Logic Pro X

dakota.malinowski
dakota.malinowski
12/02/2015 1:03 am
I love the program. The best part for me is the drum machine/ real drummer. its great for writing and piecing together songs. Anyone else like this Program?
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
12/02/2015 7:26 pm
Originally Posted by: dakota.malinowskiI love the program. The best part for me is the drum machine/ real drummer. its great for writing and piecing together songs. Anyone else like this Program?

Never used it. Anyone else?
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/03/2015 4:20 am
I've been using Garageband for a few years now and it seems pretty robust and useful. The most recent version though was not ideal. I had to update to the newest version because I bought a new Mac (my old iMac's video card was dying and if you have had an iMac, replacing it ain't cheap!).

Since I'm not in love with the new Garageband, I was wondering about Logic Pro. Always kinda eyed it but never pulled the trigger on it since Garageband was pretty good overall.

So, I have no feedback but, dakota, if you have any more to share, please do..I'm curious.
# 3
andrewplumer
andrewplumer
02/21/2016 10:31 pm
Thank you, helpful. I will try both.
# 4
JeremyRodriguez
JeremyRodriguez
03/09/2016 5:37 am
I believe I have recorded on Logic Pro X before but not quite sure. If it was it seems like a pretty decent program. What is the sound like? Is it pretty friendly with distorted guitar (like heavy metal/metalcore riffs)?
14 Day Mini Course That Boosted My Alternate Picking by 30 BPM In Less Than a Week at NO COST at www.transformmusically.com

FREE Download of Forsake Me Not's debut single and annual VIP membership! Limited spots at www.forsakemenot.com
# 5
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
04/11/2017 6:15 pm

Agree 100%

I cut my teeth on Garage Band and before I knew how to properly use it upgraded to Logic Pro X and absolutely love it. I'm still experimenting with the AU plug-ins.

I have a 2011 iMac and am using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. Amplitude seems to have latency for me, but Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 is great. I'm using the free version trying to hold off purchase guessing Guitar Rig 6 is around the corner, but a call to NI kinda thwarted that b/c I was told not enough interest and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it...".

I've downloaded demo's of Positive Grid BiasFX and BiasAMP (but not stated my 7-day trial) and read good things about Overloud TH3 and also want to try out the Peavy ReValver app. What are your favorites?

I'm also wanting to experiment recording in Logic Pro X from the iPad QuantiLoop, BiasFX and ToneStack over AudioBus3 that's said to have AU support althogh I'm sure I'm oversimplifying things.

Right now my main goal is to be able to record my playing alongside the backing tracks, both on the iPad from BiasFX and in Logic Pro X on the iMac but I can't seem to figure out how to have another track using the system input.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

# 6
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
04/13/2017 1:04 am

Ok, I think I've answered my own question regarding how to record backing tracks along with your own instrument.

I'm using a free audio driver called SoundFlower (ver 2.0 beta2).

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases/download/2.0b2/Soundflower-2.0b2.dmg

To Capture audio open Preferences / Sound and set "Output" to "SoundFlower 2ch" instead of System Audio. You won't hear your audio until you set it back to Headphones, your Guitar Interface, or external DAC.

In Logic Pro, GarageBand, ProTools, Cubase or your DAW of choice, open Preferences and set "Input" to SoundFlower 2ch.

ARM your track, hit Record and then tab over to your browser, YouTube or wherever you want to capture audio from and hit Play.

It's not economical nor efficient, but it gets the job done. I'm still looking for a way to do the same thing using iPad guitar processing apps BiasFX and ToneStack namely.

Here are the first couple I put together. The Tesla track is backed by the whole band, I need to learn and record the leads which isn't easy.

https://soundcloud.com/private-profile-441207792/judas-priest-heading-out-to

https://soundcloud.com/private-profile-441207792/tesla-modern-day-cowboy-with

If anyone knows a more efficient way of recording with backing tracks please share.

Thanks!!

# 7
winryember
winryember
06/27/2017 7:21 pm

Logic is great, I was so happy when I upgraded from garageband and I was able to create time signature changes. I love the arpeggiator feature too, it's so customizable! Also, I use mainstage for my live performances. It's awesome ^_^

# 8
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
07/02/2017 4:22 am

Any insight on this latest offering from Tascam?? It certainly ain't cheap at least for the hobbyist but it also seems to have a lot of sophistication. I've been warned there's a big learning curve involved even though their video ad claims otherwise........and it's $1,299.00. I just can't keep track of my various recordings on my Tascam Pocktstudio DP-008 and wind up recording over tracks and getting lost.

Thanks

Jim

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.