Looper question

Guitar Tricks Forum > Recording > Looper question

OnTheRopes

Originally Posted by: kvsealegs

Cool Beans! I really like the Digitech Trio. I don't know what your budget is, but you can get that pedal with or without a looper. I think it would be worth the extra to have the looper available.

The Digitech Trio plus is the one to get and on my shopping list now.

Originally Posted by: kvsealegs

Cool Beans! I really like the Digitech Trio. I don't know what your budget is, but you can get that pedal with or without a looper. I think it would be worth the extra to have the looper available.

The Digitech Trio plus is the one to get and on my shopping list now.

manXcat

Full Access

Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

Their are more options than i thought. The most cost effective one might be the best, even if there seems to be a longer lurning curve.

What's your budget Steve?

Christopher Schlegel has given you a comprehensive roundup on recording and playback for evaluation or to play along, but IME DAWs require a PC or laptop and have quite a learning curve to use effectively. I currently use Audacity (donationware) with the USB out of my Blackstar modelling amp, but am looking at buying a copy of Reaper.

I'm a relative newbie too. Because I don't want to record to make vids for a You Tube channel, I find the simplicity and freedom of looper a really practical handy fun tool and training aid. I'm fortunate not to be technologically challenged, but in saying that, sometimes simple is best. I have two, one simple, the other,...less simple.

In my experience we learn best when we're enjoying the experience, and whilst a challenge to maintain interest and learn new things is always necessary if we are to progress, I think it's also wise not to make things unnecessarily complicated so we can maintain focus on the objective, nor bite of more than we can chew so we can assimilate at a rate which results in our ability to demonstrate some new skill or understanding with each lesson which provides a sense or feeling of accomplishment rather than frustration or failure.

My more techno looper is a NUX Loop Core which is a Boss RC-3 clone with pretty much the same features but at about a third of the Boss' price. it has a learning curve, but it packed with features. However, I also have a Flanger Kokko SOS looper mini pedal which is a reliable cheap Ditto TC clone, again for about a third of the Ditto's price, and about as simple to operate as you can get. It's perfect for KIS keep it simple methodology. Up to 5 minute tracks with endless overdubs within that parameter. If you're at all curious about looping, grab one of those. They're an inexpensive way to dip your feet in the water. Simple yet effective. A lot of fun.

A metronome is prerequisite. Like headstock and soundhole tuners, I prefer physical standalones in those devices over apps or software. Decent metronomes like those from Korg -which I have and use, are inexpensive. If you don't have one, budget for one. You'll want it later if not now.

I heartily recommend a looper remembering that most of us are doing this for the fun in the journey rather than to earn our living, and simple loopers like the Kokko or Ditto loopers are definitely fun, and easy to use with a monkey see monkey do learning curve. Must be if I can use one!

Cheers.

"Life is just a bowl of cherries ...."

Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

Their are more options than i thought. The most cost effective one might be the best, even if there seems to be a longer lurning curve.

What's your budget Steve?

Christopher Schlegel has given you a comprehensive roundup on recording and playback for evaluation or to play along, but IME DAWs require a PC or laptop and have quite a learning curve to use effectively. I currently use Audacity (donationware) with the USB out of my Blackstar modelling amp, but am looking at buying a copy of Reaper.

I'm a relative newbie too. Because I don't want to record to make vids for a You Tube channel, I find the simplicity and freedom of looper a really practical handy fun tool and training aid. I'm fortunate not to be technologically challenged, but in saying that, sometimes simple is best. I have two, one simple, the other,...less simple.

In my experience we learn best when we're enjoying the experience, and whilst a challenge to maintain interest and learn new things is always necessary if we are to progress, I think it's also wise not to make things unnecessarily complicated so we can maintain focus on the objective, nor bite of more than we can chew so we can assimilate at a rate which results in our ability to demonstrate some new skill or understanding with each lesson which provides a sense or feeling of accomplishment rather than frustration or failure.

My more techno looper is a NUX Loop Core which is a Boss RC-3 clone with pretty much the same features but at about a third of the Boss' price. it has a learning curve, but it packed with features. However, I also have a Flanger Kokko SOS looper mini pedal which is a reliable cheap Ditto TC clone, again for about a third of the Ditto's price, and about as simple to operate as you can get. It's perfect for KIS keep it simple methodology. Up to 5 minute tracks with endless overdubs within that parameter. If you're at all curious about looping, grab one of those. They're an inexpensive way to dip your feet in the water. Simple yet effective. A lot of fun.

A metronome is prerequisite. Like headstock and soundhole tuners, I prefer physical standalones in those devices over apps or software. Decent metronomes like those from Korg -which I have and use, are inexpensive. If you don't have one, budget for one. You'll want it later if not now.

I heartily recommend a looper remembering that most of us are doing this for the fun in the journey rather than to earn our living, and simple loopers like the Kokko or Ditto loopers are definitely fun, and easy to use with a monkey see monkey do learning curve. Must be if I can use one!

Cheers.

"Life is just a bowl of cherries ...."

stevelankford313

Full Access

fell out of the ''loop'' for a while working hard on lessons, thanks again everybody, still have not pulled the trigger though. but it is on the list...peace

fell out of the ''loop'' for a while working hard on lessons, thanks again everybody, still have not pulled the trigger though. but it is on the list...peace