A day's worth of practice

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/10/2004 1:40 am
After practicing all freakin day (and then some), I've finally gotten Led Zeppelin's Bron-yr-aur down. Took me long enough and I've got the blisters to show for it, but it was worth it. Given my amount of experience (bout 2 years) I think I'm doing good. I mean not to brag and I apologize if I come across as cocky, but I feel this to be an accomplishment and just wanted to share it with you all. Soon enough I'll be recording it and uploading it to the net. I'll give you all a link when that time comes. Till then.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/10/2004 1:56 am
Today in practice I..umm..wait a sec..

Ok, now I've practiced. I just learned 'Between Angels and Insects' by Papa Roach. And I'm trying to remember a gypsy scale.

Boy, my practice routine sucks.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
TheWizard
TheWizard
02/10/2004 2:05 am
Bron-yr-aur or Bron-yr-aur stomp?

both are amazing songs

just wondering did u fingerpick it or use a pick?

Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/10/2004 5:30 pm
Finger picking. It's more fun, easier when you get used to it, and looks more impressive. Not that I did this to impress anyone other than myself. Just Bron-yr-aur. I might give stomp a go some time in the future (when the blisters heal) or I could join the legion of people that learn stairway (or at least the intro) or somethin else. Anyone got a recommendation on a song to learn?

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/10/2004 8:05 pm
Congrats man. It's a great feeling when you accomplish something worth while. Keep the ambition.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
02/10/2004 8:56 pm
Don't learn Stairway, all we need is another person playing it wrong. lol. I think I've forced myself to forget it, except the solo, because it rocks.

Not as complicated as Bron-Y-Aur, Going To California is my favourite acoustic Zep tune.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
02/10/2004 11:28 pm
Originally posted by Tele Master
Don't learn Stairway, all we need is another person playing it wrong. lol. I think I've forced myself to forget it, except the solo, because it rocks.

Not as complicated as Bron-Y-Aur, Going To California is my favourite acoustic Zep tune.

Is there a wrong way to play a song, or just improvised, differentish versions? Heh... nah I'm just kidding, because I know exactly what you mean. I play it wrong myself.

# 7
TheWizard
TheWizard
02/10/2004 11:29 pm
'babe im gonna leave you' has some fun spanishy folky guitar work in it

I really recommend learning 'the rain song' too
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/11/2004 12:42 am
Cool, will do on the suggestions. All of which are awesome songs. Whilst I'm at the process of learning more stuff, anything outside of zeppelin to suggest? Anything at all, preferably with the exception of country.

Hulk Smash!!

# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/11/2004 4:11 am
Originally posted by iiholly
Is there a wrong way to play a song, or just improvised, differentish versions? Heh... nah I'm just kidding, because I know exactly what you mean. I play it wrong myself. [/B]

There is a right way and a wrong way to play a song, but it depends on how you look at it. Me...I like to learn a song and put my own style/influence in it. True enough I sometimes hear, "that's not how you play it." But, all I say is, "you knew what song I was playing didn't you?" I could understand a full on cover band playing a song as close to original as possible, but I've made my own versions of songs and had people say my version sounded a lot better. just depends on the person I guess. I like to learn a song as close as i can get by ear and then add my own kink into it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/11/2004 5:36 pm
That's a good strategy. Learn to get that atmosphere while maintaining your own personality to it.

Hulk Smash!!

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.