Best songwriters of all time?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Songwriting > Best songwriters of all time?

this thread's still alive? (and Dylan is still the best)

Thanks everybody for the insightful discussion over the summer about who is the greatest guitar-pickin' songwriter of all time.

And now the envelope please . . . .

The "Greatest Songwriter of all time" Award goes to . . . . (drumroll) . . . . .

Mr. BOB DYLAN!

Come on up here Bob!

Bob (wobbling a bit as he speaks, softly at first but gaining momentum as he goes until he ends with a thundering crescendo):

"Leave your stepping stones behind, they will not follow you,
Forget the dead you left behind, they will not follow you.
The vagabond who is knocking at your door,
Is standing in the clothes that you once wore.
Light another match, go on and start anew,
And it's all over now, Baby Blue."
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"

this thread's still alive? (and Dylan is still the best)

Thanks everybody for the insightful discussion over the summer about who is the greatest guitar-pickin' songwriter of all time.

And now the envelope please . . . .

The "Greatest Songwriter of all time" Award goes to . . . . (drumroll) . . . . .

Mr. BOB DYLAN!

Come on up here Bob!

Bob (wobbling a bit as he speaks, softly at first but gaining momentum as he goes until he ends with a thundering crescendo):

"Leave your stepping stones behind, they will not follow you,
Forget the dead you left behind, they will not follow you.
The vagabond who is knocking at your door,
Is standing in the clothes that you once wore.
Light another match, go on and start anew,
And it's all over now, Baby Blue."
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"

snojones

Hendrix was a good writter. Little wing, Castles Made of Sand come to mind.

But if you are talking about rock music.... Lennon and McCartney are the bomb. Much like Hendrix opened new doors on guitar playing , Lennon and McCartney opened the door on rock music being more that just another "I lost my girl and it sucks" pop song. Their use of modes in rock was also a big step. Everything after them is dirivitve, including Hendrix.

Hendrix was a good writter. Little wing, Castles Made of Sand come to mind.

But if you are talking about rock music.... Lennon and McCartney are the bomb. Much like Hendrix opened new doors on guitar playing , Lennon and McCartney opened the door on rock music being more that just another "I lost my girl and it sucks" pop song. Their use of modes in rock was also a big step. Everything after them is dirivitve, including Hendrix.

stratmanjimbo

Full Access

Fagen/Becker............although I just read Donald Fagen is actually suing his now deceased collaborator's estate!!!??? Bad!!! Jim C.

Fagen/Becker............although I just read Donald Fagen is actually suing his now deceased collaborator's estate!!!??? Bad!!! Jim C.

earlymorningrain64

Bob Dylan is a hero of mine!

Bob Dylan is a hero of mine!

david.vanhorn

Anyone heard of Marty Robbins? That's the music I am trying to learn. Hopefully they add some of his songs on here.

Anyone heard of Marty Robbins? That's the music I am trying to learn. Hopefully they add some of his songs on here.

craftykenny

Full Access

Cant argue about Neil or Dylan but my nominee is John Fogerty.

Cant argue about Neil or Dylan but my nominee is John Fogerty.

snojones

Don't they have computers to song write now?!

Don't they have computers to song write now?!

dotnetnerd

Full Access

My favorite is Lisa McCormick (Guitartricks.com)

My favorite is Lisa McCormick (Guitartricks.com)

moonfeet000

Full Access

LENNON/McCARTNEY...... From a playing perspective, not the best.(although they're up there)..but for pure sogngwriting, they blow everyone away.....IMO

LENNON/McCARTNEY...... From a playing perspective, not the best.(although they're up there)..but for pure sogngwriting, they blow everyone away.....IMO

stephen82

Full Access

Great topic.

I think songwriting is the key. For example I love both Beatles and Led Zeppelin. I think Zep had better players but Beatles better songwriting and in the end that wins for me hands down.

It is like listening to BB King play those 5 notes in the BB Box and turning them into something magical without ever having to shred.

Most of the great songwriters have been listed. Dylan, Lennon, Simon. More recent guitarists maybe Mayer, Jack Johnson

Great topic.

I think songwriting is the key. For example I love both Beatles and Led Zeppelin. I think Zep had better players but Beatles better songwriting and in the end that wins for me hands down.

It is like listening to BB King play those 5 notes in the BB Box and turning them into something magical without ever having to shred.

Most of the great songwriters have been listed. Dylan, Lennon, Simon. More recent guitarists maybe Mayer, Jack Johnson