February Sweetwater Gear Review Giveaway - Roger Linn Design AdrenaLinn III

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/05/2009 8:06 pm
February Sweetwater Gear Review Giveaway - Roger Linn Design AdrenaLinn III

The February contest is again sponsored by our good friends at Sweetwater.com.

When you are ready to record, Sweetwater can help. From amp modelers like the one in this review to full-blown computer recording setups, Sweetwater can explain what's involved and help design a system to get great sound on any budget.

We are going to give the AdrenaLinn III away to a lucky newsletter reader next week.

To register to win, just reply to this thread!

Please read the rules in the next post to be sure you are eligible. Unfortunately, we can't ship this out of the U.S., so it is only open to U.S. residents.

In order to win this prize, you must "enter" the contest by posting on this thread before Friday, February 13th.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/05/2009 8:07 pm
*** Sweetwater Gear Review Giveaway Contest Details ****

How Winners are Selected and Notified:

On February 13th we will randomly select one winner from people who post a reply to this forum thread. Posting more than once will not increase your chances to win.

Winner will be announce in this forum thread (save your newsletter, it is the only external link to this thread).

Official Contest Rules

- Void where prohibited or restricted by law.

- Contest is only open to U.S. residents who are over 18 years of age.

- No purchase necessary.

- All Guitar Tricks members including both Full Access and Free Membership are eligible to win.

- Guitar Tricks instructors, forum moderators, staff and members of their households are not eligible.

- Winner will have 30 days to claim their prize.

- If you win, we will need to use to your name and image in the newsletter, so have a good photo of yourself to send us!

- Prize winners are responsible for all federal, state and local taxes.

- By accepting a prize, all winners agree that Guitar Tricks, their affiliates, and all of the officers, directors, employees,
representatives and agents of Guitar Tricks, will have no liability whatsoever for, and will be held harmless by winner for any
liability for any injury, loss or damages of any kind, to winner or other persons, including (without limitation) injuries, loss or
damages arising out of or relating to death, and, injuries, damages or losses to property, due in whole or in part, directly or
indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize or participation in this giveaway.

- Guitar Tricks reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the giveaway, reject any entry, or make any revisions to the
official rules as we deem necessary.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/05/2009 8:10 pm
Special Message for Non-US Members

We deeply regret that we cannot ship contest prizes outside the U.S.

Customs, tariffs, and shipping prevent merchandise from being shipped reasonably between countries.

That is the reason why U.S. music stores like www.sweetwater.com cannot sell to musicians in other countries, even as close as Canada.

We originally intended this contest to be run by Ren in the U.K. but we found that just shipping him the gear was so problematic that it would cost more than the contest itself.

Please accept our apologies for making this a U.S. only contest.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/05/2009 8:12 pm

MSRP $399.00

In the late 70s and early 80s, guitar effects pedals were introduced that made expensive studio techniques like "flanging" and "echo" affordable for the masses.

Simultaneously, punk rock and new wave guitarists wanted to push the boundaries of what rock music should sound like. Many relatively unknown guitarists (Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Andy Gill come to mind) pushed the edge of what the guitar itself should sound like with effects ranging from syncopated echos to animal sounds.

The more famous representatives of this style are probably familiar to you: U2, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel and sometimes Green Day, The Smiths and John Mayer.

Back to the 70s and 80s: the first company to create a programmable drum machine was run by a man named Roger Linn.

The Linn Drum was used on records from Prince, The Cars, Peter Gabriel, Madonna, The Gap Band, Todd Rundgren, and many others.

It cost some outrageous amount of money and had a unique sound that was much better than any other drum machine at the time (IMO).

I might have seen it once or twice in a store, I'm not sure. But even if they had it, they would never, ever let you touch it. It was that sort of thing.

So when I found out a few years ago that Roger Linn had created a guitar effects processor, I definitely wanted to try it out.

Then, when I heard it on the radio:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
John Mayer - Bigger than my Body
Morcheeba - Part of the Process
Audioslave - Like a Stone
Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I definitely wanted to try it because it did some things that other effects processors just don't do.

But I haven't seen it in any stores. Not the AdrenaLinn, the AdrenaLinn II or the AdrenaLinn III.

