My biggish problem

NinatheGoldfish
NinatheGoldfish
04/12/2002 1:30 pm
Ok, so i've been playing acoustic guitar for ages, just moved onto the elctric guitar, and have been writing songs for a fair few years now. I have absolutly no problem with writing lyrics, not too bad with tunes either, but i always feel that my songs are lacking that extra thing that makes people sit up and take notice. Does anyone have any tips at all? I'm quite into punk rock but don't just want to rely on the big scratchy chords, would quite like to stick some cool sounding stuff in...sorry I can't be more helpful than that, but I really don't know what it is that I'm looking for! Any suggestions?
Cheers
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/12/2002 6:05 pm
Make up some chords, try moving open chord shapes around the neck, toy with harmonics, maybe play with the idea of some single note lines between chords...

There's lots you can do - try doing random things and see what sounds good.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
hotbeefinjection
hotbeefinjection
04/13/2002 7:09 pm
i assume you play alot of fifth chords since your into punk. try adding a ninth to some chords. itll add color to the progression while keeping it heavy, and not making it sound jazzy or anything. sounds good with distortion too.
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement" -swanson
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/14/2002 2:53 am
Listen to what Ive got in tricks ROCK under Faded there are afew to choose from see if it helps, This is something I wrote a while back.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
guitar99
guitar99
04/18/2002 2:48 am
Analyze what doesn't feel right. Is it the lyrics, the music, the progression. Have another songwriter review the work. Sometimes what you look over is obvious to someone else. As far as not knowing exactly what your looking for don't feel too bad. I had a buddy who did a session once. The producer was'nt happy with anything that was getting done. This was a big session with really good pickers. One them ask the producer what he was looking for. His reply: I don't know but that's not it!!ht. Is it the lyrics, the music, the progression. Have another songwriter review the work. Sometimes what you look over is obvious to someone else. As far as not knowing exactly what your looking for don't feel too bad. I had a buddy who did a session once. The producer was'nt happy with anything that was getting done. This was a big session with really good pickers. One them ask the producer what he was looking for. His reply: I don't know but that's not it!!ght. Is it the lyrics, the music, the progression. Have another songwriter review the work. Sometimes what you look over is obvious to someone else. As far as not knowing exactly what your looking for don't feel too bad. I had a buddy who did a session once. The producer was'nt happy with anything that was getting done. This was a big session with really good pickers. One them ask the producer what he was looking for. His reply: I don't know but that's not it!!. Is it the lyrics, the music, the progression. Have another songwriter review the work. Sometimes what you look over is obvious to someone else. As far as not knowing exactly what your looking for don't feel too bad. I had a buddy who did a session once. The producer was'nt happy with anything that was getting done. This was a big session with really good pickers. One them ask the producer what he was looking for. His reply: I don't know but that's not it!!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.