How about Vocal Lines?

shane0685
shane0685
02/15/2005 5:19 am
I have a question, I am writing songs for the first time. Well, I am writing the music for the lyrics that a bandmate is writing. When we put the song together, He sings the lyrics spontaneously along with the chord progression I came up with. I have never written anything original until now, but shouldn't you write a melody line too?

Maybe I'm wrong, this is a new area for me. How do you guys do it?

Shane-
# 1
paradyme
paradyme
02/15/2005 10:40 am
Just let it happen- sometimes you'll have music already and you need to freestyle words over it, which is cool. Other times you'll have lyrics but no tune to go with it, and maybe you'll hear something next time you jam that will spark an idea. No 2 songs have ever been written precisely the same way. The most important thing is to just let it happen- you aren't making music; music is out there- you're just filtering it through your melodic and lyrical ideas. You can't force that.

I always suggest recording as much of your jam sessions as possible so that you have something to listen to and build on. It helps my band a great deal to work like that, so I hope that's of at least some use to you. :cool:

*gong sounds*
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 2
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
02/16/2005 4:46 am
It definitely doesn't hurt a song to have a set melody line, but variety of melody lines can be interesting. I usually just mess around with a bunch of melody lines, until I feel one suites the message that I'm trying to communicate. I mean thats what music is all about, communicating a feeling, message, or whatever.

# 3
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
02/16/2005 5:05 am
Just for the record, you have probably the greatest name ever!.. if that is your real name. My name is Shane too.
What I would suggest is to keep playing the song with your band. Once you get comfortable, start to experiment and just fool around. Try a solo, or just whatever. It may/won't all sound good, but thats what is fun about music, trying new things. Also, if you record your band ever, you can take a recording home and just listen to it. You may hear things you never noticed before, and you might hear things you want to change or add. Just have fun man. There are no strict rules you have to follow, which is what I love so much about writing, and music in general.
1 Peter 2:16
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.