So I finally figured out that the only way I could get my hands on one would be to get Sweetwater to send it to me, and then try it as part of our review/giveaway system here.

So here it is, by my own special request:

The AdrenaLinn III by Roger Linn Design

First impressions:

I thought it would be bigger. It is about the size of a thick paperback book. I expected something about 15 inches by 9, and this is about 8 by 5.

It has a small LED, 4 knobs and a few buttons. There are about 50 editable parameters (it does a lot) that you have to control thru this very small interface. The parameters are listed in a grid on the face of it, and you need to press a button on the left to select the row of parameters you want to edit, and then use the knobs on the top. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't too bad, but it is definitely expecting a technical-savvy user.

The back has midi in/out. If you want to use it live, you would definitely want to get an external midi foot controller (an addition $300 or so) to be able to fully control the various effects.

Overall Design

The AdrenaLinn is a beat synched modulation/filter effect, plus a filter sequencer, amp simulator and drum machine.

The main strength of the AdrenaLinn is it can make a guitar sound different from a guitar, giving it tools more often associated with synthesizers. Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and John Mayer's "Bigger than my Body" are excellent examples. Each features extra notes, in time to the music, produced by the effects box, not by picking. Think U2's The Edge taken to a further level.

I will do my best to explain what this device does, but you might want to check out the audio demos on the Roger Linn website to hear for yourself what I am talking about:

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/adrenalinn3/adrenalinn3.shtml#audiodemos

Before receiving the AdrenaLinn, I was dubious about two of its functions: amp simulator and drum machine.

First, why?

Why spend time and effort on an amp simulator and drum machine, when what we really want is the arpeggio sequencer and filters?

After 15 minutes, it becomes obvious: it is a great tool for coming up with ideas. The drum machine is necessary to have a time reference for the sequencer, something to "play off of" so the filtering and sequencing make sense in a tempo, not just by itself.

Similarly, the amp simulator is necessary because the sound of the guitar and the sound of the filter effect are so intertwined, that they ought to be together in the same preset. Nobody wants to (for instance) program a great preset in their POD amp simulator and a matching one in their AdrenaLinn and then write it down on a piece of paper somewhere.

Sound

So I was soon convinced that the overall concept was smart. How was the sound?

I really like it. I am very much enjoying the current crop of 80s-influenced bands like The Bravery, The Killers and The Fray. This device seems like the sort of thing they would use, and unapologetically lays on a ton of effects to get some really interesting sounds.

Here is the list of effects:

Tremolo
Filter Tremolo
Flanger/Chorus
Rotary speaker
Vibrato
Random Filter
Random Flanger
Tremolo Sequences
Filter Sequences
Arpeggiator Sequences
Auto Filter
Talk Box
Volume Envelope
Auto Pan
Wah Pedal
Fixed Filter
Fixed Flanger
Sci-Fi (science fiction sounds)

The most unique feature here is the arpeggiator. You can use it to make your guitar sound like a dance synth, or you can put it way back in the mix so that it just adds some color to your chords in a way that people might not notice, but will give extra body to your sound.

From the Roger Linn website:

...AdrenaLinn III's exclusive Arpeggio Sequences, as used in John Mayer's 2004 hit Bigger Than My Body. In this case, your guitar signal in processed through a sequence of pitched resonances, superimposing patterns of major, minor, chromatic or other note sequences onto your tone. It's sort of like the resonant frequency you'd hear if playing your guitar in a small tiled room, except the size of the room changes up to 32 times over 2 measures in a pattern of specific resonances.

Any of the sequencer effects listed above can be programmed in this way. Warning: you will need a lot of time on your hands if you want to program the sequencer with this 4 knob interface. I would definitely recommend that you try the windows editor interface (not tested for this review - it looks pretty rudimentary) or if you have sounddiver, there is an implementation for that editor as well.

I am not qualified to comment on whether this amp simulator mimics amps better or worse than any of the others on the market. I like it very much; it sounds the way I prefer. Particularly on the distorted settings, I find a lot of amp sims to be sort of lifeless. These did not give me that impression.

