Old Hosts?

MajorA
MajorA
11/18/2000 3:34 am
As we all know here that most of the hosts here are rock players. Well I had an idea of getting rid of some of the hosts that havent updated in at least six months to a year, and who arent active (if they ever were) in the forum. That way you could get some more players that don't have to be rock players,but can be. Mosts of the players (i.e. Robert Bennett,Troy VonHalbach,Adam Dane and Jack Butler ) don't even have their guitartricks e mail anymore.Other hosts such as Magnus are away from their computers but at least he let us know.When is the last time Robert Bennett,Troy VonHalbach,Marako Marcus,Adam Dame,Jack Butler,Eric Hutchison,Erik Hagen and Shay Foley updated last? I'm not taking away anything from these great guitarist but I think if they aren't going to update whats the use for having them? I also think the guest want more new frequintly updated tricks from hosts.

[Edited by MajorA on 11-17-2000 at 10:51 PM]
Sounding better is in your head ,not your amp.
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/18/2000 7:32 am
Well, that is a matter of some controversy. In fact, in the last host survey (a vote of all the hosts to see what to do next with the site) we had some heated discussion about this topic.

We decided that hosts shouldn't be 'gotten rid of' but that they should take a back seat, and be 'retired'. A retired host can still vote on the doings of Guitar Tricks and affect the site, and a retired host can come out of retirement (like some aging rock stars, I suppose) by posting a new trick.

I may retire for a while in the near future. I don't want to post dull tired tricks just to keep on the board. And I am not sure we want to encourage that from hosts. One question we need to answer now that Guitar Tricks is definitely a long-term project is this: is a new trick better than an old trick (do tricks 'expire?')?

Anyway, we haven't had any new rock hosts for a while, and that has been painful because we get a lot of applications and we have had to say no to some good players.

On the other hand, forcing the issue of style diversification did bring us our great country hosts, Wayne, Terry and Tommie. Their sections have been a great addition. And, we got Ryan Hood and Scott Evans, just a bare beginning in classical and jazz coverage. So, it was effective to stop the rock majority long enough to let these other styles get a foothold.

In a little while, after the bugs are worked out of this new site, we will vote again on the "no rock hosts" stance and whether it is still appropriate in the new age of 'host retirement.'

Marako, Erik Hagen and Shay Foley have all posted within the last two months. Troy has been updating his section just this week. But you are mostly right about the others.

Anyway, we would love to see more feedback about this, since it is really the life of the site.

Jon

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/18/2000 4:45 pm
Perhaps this may be a worth while suggestion. If you were to archive the tricks from "retired" host, i.e. a Retired Host Section, this would allow the best of both worlds in that it wouldn't be nessecary (?) to delete those who are inactive, however if people a looking for something new which they've not come across before on this site, then the option of brand new players in that style are availiable...Also, and I know it may be making more hard work for you, but if you could find (or write) the code which would bring recently updated host sections to the top on the front page, it would allow people so see who's got something new, rather than searching through "More Hosts..."
Anyway, I've got nothing else to add except keep up the outstanding work and good luck!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/18/2000 6:49 pm
That is the way it works right now. If a host has posted within 90 days, his name goes on the front page. If he has posted within 10 days, it says new! next to his name.

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
MajorA
MajorA
11/19/2000 4:04 am
Originally posted by Willdridge
Perhaps this may be a worth while suggestion. If you were to archive the tricks from "retired" host, i.e. a Retired Host Section

Yeah thats a great idea, I think you should make a "Retired Hosts" section. That way you could put all the hosts on one page and put up a link for "Retired Hosts" instead of a "More Hosts" link. That would be great. :)
Sounding better is in your head ,not your amp.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.