Ebay

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
02/14/2004 2:39 am
Hey everyone, i was thinking about buying equipment from ebay. Do you think it is safe? I dont think it wouldnt be a bad idea you know. I could get things alot cheaper. Also is there something on ebay that you can be sure that you wont get ripped off, like someone giving you something broken?
Mike ;)
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/14/2004 4:02 am
There is always a chance you will get ripped off, however I never have and I have got some really brilliant bargains from ebay.

It is important not to get drawn into a bidding war and end up paying too much for an item because well you were just too competitive. Pick a top price and don't go above it !

It is also worth remembering that deals that look too good to be true probably aren't. Check out a sellers rating before parting with cash.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
02/14/2004 4:38 am
I just won a Boss GT-6 for $276 USD (about $364 CAD), but now the guy is reneging.

There goes one sweet deal! Here in Canada, the list price is $599, and I just looked up the US price as $395.

Drat!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/14/2004 2:01 pm
Hi man, my pals call me "The Ebay Wh*re"! Because I buy and sell everything on it! I even sold my girlfriends socks on it!

Outa the 200 or so deals Ive done Ive been ripped off 2 or 3 times. But only on small cheap items.

If its expensive then use a credit card as most have insurance policies against internet fraud. I always do this for guitars as they are expensive.

Also look at the sellers rating! What have other buyers said about him/her?

Ask questions!! Email the seller and ask everything you need to no! Some sellers wont mention things that might put you off so if theres an area your unsure of then get it cleared up!

Basically the main thing is to use a credit card when buying, because then you have insurance.
# 4
sambob
sambob
02/14/2004 4:03 pm
Depending on what you're looking for, ebay is really the only way to go.

For example, I am the proud owner of an Ibanez Ghostrider. Something of a rare model, only made in Japan I believe in the early 90s. Definitely the best Ibanez guitars I've ever played (Shawn Lane played these things up until he started using Vigier guitars I believe). I have never in my life seen another one up close, I've only seen them on ebay.

Also the Fender HM strat, looks like ****, has a bad reputation, but they're fantastic guitars.

There are lots of great guitars like this, that aren't very well known, and often sell for way less than they're worth. THAT is what ebay is great for.
# 5
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
02/14/2004 7:51 pm
yeah, i seen someone selling an all tube jcm 2000 marshall head for like 600 dollars! Thats good and it was in good condition. It is a good way to go if you want to save money.
Mike ;)
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/14/2004 8:36 pm
yeah... I've had pretty good luck so far with eBay.
I got a bass, tuner, keyboard, mic cords, CDRom recorder etc... everything was just as advertised and really good prices.
About the only thing I'd watch out for are ordering stuff over the border (my CDRom cost about 75% extra in taxes and duty) and ordering RAM memory. (bought it at half price & it works ok, but it's sloooow)
# 7
pricklepuss
pricklepuss
02/14/2004 9:56 pm
i love ebay, ive bought/sold 300+ items and never had any problems, just be sensible and know your prices/limit and stick to it.
im in the UK and i just bought a brand new gibson les paul zakk wylde from the USA. it arrived yesterday and is 100% genuine and in A++++++++ condition. they retail over here for Ā£4130, the cheapest ive ever seen a new one is Ā£3000. i got mine for..... Ā£1990 including shipping/taxes/duty.
the deals are out there if you look hard enough.
# 8
Lone Ryder
Lone Ryder
02/16/2004 1:39 am
Using your credit card as "insurance" - Watch out. Look in the small print (very small) on the back of your credit card statement. Most now say the insurance is valid only for purchases made within 100 miles of your billing address. I'm sure this was put in specifically for internet transactions. I haven't been burned by this but I'm still cautious.

LR
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/16/2004 5:34 am
eBay buying is the only situation where I've broken my rule about trying before buying. I bought a lovely black 1984 Yamaha SGB1000 to go with the one I bought new in '84. I got it for a good price, with a hardshell case, and I'm very happy with it. I also bought a low-dollar, supposedly beat-up, Yamaha RBX350 bass which arrived in better shape than the description led me to expect, again with a hardshell case. Another happy transaction. I've had a couple of motorcycle parts 'disappear in the mail', but in nearly 100 deals totalling several thousand dollars, I'd say I've come out well ahead. And I've even bought a car on eBay!

Check a seller's feedback profile to see how previous buyers fared out. Most people take good care of their reputations by being straight with their customers.

BTW: You'll note that both of the guitars I've bought on eBay were Yamahas. Some things are so consistently good that you can stick your neck out a bit. On the other hand, I shudder every time I contemplate the risks that Axl_Rose exposes himself to! I've had too many scary conversations with too many guitar techs to [u]ever[/u] buy a Gibson I haven't personally inspected. Maybe if you're very familiar with the kind of gear you're looking at, you can ask the right questions. If you're not sure, don't bid.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/16/2004 3:22 pm
I would NEVER EVER buy an expensive item - espicially when it comes to gear or even instruments - off ebay or a catalogue or from ANYWHERE where i cannot test it before i buy it!

... but i would go with these socks :D (notice the fine blade of that ambiguous remark)

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.