computer programs

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
08/05/2003 6:49 pm
what's a good, fairly cheap computer program for recording
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/05/2003 9:33 pm
I haven't tried it but I can't see going wrong with ProTools Free. You're limited to 8 tracks but with some creative bouncing that shouldn't be a problem. The only drawback is if you're brand new to audio recording, the learning curve is pretty steep. Cubase VST took me maybe a day to figure out the basics but more than a year later I'm still learning..and that's after having the midi version for 10 years.
The hardest part about recording audio digitally is getting your head wrapped around how to print effects so you can free up your cpu, and realizing that when bouncing tracks, you can't do it in real-time.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/05/2003 11:28 pm
I using SONAR XL 2.2, it is expensive (400 USD) but pretty user friendly. A better place to start may be ProTools which is the industry standard (the free version is limited to Win 98 I think) or Cakewalk Guitar tracks / guitar tracks pro:

http://www.cakewalk.com/guitarists.asp

I havenā€™t used either of these but I think Incidents Happen uses them !

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
08/05/2003 11:32 pm
I use Magix Audio Studio Delux. Works fine for what I need and it only cost me $60. As many tracks as you need, EQ all the stuff you would need.

http://www.magix.com

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/05/2003 11:45 pm
Cool !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/06/2003 5:49 am
Originally posted by Dr_simon
I using SONAR XL 2.2, it is expensive (400 USD) but pretty user friendly. A better place to start may be ProTools which is the industry standard (the free version is limited to Win 98 I think) or Cakewalk Guitar tracks / guitar tracks pro:

http://www.cakewalk.com/guitarists.asp

I havenā€™t used either of these but I think Incidents Happen uses them !

:D Everyone seems to know what gear I use! I love it!

I own Cakewalk GuitarTracks 2.0 - Let me tell you that it is the easiest recording software you will ever come across. You can purchase the 8 track version of Cakewalk 2.0 for $50 or $60 bucks, or the 32 track for about $100 bucks, and a few more features.

Me? I got the 8 tracks for $50 bucks, which unless you are recording drums, 8 tracks is plenty.

Many an inspirational moment has been captured on Cakewalk 2.0 - Check out the trial version, first; Think of it this way, some of the more complex programs have more features, etc, but starting out on a simple program like Cakewalk Guitar Tracks is the best way to ease into the world of recording. With Cakewalk's help, I was able to educate myself on the art of Sound Recording, and now I've had three offers from my city's local Recording Studio to be a session player/Mix-man. I keep turning them down because of my age, and a lack of transportation...No car, what a bitch, eh!?

~ Incidents

[Edited by Incidents Happen on 08-06-2003 at 12:54 AM]
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/06/2003 12:19 pm
well - the only thing i can reccomend (AGAIN) is EmagicĀ“s Logic Audio Platinum. all othre proggies are nice and work depending on the standards you have, but as for logic, there is none better.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7
atodd
atodd
08/25/2003 9:53 am
I use a chopping/editing program to create my songs. ACID Pro. I paid around $250 for it. The learning curve is pretty extreme, but you can do just about anything with it.
# 8
dfroom
dfroom
08/28/2003 10:01 pm
It depends on what you want to do. If you need to use midi then I would look at sonar or cubase, ones in that class. If all you want to do is record audio then the Cake walk guitar tracks pro would be my choice.
It costs a little more than the guitar tracks 2 but has more plugins and a better drum program.
If money is tight though go with the guitar tracks 2 and upgrade later, Cakewalk has one of the best upgrade programs around.
# 9
fiddler
fiddler
08/30/2003 10:52 pm
Well for the price I was pretty happy to buy the M-Box that came with the Pro Tools light version of the software (you still get 32 tracks). I found it realativley easy to learn (I stayed away from reading the manual as it was too confusing, but there were some really infomative websites that hepled me learn it fast and bypassed a lot of crap). I bought the M-Box and the software for $635.00 Canadian at Long & McQuade in Toronto. Don't know what that translates in Amreican funds. Anyway, it got me started off real nice.

Dave
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.