Who out here has and uses modeling amps

bcraig_69music
bcraig_69music
04/02/2020 7:37 am

hi for me I live in a very quiet apartment complex so this is a must

I am using a old used modeler from fractal axe 2 xl +

I very much still learn it so much to learn but does sound good

right now try to learn to use old classic fender amp the 57 fender champ amp simulation

I do have a vox 5watt at a friends house very far away

but where I am at no way

"learning to create very emotionally musically phrasing
is a good idea, yeah? Lord please help me
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/02/2020 5:57 pm

Hi bcraig4j,

Modeling amps can be a lot of fun. But are you asking how to use your amp in a quieter setting? Some amps do have a headphone jack, I am not entirely sure for yours however. Would you be able to share a photo of the amp?

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
04/03/2020 2:58 pm

Hi @bcraig4j. I have exactly the same question. Are you asking about playing quietly? I am in a 100% opposite environment from you. I live in the country with my closest neighbor about a mile away!

My main amp is a Fender Blues, Jr, which does not have a headphone jack. For those times requiring quiet practice I use my modeller, a POD HD 500X, and a set of Seinhauser 280 Pro headphones. These are not expensive headphones but I think they sound great.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 3
aschleman
aschleman
04/03/2020 4:17 pm

Modeling amps are great and since they are digital/solid state, they sound the same at any volume. Tube amps require voltage to saturate tubes and aren't suited for lower volume playing depending on the wattage of the amp. Even 5 watt amps can be "loud" in an apartment setting at their saturatio point. Thus, we have many options that have come about in the market place to help with your porblem. As mentioned above, most solid state/digital amps have headphone outputs. If you have a capable computer, you can purchase one of the many "e-rig" options that are out there. Line6 has many products in this vein that allow you to model through your computer or tablet and listen through standard desktop speakers or headphones.

Another product out there that is really intriguing, depending on your budget, is the new Waza Craft bluetooth headphone amp from Boss. Looks to be a pretty cool little piece of gear.

Hope this helps!

# 4
dearan.ferris
dearan.ferris
06/08/2020 6:42 pm

I use a Yamaha THR10ii because I just don't have the need for a big amp and I'm solely a bedroom player and trying not to annoy the neighbours.

Only had it a few days but loving it already and especially the fact I can get good tones at low volumes.

# 5
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
06/08/2020 6:52 pm

Like the original poster I also use a Fractal Axe-FX II XL+. I love it!

One major tip for using this device -- install Axe-Edit on your computer and connect with USB. It makes the design of your effects chains and pedals and amp models so easy compared to the buttons and knobs on the front of the device.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 6
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
06/08/2020 8:00 pm

I've recently purchased the line 6 spider v

love it so far, get amazing tones & effects from it.

also has drum loops to play along with.

can also play music through it which I like.

# 7
Carl King
Carl King
06/08/2020 8:31 pm

By the way -- I just remembered I made a little demo of a bunch of the Fractal sounds I used on my last album. It was a lot of outer-spacey prog rock stuff (influenced by Passion & Warfare), so for those who are into those types of effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z9bd3rMANA

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 8
craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
06/26/2020 4:48 pm

I'm bracing myself to purchase a Katana 50w to use at home. If you search out David Simpson on YouTube, he shows how versatile and usable it is - his version of John Frusciante's guitar tone using it is amazing, especially when you consider that JF is using two tube amp stacks cranked to the max!

# 9
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
06/26/2020 6:35 pm
Originally Posted by: dearan.ferris

I use a Yamaha THR10ii because I just don't have the need for a big amp and I'm solely a bedroom player and trying not to annoy the neighbours.

Only had it a few days but loving it already and especially the fact I can get good tones at low volumes.

Dearan,

Glad to hear your enjoying that THR. When I get to the point of buying am amp, it will probably be a THR or Katana. I've probably watched 1000 hours of youtube review and comparison videos. Wondering if you in-person demo'd other amps (particularly the Katana, but any really) and what made you go with the THR. I was watching an Anderton comparison the other night and they thought the Katana and THR sounded comparable but at twice the price for the THR, they seemed to prefer the Katana. I love the compact size of that THR though. Easy to carry from bedroom to living room and back, or wherever.

Edit: PS - without headphones, do you find that you can play it at a low enough volume? Like, you can talk over it for example or be in one room and not really hear it in another room? Thanks.

# 10
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
06/27/2020 1:51 am

I got a Fender GTX100 an absolutely love it!

# 11
Old Bones
Full Access
Old Bones
Full Access
06/29/2020 7:52 am

I have a line 6 Spider V30. I am constantly blown away by the sounds I can get out of it. One of my current tones is a modelled dumble amp with a tube screamer, analog delay and a Fender Spring Reverb... and it cost me about $150.