Here's the list of models:

Fender Bassman
Fender Black Deluxe Reverb
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Tweed Deluxe
Fender Champ
Marshall JTM-45
Marshall Plexi Super Lead 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall JCM2000
Vox AC30
Vox AC15
Roland Jazz Chorus
Hiwatt DR103
Mesa Boogie Mark II
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Soldano SLO-100
Bogner Uberschall
Diezel VH4
ENGL Powerball
Peavey 5150 MkII
Bogner Ecstasy
Budda Twinmaster
Matchless Chieftain
Bass amp: Acoustic 360
Bass amp: Ampeg SVT
Bass amp: Gallien-Krueger 800RB
Bass amp: SWR SM-500
Distortion pedal: Fuzz Tone
Distortion pedal: Octave Fuzz
Clean mic preamp

The AdrenaLinn III also has some standard multi-effects features: a tuner, noise gate, compressor and reverb.

The drum machine is programmable, but again, I did not attempt to program it. I expect it would not easy with the built-in interface.

Overall, I am very happy to have had a chance to try this out. If you win it, you will be amazed at all the interesting presets. If you like guitars with effects, this is really a great unit.

Just reply to this thread to enter the contest.

Good luck!
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
u2andwho
u2andwho
02/06/2009 1:15 am
That looks and sounds awesome!!!
# 5
welder4
welder4
02/06/2009 2:47 pm
I am replying to the thread so as to enter the contest for the adrenalin guitar processor . I love to make different sounds with my guitar , it is fun to be alone and just play with all the parameters of these kinds of devices .
# 6
h9alyman
h9alyman
02/06/2009 2:52 pm
I know I should be honing my playing skills first but the more I read about effect pedals the more I want one, this one looks so cool :cool:
# 7
StratsGT
StratsGT
02/06/2009 2:53 pm
Sounds amazing.
# 8
arielle hunter
arielle hunter
02/06/2009 2:54 pm
I would really like this. Enter me in the contest please !
# 9
dgately
dgately
02/06/2009 2:55 pm
Please, enter me in this contest!!!

I have wanted to try one of these since version I.

I love to tweak my guitar sounds, so this would be "optimal"...

Thanks,
dgately
# 10
studio52
studio52
02/06/2009 2:58 pm
I hope I win this super effect processor.
# 11
jln3rd
Full Access
jln3rd
Full Access
02/06/2009 3:01 pm
Fingers crossed, it would be a pretty sweet tool to have.
# 12
equator
equator
02/06/2009 3:02 pm
Thanks Jon for the great review.
You did an excellent job describing all the possibilities that this unit has to offer.

Good luck everyone. :)
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 13
swingchief
swingchief
02/06/2009 3:03 pm
Now THIS is somewthing I can use! - RC
# 14
scatman36
scatman36
02/06/2009 3:08 pm
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!.........No really, this effect processor sounds awesome. A ton of versatile tools to use live and for recording................SIGN ME UP! :)
# 15
cfreyer
cfreyer
02/06/2009 3:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Jon Broderick

We are going to give the AdrenaLinn III away to a lucky newsletter reader next week.

I had a Line6 GuitarPort once. Great range of effects, mics, and cabinets. They expanded into the Pod series, but the Pods only focus on the guitar. Seems like the AdrenaLinn III pulls in the missing component for me...drums. Currently I use GarageBand for rhythm and beat, but I'd love to give the AdrenaLinn a try. The sound samples are great. I especially like the Talk Box. Suddenly I feel like Joe Walsh and Peter Frampton! :cool: :)
# 16
halmandery
halmandery
02/06/2009 3:13 pm
I want one!
# 17
marxamax
marxamax
02/06/2009 3:25 pm
This would be my first chance to hear, play, or own something created by Roger Linn if i win this unit. I hear that the modeling sounds on this unit are not the usual lifeless tones of most modelers but have a dimension of sound that might possibly begin to close the gap between true tube sound and solid state circuitry. If this unit performs like they say and I win it, I will stomp on that puppy for all its worth and suck the life out of it as I bend the strings to heaven and scream out in artificial grand harmonics!!!
# 18
finleyg
finleyg
02/06/2009 3:29 pm
What a cool device. Please enter me in the giveaway.

Thanks

Finley Gibbs
# 19
toglevt
toglevt
02/06/2009 3:39 pm
Sign me up...I would love to win this!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.