The Song

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/28/2002 12:03 pm
Ive managed to come up with a really good riff based song. Its like Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n roses in that it has many cool riff and fills. I judge my songs by imagining them on real albums and how theyd stand up against the other songs. If i imagine it on Appetite for Destruction I honestly think its better than out ta get me and anything goes tonite, those sorta ones.
The trouble is!! Im starting a band, just a mess around band and i dont wana let em hear it cos they mite claim it!! i wana save it!! is this the rite thing to do? The reaons i think its good cos no expence is spared on the riffs!!! Guns n Roses were awesome cos they werent afraid to throw loadsa riffs into one song where other bands may have made many songs outta the riffs!
# 1
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
11/28/2002 5:29 pm
I think that it is best to try to make a song out of that riff while it is still fresh so to say. because what frequently happens to me is that I come up with a great, kick -ass riff and if I don't develope it further from that riff stage it loses its power on me with time.
It is like the songs you' ve heard for thousands of times and you get tired of them -- with a riff it happens much faster because it is much simpler
Also another reason for which you might not like your riff as time passes is that it is natural for you to develop with time. In 1-2 years you will most probably like quite different music form what you like now. Also you will be a much better musician from what you are now. Personally I laugh a lot every time I hear something I did 1-2 years ago, not to speak about things I did 4-5 years ago.
So go ahead and make a song... You don't have time to wonder if the others from the band are goig to rip your stuff, you have to take that risk. And if you did one great riff you'll be able to do other great riffs and people will know who is speaking the truth.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 2
u10ajf
u10ajf
12/01/2002 5:07 pm
Originally posted by Slow Diver
I think that it is best to try to make a song out of that riff while it is still fresh so to say. because what frequently happens to me is that I come up with a great, kick -ass riff and if I don't develope it further from that riff stage it loses its power on me with time.

I've found it can be useful to try and and connect riffs together with new riffs built for the purpose. There's one piece of music it's taken me two years to write (I've not tried very hard I admit), I just realised how bits of it slotted together and made myself a solo guitar piece out of it.
I'm afraid the only way not to get ripped off is not to play with other guitarists! Nothing else sounds like a guitar after all. Alternatively learn to play like (for instance) John Petrucci and the number of musicians who CAN rip you off will be negligible.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.