Laney Cub 12r jazz

bbriant
bbriant
09/04/2019 6:42 am

I have a Laney Cub 12r. I upgraded the H-H speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30 and the valve set to JJs.

I generely play a Epiphone Joe Pass with P90s through it.

My Question is does anyone know the settings to play jazz on this amp, I was told its not possible? I see a guy on youtube who had made a good attempt at it but I cannot find the link anymore and i cannot remember the settings he used. I Know he had no pedals or any outside source connected..

If not any suggestions for a jazz amp around about the same price range £350.

Barry

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2019 12:28 pm
Originally Posted by: bbriant

I have a Laney Cub 12r. I upgraded the H-H speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30 and the valve set to JJs.

I generely play a Epiphone Joe Pass with P90s through it.

My Question is does anyone know the settings to play jazz on this amp, I was told its not possible? I see a guy on youtube who had made a good attempt at it but I cannot find the link anymore and i cannot remember the settings he used. I Know he had no pedals or any outside source connected..

If not any suggestions for a jazz amp around about the same price range £350.

Barry

This video shows a guy playing a jazz box into a Laney Cub. Go to about 1:24 for a clean tone. It's not really jazz, he's more playing R&B type licks. But it is a super clean tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grEQeZlCKZI

I'm not sure what type of jazz tone you are aiming for. The classic old school tone is very clean, bass heavy & flat, no reverb. So you could easily do that with this amp.

Keep the tone & gain low tone, turn the treble down, the mids & the bass up. Reverb optional. I like a little reverb personally.

This guy is playing pretty straight ahead jazz & includes the settings. He sets the treble a little higher than I would for a traditional jazz tone. But it sounds great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B9gPhBQBBM

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
bbriant
bbriant
09/04/2019 2:45 pm

Hi Christopher

Thanks for your help.

I tried the settings you said and where I was going wrong, I was using just the volume with no gain at all.

I put the reverb on 3 the tone 2, the volume 3,5 bass 6 middle 5,treble 3, and the gain 1.5 nice warm tone.

before it was sounding thin but with the gain good, I thought the gain was only for rock?

Well you live and learn.

I will try a few more setting now I know.

Thanks again.

Barry

# 3
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
08/28/2023 1:01 pm

the original post was 4 yrs ago, i think they've more than likely figured out a solution

edited
# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/28/2023 5:04 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x

the original post was 4 yrs ago, i think they've more than likely figured out a solution

No worries.  That post contains a spam link and will be removed soon.

EDIT:  And just like that...  That spam along with nine other spam posts were gone in less than 30 minutes after reporting.  👍   Good on Leo and the rest of the Help Desk/Admin guys!

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.