writting a hybrid song

Prod11
Prod11
10/10/2002 9:38 am
I've recently met an amazing vocalist called Llana and after jamming a while we formed a band with some of her friends. The band really wants to play in clubs, but the problem is actually getting down material for our songs. Where does the hybrid thing come in?
I 've been playing electric guitar for a year and a half but i can do great grunge vocals. Sort of like Bush and Alice in Chains(nailed that growl), but i play '80's metal and early 90's hardcore on guitar. Llana'z got this amazing voice sort of like sneaker pimps, Boa, dido(only higher). We have a drummer who plays techno beats and a bassist who plays Funk and reggae. So how do we come up with something fresh and new?
Our first song wasn't much, since it was one of the first few songs i wrote on guitar but all i do is a basic chord progression for the verse and change the order for the chorus. Ontop of that the solo is very slow. But the band likes it. I really wanted to show them that i can play fast licks and arps but the wanted something simple.
Also the bandz made up of sophomores and juniors and i'm the only freshman in the band - so its this big thing for me.

So how do we ome up with something new? I really don't want the band to sound like linkin park or or sum otehr radio frienly band, just something with a bit of edge and melodical.

So where do i start?
0_o
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
10/27/2002 2:57 pm
If that's what you want to do, then do it, it sounds like everyone in the band is coming from a different place musically, write some songs together, Thomas Edison said " Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration", their isn't any formula you can use and no secret to learn, just make it happen, give it "Your" best shot, it will either happen or it won't, Life's funny that way, but "You" are the key ingredient, If you have the sound in you head, you can make it happen..............
# 2
Vaiyngsatch
Vaiyngsatch
11/05/2002 7:49 pm
I guess some good tips would be not to go against each others styles just for the sake of it because it will be obvious. The best hybrid bands have been flexible, so maybe for one song you'll lean heavily in one direction but then change style for another song.

If there's a chemistry, you'll find some magic in there and then the style wont matter until Rolling Stone calls you the next big thing.

Sara
# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/06/2002 9:24 am
Originally posted by Prod11
...but all i do is a basic chord progression for the verse and change the order for the chorus...

Prod,who says a song has to be complicated and in odd time signatures and stuff to be nice/cool,whatever?
If it sounds good to you,then by all means,play it.
Coz that's how you'll be judging yourself,what sounds good to you.
And that's also how you'll be able to build the confidence to play your stuff,when it sounds good to you.
# 4
u10ajf
u10ajf
11/09/2002 11:03 pm
Some of my favourite songs are actually pretty simple like "Wishlist" by Pearl Jam and "Thankyou" by Allanis Morrisette. Perhaps if I could hear the lyrics to more songs I wouldn't be such a shred head, having a singer with good clear diction is a god-send.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.