Which path to take?

rgie
rgie
12/28/2021 3:12 am

I just finished the fundamentals 2 course and would like to know which path should i go on. I have been playing for quite a bit but have not really progressed as much as i want to. I can play some songs, solos and can travis pick a few songs but the ultimate goal which may be unrealistic is i want to play in the style of john mayer/ mark knopfler

Should i be concentrating on the blues parth or the acoustic path. Thanks guys in advance

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2021 12:44 pm

Congrats on working through GF 2!

Originally Posted by: jadegaspar2010

I can play some songs, solos and can travis pick a few songs but the ultimate goal which may be unrealistic is i want to play in the style of john mayer/ mark knopfler[/quote]

Keep learning songs. Learn songs of the artists you enjoy. Those artists both use a wide variety of techniques from acoustic playing to electric lead guitar work.

So, with that in mind . . .

[quote=jadegaspar2010]

Should i be concentrating on the blues parth or the acoustic path. Thanks guys in advance

You can do both! To decide which one first, it depends on your skill level & goals. If you are primarily an acoustic player & play rhythm guitar parts, then the acoustic course is a better fit.

The blues course starts with rhythm guitar technique, but also has a lot more single note line material aimed at learning lead guitar technique. So it requires a different skill set. The acoustic courses focus on rhythm playing and eventually starts to incorporate single note lead lines in the form of melodies to play with chords.

So, it might be a good fit to start with acoustic courses, then afterwards work through the blues courses.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
rgie
rgie
12/29/2021 1:42 pm

Hi Christopher,

Thank you so much for your tip. I did try the blues first just to see and it is intresting will also try a few lessons on the acoustic to see if this sparks my intrest a bit more.

I also cant wait to go over some of your lessons. Thank you.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/29/2021 3:23 pm
Originally Posted by: rgie

Thank you so much for your tip. I did try the blues first just to see and it is intresting will also try a few lessons on the acoustic to see if this sparks my intrest a bit more.

You're welcome! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.