"That" solo tone?

nkariyawasam
nkariyawasam
01/04/2019 8:19 pm

I was trying to dial solo tone similar to you tube video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPT3GD5EpTQ" by Kfir Ochaion on a Peavey Vypyr VIP2 without much success.

I appreciate any help to dial that tone (may be add another padel) !- Nick.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/04/2019 10:14 pm

Hey, Nick!

Originally Posted by: nkariyawasam

I was trying to dial solo tone similar to you tube video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPT3GD5EpTQ" by Kfir Ochaion on a Peavey Vypyr VIP2 without much success.

Those Peavey amps are very versatile, lots of amp models & effects. So congrats on a good amp with more than enough options to get any tone you might need.

What guitar are you using? Note that the video you linked the guitarist is using a Strat with single coils & switching beetween the neck & bridge pickup.

With that in mind you are aiming for a fairly high gain tone with a little reverb & some delay. You can hear the gain saturation pretty clearly throughout the vid. And the reverb is also obvious. The delay is a little less obvious, but it really fleshes out the tone for those long held notes.

Start with one of the higher gain amp models, like the 6505 or the XXX. Then dial up the pre-gain to about 50-75%. Start with the EQ all set to about 50% (low, mid, high), then you can adjust as necessary once you get going.

For the reverb & delay the owner's manual reads that you have to enter edit mode. Then you can adjust the reverb & delay with the same knobs used for mid, high & post-gain (look on the front panel).

Set the reverb to about 10-20%. That tone is pretty saturated with reverb, but you don't want to drown in echo chamber land! Finally, find a good dealy setting that gives you one or two repeats right after the intial note sounds. The number of repeats is controlled by the feedback setting. Turn the delay level down so it doesn't overwhelm the initial note you play.

That should get you in the ballpark! Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
nkariyawasam
nkariyawasam
01/09/2019 1:48 am

Hi Christropher, Thank you for the great information !

I have Strat ( Squre). Yes I was trying all amp models, but I think I made a mistake by starting at very high pre-grain. As per your suggestion, I did pre-gain around 50% and I was able to get good approxoimation with 6505 amp model !

Thanks again ! - Nick.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/09/2019 2:50 pm
Originally Posted by: nkariyawasam

Hi Christropher, Thank you for the great information !

I have Strat ( Squre). Yes I was trying all amp models, but I think I made a mistake by starting at very high pre-grain. As per your suggestion, I did pre-gain around 50% and I was able to get good approxoimation with 6505 amp model !

Good deal. You're welcome! Have fun with that tone!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.