The METAL sound!

Hjorvard
Hjorvard
08/23/2008 7:10 am
Okay so I've started a new project. The music isn't very technically engaging as the idea behind the sound lies within inspiration from metal bands such as anvil, jaguar, raven, venom, ect ect.. I want to get an old school sound for my music, but with massive crunch and distortion. Kind of like black sabbath with a death metal edge I guess. I was thinking for that I could used a ring modulator, a treble booster, and perhaps a metal master digitech distortion pedal? Problem is, I own none of these things, and I am also not made of money.

So...any suggestions on affordable versions of these things? I am definitely gonna go for the metal master pedal for this project as I can swing fifty or more bucks for it, but I am to understand that a ring mod and treble boost are in the hundreds.

Also if you have any suggestions on what gear to aqquire to get a mega heavy old school metal sound, that would be greatly appreciated thanks.
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/24/2008 4:49 pm
The metal master will be your main purchase as that will give you the base of your sound (besides your guitar.) I'd get that first, then see what you want to boost or add from there.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
08/24/2008 10:00 pm
Are you going to be mainly recording or playing live?
If you're main focus is on recording...Find a used J-Station and never let go of it....ever!!!! LOL
Layering stuff with the Rectifier & Brit Hi-Gain models is still one of my favorite "heavy" tones out there. For the price..it's very tough to beat.

Don
# 3
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
08/26/2008 9:05 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccThe metal master will be your main purchase as that will give you the base of your sound (besides your guitar.) I'd get that first, then see what you want to boost or add from there.

Yeah that's my initial plan of attack I think.
# 4
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
08/26/2008 9:08 am
Originally Posted by: ChipShankAre you going to be mainly recording or playing live?
If you're main focus is on recording...Find a used J-Station and never let go of it....ever!!!! LOL
Layering stuff with the Rectifier & Brit Hi-Gain models is still one of my favorite "heavy" tones out there. For the price..it's very tough to beat.

Don

Right now my main focus is recording definitely, so I will check out the j-station. How much would you say these cost, ballpark estimate?
# 5
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
08/26/2008 6:37 pm
You should be able to find one on Ebay for under $100 usually...or right around that price.
The problem is, that they're not being made anymore....So Ebay or local used equipment dealers are about the only places you'll find them. There is almost always at least a couple of them on Ebay at any given time though.
For live stuff, they don't work as well, since there is a noticable gap in the sound when changing patches...but for home/multi-track recording, for the price they are hard to beat. For straight up Metal tones, they still sound better to my ears, than almost anything out there for 4-5 times the price. They also work great for the bass, which is sweet, since you don't need a separate unit for recording your bass lines.

I've used it on my tunes, for about 50% of the rhythm tracks and pretty much every single bass line that I've done since I picked up mine.

Don
# 6
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
08/31/2008 7:59 am
Originally Posted by: ChipShankYou should be able to find one on Ebay for under $100 usually...or right around that price.
The problem is, that they're not being made anymore....So Ebay or local used equipment dealers are about the only places you'll find them. There is almost always at least a couple of them on Ebay at any given time though.
For live stuff, they don't work as well, since there is a noticable gap in the sound when changing patches...but for home/multi-track recording, for the price they are hard to beat. For straight up Metal tones, they still sound better to my ears, than almost anything out there for 4-5 times the price. They also work great for the bass, which is sweet, since you don't need a separate unit for recording your bass lines.

I've used it on my tunes, for about 50% of the rhythm tracks and pretty much every single bass line that I've done since I picked up mine.

Don

Sweet! I'll have to check that out. Oh by the way I checked out some of your tunes and man you are damn good. You like Savatage at all?
# 7
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
08/31/2008 11:39 pm
Oh yeah!
Love Savatage! I started playing in the early-mid 80's and was really into a lot of those bands that we affectionately dubbed "Sword-Metal". I am very influenced by the Shrapnel Era shredders of course...but when it really comes down to it...along with Marty Friedman & Chris Poland, these are my main guys...

Thanks for the compliments BTW!
Don
# 8
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
09/01/2008 6:19 am
Originally Posted by: ChipShankOh yeah!
Love Savatage! I started playing in the early-mid 80's and was really into a lot of those bands that we affectionately dubbed "Sword-Metal". I am very influenced by the Shrapnel Era shredders of course...but when it really comes down to it...along with Marty Friedman & Chris Poland, these are my main guys...

Thanks for the compliments BTW!
Don

My pleasure! My fave guitarists are Hank Shermann and Michael Denner (Mercyful Fate) Any Laroque and Pete Blakk (King Diamond) Jeff Waters (Annihilator) Alex Skolnick (Testament) and others, so I guess that's sorta old school as well.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.