I want to break free

Guitar Tricks Forum > Tone and Effects > I want to break free

alfiboy

Brian May

Brian May uses a special guitar, made himself. This is the reason. Simply, you cannot get the same effect.

Brian May

Brian May uses a special guitar, made himself. This is the reason. Simply, you cannot get the same effect.

crazyguy

Resistance is futile. I am being assimilated. Oh, my knee.
BRIAN MAY IS GOD AND HIS GUITAR IS MADE FROM SUCH STRANGE OAK FIREPLACE THAT IT SOUNDS IDENTICAL TO A SYNTH. ON OCCASIONS. IT'S A REALLY STRANGE PIECE OF WOOD. EITHER THAT OR MR. MAY IS A SYNTH HIMSELF AND FINDS IT COMFORTABLE TO EXPRESS MUSICALLY IN SUCH FASHION.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:

Resistance is futile. I am being assimilated. Oh, my knee.
BRIAN MAY IS GOD AND HIS GUITAR IS MADE FROM SUCH STRANGE OAK FIREPLACE THAT IT SOUNDS IDENTICAL TO A SYNTH. ON OCCASIONS. IT'S A REALLY STRANGE PIECE OF WOOD. EITHER THAT OR MR. MAY IS A SYNTH HIMSELF AND FINDS IT COMFORTABLE TO EXPRESS MUSICALLY IN SUCH FASHION.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:

gardenofsound

"Weird" pieces of wood do not make guitars sound like synths, and anyone who disagrees has no idea about what goes into the sound of a guitar. It may give a slightly different tonal quality in terms of frequency (mahogany is darker than swamp ash, etc) but it will not drastically change the ADSR (that's Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release) qualities of the instrument.

My guess on the guitar solo is that he is using an EQ with alternating boosted/cut frequencies (for those of you who have graphic EQ's, try alternating each frequency band with a heavy boost then a heavy cut and it will sound like a phaser at a certain point of the sweep) along with a heavy noise gate to kill the sustain and make the notes end rather suddenly. Add a light flange and you should be about there.

That's all speculation but I've gotten close to that sound excluding the noise gate.

"Weird" pieces of wood do not make guitars sound like synths, and anyone who disagrees has no idea about what goes into the sound of a guitar. It may give a slightly different tonal quality in terms of frequency (mahogany is darker than swamp ash, etc) but it will not drastically change the ADSR (that's Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release) qualities of the instrument.

My guess on the guitar solo is that he is using an EQ with alternating boosted/cut frequencies (for those of you who have graphic EQ's, try alternating each frequency band with a heavy boost then a heavy cut and it will sound like a phaser at a certain point of the sweep) along with a heavy noise gate to kill the sustain and make the notes end rather suddenly. Add a light flange and you should be about there.

That's all speculation but I've gotten close to that sound excluding the noise gate.

eugene.clewlow

I think someone ruled out it being a synth because of the bends ... (?)

Isn’t that what the pitch bend wheel is for?

Also the pitch drop that ends the solo seems to go quite low. I’m not a guitar expert, but wouldn’t you need like a Floyd rose bridge to go that low? I like guitar effects and all, especially all the money I spent on them. But to me it seems like I’d need a sh*t ton of effect pedals and tweaking to get the exact sound that a great synth like a Jupiter or CS-80 can get with just the VCA and VCF envelopes. And I can play this on keyboard. It does not sound polyphonic either to me.

I think someone ruled out it being a synth because of the bends ... (?)

Isn’t that what the pitch bend wheel is for?

Also the pitch drop that ends the solo seems to go quite low. I’m not a guitar expert, but wouldn’t you need like a Floyd rose bridge to go that low? I like guitar effects and all, especially all the money I spent on them. But to me it seems like I’d need a sh*t ton of effect pedals and tweaking to get the exact sound that a great synth like a Jupiter or CS-80 can get with just the VCA and VCF envelopes. And I can play this on keyboard. It does not sound polyphonic either to me.

ancestoragent

To settle this once and for all the solo was played by Fred Mandel (occasional touring keyboard player) on a keyboard. See this to get the confirmation straight from the horse's mouth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlG5SxvYSqA

To settle this once and for all the solo was played by Fred Mandel (occasional touring keyboard player) on a keyboard. See this to get the confirmation straight from the horse's mouth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlG5SxvYSqA