chord progressions?

rockonman
rockonman
03/03/2003 6:55 pm
ok, i know this is going to sound stupid but here it goes. What are chord progressions. i tried to ask a music teacher at my school and basically he told me that if i barred the 5th fret i would get an A7-11 chord. why he told me this i dont know but he did. if anyone knows a good way to explain this to me let me know. also if there is a good website for it let me know.
"Live your life while you have it. A life not lived is a life wasted, and a life wasted is unforgivable."
Tyler Wilkins
Feb 2003
# 1
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/03/2003 10:34 pm
Your music teacher is either an idiot or you said the wrong thing.

A chord progression is just a progression of chords, like G-D-C or something. And a sequence is when the same progression is repeated. Or is it the other way round? ha ha, well at least Im alot closer than this "music teacher"
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/04/2003 2:20 am
The best thing for you to do is learn some music theory and if you already know some great. WWHWWWH is a major "formula" and WHWWHWW is the minor "formula". Now start with say the A MAJOR scale.
A B C# D E F# G# A and minor A B C D E F G A. now when there is 2 whole steps (WW) the first note is a major chord. (i.e A-B=W, B-C#=W. so A is a major chord) If there is a (WH) then its minor(i.e B-C#=W, C#-D=H, so B is minor). Do this with all the scales, maybe write it on a sheet of paper and use it as reference.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
griphon2
griphon2
03/04/2003 3:03 am
A progression means to move, forward or backwards, but moving nonetheless. I will qualify your teacher, nevermind.
It's unfortunate that you must learn a major scale construction, but learn it. The previous post discussed that. Understanding the previous post, progressions follow:
I V I
I IV V I
I IV I
I ii V I
I iv ii V I (an old do-wop, or Heart and Soul)
I iii iv ii V I
I vii iii iv ii V I (all the chords within a key)
There are few more variations, but these are the basics.
In C:
C G7 C
C F G7 C
C F C
C Dm G7 C
C Am Dm G7 C
C Em Am Dm G7 C
C Bm7b5 Em Am Dm G7 C
Notice Rock or Blues doesn't necessarily follow the rules.
Hope this helps. If anything copy and paste to something for future study.
A lie goes around the world before the truth gets it's shoes on. (Mark Twain)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.