How can I dedicate more time into Music (guitar)

Semi fingers
Full Access
Semi fingers
Full Access
07/28/2022 11:37 am

Hi guys, Any suggestions to put more time into music, Id like to put more time into it.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/28/2022 12:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Semi fingers

Hi guys, Any suggestions to put more time into music, Id like to put more time into it.

This depends entirely on your skill level & musical goals. So, honestly assess your own skill level & make a realistic practice plan to improve your playing skills & musical understanding.

Regarding larger goals, what do you want to do? Figure out your favorite songs? Write your own music? Record music? Play at the local open mic? Play in a band?

Figure out what you want, make a realistic plan broken down into small steps you can do everyday to achieve it.

And play more guitar every day. :)

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/28/2022 5:09 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

...small steps you can do everyday to achieve it.

And play more guitar every day. :)

It starts with the desire to play and self-discipline. Lots and lots of self-discipline.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/30/2022 9:43 pm

Oh dear. I am likely biased because I live in the world of logistics where we need everything on a schedule. Schedules are good. Planning is good. Not knowing what is suppposed to happen next is very very bad.

Carve out some time from your 24 hour window of opportunity and lock it in. Show up, practice, learn songs. You will improve.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
08/08/2022 2:41 pm

How on earth can we answer this without knowing anything about you or your lifestyle? Are you retired? Work 8 hours a day? Work 12 hour shifts? Have family? Etc. Etc.

John of MT and William MG both gave the best answers possible given what we know.

It is going to take a lot of self discipline and planning. What do you use for your day planner? Budget a minimum amount of time that you can practice each day. And, as William said, lock it in. Then set up the best place you can where you won't be distracted.

I suggest taking it one step furhter and decide, before you start, what you are going to work on. It is really easy to sit down with the guitar and "noodle". Just as an example, lets say you have 60 minutes dedicated today. Break it up into portions that will improve your playing, not just be fun. It has to be fun; but you need to work on chops.[br]So maybe:[br]5 minutes warm up exercise

20 minutes pentatonic scales[br]20 minutes Guitar Tricks Beginning Guitar Session n[br]15 minutes a song you are learning

This is obviously just an example

I have a spreadsheet that I use. Yeah, I'm that nerdy. I put in how much time I'm going to practice and then it forces me to fill out blocks. but get a system that works for you.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.