Trying to get Blues sound set up..

Rob_W
Full Access
Rob_W
Full Access
06/01/2018 9:05 pm

As a beginner trying to learn Blues, I can’t seem to get a blues sound dialed in. Can anyone recommend specific dial settings so I can have a starting spot? My brand-new pedal sounds much more like a crunch than a standard blues sound. For equipment I have:

[br]- Epiphone LP Standard Pro[br]- Marshall DSL20CR 20-watt 1x12" Tube Combo[br]- Ibanez TS Tube Screamer

Thank you very much!

Rob

# 1
Fliegenschwein
Fliegenschwein
06/02/2018 10:52 am

If it helps at all, I recently bought a Mooer Blues Mood pedal to solve exactly the same thing and I'm loving it. Its an inexpensive pedal too. Might be worth checking out

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/02/2018 5:05 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: Rob_W

As a beginner trying to learn Blues, I can’t seem to get a blues sound dialed in. Can anyone recommend specific dial settings so I can have a starting spot?

[/quote]

What blues sound are you after? Can you name a certain song or artist that you are trying to emulate? Some players use less gain. Some play totally clean!

Also, are you working through the Blues course? Anders offers a lot of great advice on gear & tone settings throughout the courses.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=blues1

He starts almost every tutorial with a brief explanation of gear settings. And Chapter 6 is a whole section devoted to gear & tone settings.

[quote=Rob_W]

My brand-new pedal sounds much more like a crunch than a standard blues sound. For equipment I have:

[br]- Epiphone LP Standard Pro[br]- Marshall DSL20CR 20-watt 1x12" Tube Combo[br]- Ibanez TS Tube Screamer

Nice gear! That's a fun little amp. But it has potentially way too much gain for most blues tones. My first suggestion is to turn all the gain off & don't use the pedal yet.

Start on the classic gain channel. Turn the gain to about 25%. Then turn the volume up to a comfortable level. Learn & practice playing blues rhythm guitar with that setting.

When you want a bit more bite & hair for lead licks, plug in the TS. Turn the knobs to about 50%. Adjust the level until you have "parity". That means that the volume when the pedal is off & on is about the same. The only thing that really changes is you get a little more gain & sustain; and most importantly, bite on the higher frets. That's really what the TS is best at for blues: simulating the clean boost of the old school treble boosters so your higher fret lead licks don't just sound thin & "plunky". They sing & sustain.

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary! Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Rob_W
Full Access
Rob_W
Full Access
06/06/2018 6:23 pm

Thank you both! I am currently working through the Anders lessons and I will look again at the tone points that he makes plus your suggestions. I didn't recall he specified pedal settings but I'll look again.

Rob

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2018 12:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Rob_W

Thank you both! I am currently working through the Anders lessons and I will look again at the tone points that he makes plus your suggestions. I didn't recall he specified pedal settings but I'll look again.

You're welcome. I think the main thing to start with is less gain!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.