractical atr least for me. I have been checking into the Korg Pandora's , but they are more money
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 3
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
09/30/2009 3:10 am
Actually, it does have a gain control. Keeping the gain lower and your git volume low you get a fairly decent clean tone, if you turn the gain and/or your guitar volume up, you can get a pretty good overdive sound from it. Maybe not Metallica distortion or anything, but a crunchy ACDCish sound.

Maybe you can get a shop to let you try one of each out before you buy. You can put them side by side and see first hand which you like best, or if the Korg is worth shelling out the extra cash. Some places like Guitar Center have a 30 day return policy. Maybe something like that would work too. You can return it if you dont like it. At least the Guitar Center down the street from me is pretty good about stuff like that. Either way, rock on.
# 4
JestMe
Full Access
JestMe
Full Access
03/18/2015 9:59 pm
Wow this thread goes way back. I have an AC30 model that I picked up a couple years ago. I don't really use it that often, pretty much just on vacations but I truly love it and am glad to have it when I do use it.
# 5
REB64
Full Access
REB64
Full Access
03/20/2015 5:44 pm
I bought the Classic Rock this past November. Couldn't be happier with the little gadget. You can select chorus, delay, reverb or no effects at all. An AC/DC style crunch or clean can be dialed in. It also has three presets- basic (LED is green), effect (orange) and song (red). It's a great tool for practicing and not bothering the wife and kids at night. Tone wise, I think it's limited by the cheap pair of headphones being used. It's not a big enough issue to spend major coin on a better pair.

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug2
# 6

03/31/2015 12:53 pm
They do what there supposed to do!
I just sold mine on reverb.com..check out my gear I have for sale..

Good prices on amps, prs,fender guitars.
Accessories...Peter's guitar cellar!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.