Video Buffering issues....lessons unusable

Gaelan_S
Gaelan_S
12/02/2008 12:43 am
Is there something that can be done to deal with the lagging and buffering issues with the videos? I can't watch the videos online without suffering with 30 seconds of video at a time and 30 seconds of waiting...

I am on a very fast connection here so I know that it's not my connection having issues as speed tests indicate that my speeds are where they should be.

Any suggestions on what I can do to speed these up? Downloading the videos is not an option for me unfortunately.

hope to hear from someone soon.

tks much

G.
# 1
jbassin
jbassin
11/19/2018 3:58 am

I find it funny that that this post is ten years old and pretty much nothing has changed. GT is basically unusable.

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/19/2018 8:08 pm
Originally Posted by: jbassin

I find it funny that that this post is ten years old and pretty much nothing has changed. GT is basically unusable.

Study your own settings. If those seem 'good', check out what's going on with the 'net and its nodes.

The videos play fine for virtually everyone with some very few exceptions based on either the user's particular hardware or its setting.

Sometimes there are some national-level failures in specific U.S. regions that affect all web traffic attempting to pass through that node. Those seldom last more than a day. But most of the time it's the user's equipment and settings causing the problem with streaming GT lessons.

Contact GT Admin... they are quick to provide assistance... but they'll need a litlle more info than what you've offered.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
manXcat
manXcat
11/19/2018 10:04 pm
Originally Posted by: jbassin

GT is basically unusable.

[p]Where's your bottleneck?

[br]Echo what john said above.

[br]I'm in regional AU. When I only had rather poorly performing copper even for DSL, streaming GT could be flakey notably around AU or US peak evening times. Now I have fibre to the kerb NBN, our national version of high speed fibre optic broadband to the home, it's running fine whether on my Android tablet or PC.

And although I have a dedicated GPU, my PC these days is just a humble 6 core AMD FX6800 with 16GB DDR3, so far from the latest Ryzen or i9 kit or a power user rig. DL speed here averages about 47~48MB/sec, plenty for streaming GT vids even in 1080p where available. Screen isn't 4k capable so unsure how they'd stream.

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/20/2018 4:01 am

Yup. Sitting here in a rural area of western Montana (redundant? ), my access to the web is via comparatively slow DSL. Most of my GT time and all of my GT lesson streaming is on a nine year old desktop with 8 GB memory (2.8 GHz). And there is [u]never[/u] any buffering.

Try searching the GT forum for related posts involving similar gear and setup as yours.

Most of all... contact GT Support. Click on "Contact Us" found at the bottom of every (I think) GT page.

Good luck.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.