Pickup vs amp upgrade

Bbmuddywolf
Bbmuddywolf
08/09/2016 2:36 am
Just looking for some help to figure out how to get better sound and tone from my setup. I have a stock Epiphone G-400 that I play through a Marshall Mg 15w amp. The tones I hear sound very deadened--like the strings had been choked. There is little sustain, though it does improve as I move from the clean channel more into the over-driven channels. I had thought maybe a new bridge upgrade might help (I was looking at the Seymour Duncan SH-5). But I also wondered if the amp might be part of the problem as I have read elsewhere that this particular Marshall model is not very good. I have been looking at the Line 6 Spider iii / iv 75w mostly for the sound presets.

I am a bedroom player using earphones most of the time with a very small budget for gear. I want to make sure that my purchase will make a difference to what I am hearing now.
# 1
tatzelwurm109
tatzelwurm109
08/09/2016 3:59 pm

I've been through a series of small amps over the past two years, including the MG15 and Fender Frontman 15. Because I live in an apartment, I couldn't turn either of them up sufficiently to get their true tone. Same thing with the Vox Mini 5, but on that one the effects models were driving me crazy. I prefer pedals. I haven't tried the Line 6 Spider, but they seem to be very popular. A few months ago, I opted for the 10W Vox Pathfinder because I wanted a low power amp without any onboard effects. Just Volume, Gain, Bass, and Treble controls with two channels for clean and overdrive. It also has a Line Out/Headphone jack. The tone is very good and I'm really happy with it.
# 2
bookas58
bookas58
08/10/2016 2:44 am

For an apartment , try one of the many 1 watt models out there , I won't go into brands , just try a few out . That way you can push it hard and not bring the walls down , some guys use them on stage cranked up and mic them up . Should still be plenty loud though , My Egnater Rebel 30 has variable wattage , at home , I have it set to 1 watt . On the dirty channel , the gain is maxxed and the master volume is just above zero . Still plenty loud . Watts vs Volume is a strange thing , there are a lot of variables . One set of figures I found said that you have to double your wattage to get another 3 decibels , Then there is speaker efficiences etc , it certainly doesn't mean a 5 watt Blackstar is going to push the same amount of air as 100 watt Marshall.
# 3
Bbmuddywolf
Bbmuddywolf
08/10/2016 2:27 pm

I guess I was not clear enough in my thread starter. First thing I'm not located in an apartment setting. I have my own place. The reason for the headphones is that I usually play once the wife goes to bed. I do once or twice a week when she leaves for town turn things up a bit.

Secondly and more importantly is that I wanted to know whether it was possible to diagnose the sound I am currently hearing from my setup and determine whether the pickup or amp should be changed.

# 4
RCB-CA-USA
RCB-CA-USA
08/15/2016 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by: Bbmuddywolf
Secondly and more importantly is that I wanted to know whether it was possible to diagnose the sound I am currently hearing from my setup and determine whether the pickup or amp should be changed.

Barring a bad setup:

Have you experimented with guitar picks and strings? Two of the hugest tone improvements in tone come from guitar strings and guitar picks. I have guitar picks that make bright strings sound worn and guitar strings the brightest picks won't effect.

It's like night and day between a bad pick and string combo and a good pick and string combo.

If you're happy with your strings and pick, amp settings have a huge effect on tone.

A good pickup helps.

After all that and your guitar still doesn't sustain and sing, it's junk, get another guitar!

And, you don't need to spend a lot of money on a good guitar. I've got a $150.00 Jackson that sounds as good as and plays as good as all import guitars I've played around $1,000.00. A jaw dropper my roommate won in a bar raffle. But also, don't skimp if you don't need to, good wood and a high quality guitar are real nice too. But the Jackson reveals big money doesn't necessarily mean big tone. I sold off a Gibson SG Standard that just didn't cut it for me, the cheap Jackson replacing the SG because it just works, always, no finiky issues.
# 5
Bbmuddywolf
Bbmuddywolf
08/16/2016 12:38 am

Originally Posted by: 91362
[QUOTE=Bbmuddywolf]

Barring a bad setup:

Have you experimented with guitar picks and strings? Two of the hugest tone improvements in tone come from guitar strings and guitar picks. I have guitar picks that make bright strings sound worn and guitar strings the brightest picks won't effect.

It's like night and day between a bad pick and string combo and a good pick and string combo.[/ft QUOTE]

I will be taking it to check the setup but it has not been to my liking from the get go. I have tried s couple different strings but had not noticed much difference. Do you have any insight on brands and their typical characteristics? For lack of descriptive terms I am looking for a tone similar to an Angus Young.
# 6
compart1
compart1
08/27/2016 12:00 pm
If you can, try your guitar through another amp, and you amp with another guitar.. Does your sound compare with what it was brand new.,,
Member 32916 mention a set-up.. If you had a chance to do the trial with other gear and you found the guitar to be the culprit and the strings have not been changed for a while, get you some new ones.. Worn and dirty strings can deaden the sound. If you are lucky that did the trick. If no,t go the set-up route. String and pick up height relation can muddy your sound. have your tech check the set up to see if a set up is warranted. You may have a jewel.. Good luck, hope you get things rocking..
# 7
Bbmuddywolf
Bbmuddywolf
09/03/2016 4:27 am

Thanks for the help. By way of an update I had my guitar checked out and all the settings were fine. At the same time I was able to plug into a few different amps which provided the answer I was looking for. Turns out my Marshal MG15 is not a good fit for my Epi G400. I will now be looking to replace it.
# 8
splatter1
splatter1
09/05/2017 9:57 pm

Sounds like you figured it out .

Just a word about volume . If you want a tube amp but are worried about the volume . Get one that has a series effects loop and put a volume pedal in the loop. You can get really good tone at a low level . I've been doing it for years .

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.