chord progs for songwriting

Funkman
Funkman
02/03/2003 6:14 am
Ok, I want to start writing songs. I want to write songs that basically use 4 chords for the verses. I have two questions...

1. How do I change from a 4 chord progression for the verse to another 2/3/4 chord progression for the chorus. I need to know how to pick two progression that will fit together, or will all progressions fit?

2. Is there a site/page that lists ten or twenty or even all possible chord progressions. Well at least simple 3 or 4 chord progressions. And if it lists chord progressions that it "fits" with as well.

The first song I want to write is a really sad song, so I want to fit it to a 4-chord progression in a minor key, that switches to a 2-3 chord progression riff for the chorus. I need to understand the theory behind it, but a list of heaps of progressions for songwriting or something similar would be great!
Give me Leonard Cohen afterworld
So I can sigh eternally
# 1
daveichler
daveichler
02/04/2003 9:32 pm
What really helps with writing 2,3 or 4 chord progression songs is knowing what chords are in each key.
The root note in a major scale has a major chord
The 2nd note has a minor chord
the 3rd note is a minor chord
the 4th note is a major chord
the 5th note is a major chord
the 6th note is a minor chord
and the 7th note is a diminished chord
so in C: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, B dim

you can apply this to any key and if you want a sad song for instance you might focus on the minor chords in the key

but the best way to learn anything in music is to use your ear!
# 2
Johnny C
Johnny C
02/05/2003 1:14 am
Hello.
Try checking out a "circle of fifths". Easy way to find chords for I-IV-V progression. It's used typically for 12 bar blues, but kind of shows a general chord relationships.
Hope it helps.
# 3
griphon2
griphon2
03/04/2003 3:10 am
Look at my post at chord progression thread. It should help a little. This is not complicated.
A lie goes around the world before the truth gets it's shoes on. (Mark Twain)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.