Computer with FireWire

13jethrostol
13jethrostol
04/05/2017 1:57 am

I need a computer with FireWire for our recording rig at church. Does anyone know of any good computers that have firewire?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/05/2017 1:01 pm
Originally Posted by: 13jethrostol

I need a computer with FireWire for our recording rig at church. Does anyone know of any good computers that have firewire?

A few years ago I needed to have a FireWire port in order to work on a certain project. I learned that it's an older technology that was included on certain computers, but not a standard feature. And there are some sites that claim to have a FireWire to USB adaptor, but that is false! For whatever reason that doesn't actual work.

Anyway, the solution that worked for me was to buy a PCI slot card with FireWire ports. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-FireWire-3-Port-PCI-Card/dp/B000E609G0

I installed that into my studio desktop (a WinPC with an Intel chipset) running Adobe Premiere Pro & Sonar. It worked perfectly!

So, if you intend to buy a computer with a FireWire port already installed, you might be looking at older computers. Otherwise you are probably looking at installing a card in an existing PC. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.