# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/10/2020 4:53 pm
Originally Posted by: lmf998

How do I get a megadeth type of sound or something close to it. [br][br]

thank you

louie

The truth is; it depend on which album you're trying to target. The tone on Peace Sells, is different than Rust in Peace and different than Countdown to Extinction.

The other question is; are your trying to get it with the gear you have (and if so, what do you have)? Or, are you looking to get new gear?

I know it's not an answer but it's good to know the target you're aiming for and what you have gear-wise to try to get there.

Something to keep in mind, in lots of Megadeth material, the guitar is heavily backed up by Ellefson's bass. For instance in the song Symphonby of Destruction, that punch to tht riff is as much the guitar tone as it is the bass too. I meantion this in that when you're trying to get a fat, chunky tone like that, you don't want to feel like you're coming up short when in fact, part of the tone is also the bass.

With all that said, one of the standard tricks I had in dailing in chunky metal tone was to zero all the tone knobs out. If you have an amp with a Low/Mid/Hi configuration. Set them all to zero. Then just chunk out a palm muted low E note. Then I'd turn the Hi up as I'm chunking that E until the note has a little bit of clarity. Then I'd do the same but with the Low knob until I can hear that chunked E start to get a little fuller. In many cases, I found myself at about the 3 o'clock position on the Hi and between 1 to 2 o'clock with the low. Then I would roll up the mid. For me, in most instances, the Mid never got higher than the 10 o'clock position.

I find mids tend to take the kick out of tone. The Lo gets the 'oomph' and the Hi gets the clarity and dailing in just enough Mid to give it body.

So once that chunking E sounds decent. Start playing some chunky chords and fine tune.

I've used this technique many, many times. So much so in the 80's that the local store I'd frequent (or annoy.....depending on how you look at it :) ), they'd get some new amp or head or something and ask me to give it a whirl to see what I'd get out of it. So I'd do my 'process' above.

The one thing that is hard to do via the internet is to explain how to get an exact tone. However, if you use the right technique to fiddle with it, you can usually find it.

I hope that helps.

# 2
lmf998
Full Access
lmf998
Full Access
11/15/2020 4:28 pm

Thanks Jeffs65. I will experiment with sound to get close to a megadeth sound.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.