However, I do not like the speaker so I use the line out to some external powered speakers and it sounds great. In fact I run it through a small mixer so I can also input my backing tracks and control it all through the mixer. I can then run my headphones off the mixer as well.

With this set up I am really using it as an effects processor and it does a great job.

Cheers

Stephen J

# 12
craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
07/18/2020 6:00 pm

I got an Katana 50w Mk1 on eBay for £140 last week. It's been a revelation in terms of sound and features, but really great feature is the capacity to knock it down to 0.25. I live in on old Edwardian property with single-glazed windows, so I'm very aware of noise leakage and this amp is perfect for getting a cranked noise without the neighbours getting antsy.

# 13
ypressalient
Full Access
ypressalient
Full Access
11/25/2020 7:36 pm

The Spark 40 (40w) by Positive Grid, Will work as stand alone or with Andoid or Iphone via Blue ToothTablet to control effects/tones. Has jam along, 30 amps and lots of effect pedals. Very compact with headphone socket and and USB (connect to PC or Mac).

https://www.positivegrid.com/

Black Friday for next 5 days 30% off.

# 14
dearan.ferris
dearan.ferris
11/25/2020 10:06 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke
Originally Posted by: dearan.ferris

Dearan,

Glad to hear your enjoying that THR. When I get to the point of buying am amp, it will probably be a THR or Katana. I've probably watched 1000 hours of youtube review and comparison videos. Wondering if you in-person demo'd other amps (particularly the Katana, but any really) and what made you go with the THR. I was watching an Anderton comparison the other night and they thought the Katana and THR sounded comparable but at twice the price for the THR, they seemed to prefer the Katana. I love the compact size of that THR though. Easy to carry from bedroom to living room and back, or wherever.

Edit: PS - without headphones, do you find that you can play it at a low enough volume? Like, you can talk over it for example or be in one room and not really hear it in another room? Thanks.

Sorry, completely forgot about this forum... and now it's 5 months later.

I also watched loads of videos on youtube with the Katana, Adio and Thr, and a bit later, the Spark.

I ended up going with the Yamaha because the more I read the more often I came across good reviews for it. I'd never tried any of them and just went on a whim really. That and being a bit drunk at the time (screw it...hit the click button).

I've recently bought a Deluxe Reverb Tone Master because I got a bargain on it and I'm using the Yamaha less for actual playing but a lot more for the hi-fi aspect of it.

You can definitely play really, really quietly on it. I can even hear the guitar strings over it if I put everything down low. People in my house can't hear it unless they really listen for it.

Would still by one again

# 15
camillestewa1
camillestewa1
02/23/2021 7:45 am

Modeling amps are great and since they are digital/solid state, they sound the same at any volume. Tube amps require voltage to saturate tubes and aren't suited for lower volume playing depending on the wattage of the amp. Even 5 watt amps can be "loud" in an apartment setting at their saturatio point.[br]Videos

# 16
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/23/2021 2:54 pm

I have used headphones on my amp for practice reasons for years. However as of late I am working on tone and it seems to me the sound in the headphones if good but diffrent from what I hear in a room with my modeling amp cranked up. It seems to me that for this purpose the full room sound is what I need to master the subtleties of tone. Maybe it is my hearing going out or maybe it is just the sound of one hemisphere farting.... Anyway, anybody out there have a similar experience?

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 17
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/26/2021 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

I have used headphones on my amp for practice reasons for years. However as of late I am working on tone and it seems to me the sound in the headphones if good but diffrent from what I hear in a room with my modeling amp cranked up. It seems to me that for this purpose the full room sound is what I need to master the subtleties of tone. Maybe it is my hearing going out or maybe it is just the sound of one hemisphere farting.... Anyway, anybody out there have a similar experience?

I've been a tone junky since the get go and I've told the story of the guitar store I hung out at (annoyed, to be accurate) would have me try new amps just to see what I could get out of them. I recall one guy saying that I'd get tone out of a 'tin can and a fart'. So take that for what it's worth.

The point here is that, yep, to really dial in that sweet tone, it does require a room and the actual physical movement of the speaker pushing air in to that room. Impulse Responses and the like have done much to emulate a speaker and do a fine job. However, if I'm going for a tone that carries impact, moving air in a room can't be beat.

Still, I often practice with my headphones plugged in to my Mac and connected to the Positive Grid Bias FX2 app and I'm perfectly happy with that.

# 18
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/27/2021 12:04 am

Thanks Jeff

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 19
JOMJ
JOMJ
02/27/2021 3:37 pm

Yamaha THR10ii

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.