In a rut that sucks

mirandahidera9696
mirandahidera9696
11/05/2021 10:07 am

hey chaps...been playing for about 4 years..lots of rock stuff i guess...tried to cool things down of late and moved on to bluesy/rockabilly type style.but i suck big time...now i find myself in a position where the rock stuff i used to play sounds bad and the blues/rockabilly sounds worse...i need some help and some motivation...i used to feel that every time i picked up my guitar i was getting better but now it feels like i'm going backwards and that i was playing songs better 2 years ago..i know that the stuff i am playing now is harder but i'm just struggling...but i do love playing and i want the good times to roll...someone help me before my eyes start to bleed:) Any little licks or sites to check may just save my life....thanx all......stuy

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/05/2021 4:57 pm
Originally Posted by: mirandahidera9696

hey chaps...been playing for about 4 years..lots of rock stuff i guess...tried to cool things down of late and moved on to bluesy/rockabilly type style.but i suck big time...now i find myself in a position where the rock stuff i used to play sounds bad and the blues/rockabilly sounds worse...i need some help and some motivation...i used to feel that every time i picked up my guitar i was getting better but now it feels like i'm going backwards and that i was playing songs better 2 years ago..i know that the stuff i am playing now is harder but i'm just struggling...but i do love playing and i want the good times to roll...someone help me before my eyes start to bleed:) Any little licks or sites to check may just save my life....thanx all......stuy

Do play songs at all?

Thing is; when you learn new stuff, it's always good to just play songs. Like the songs you were playing when you were only focusing on the rock stuff. It's just an observation, and something I'm guilty of as well; we learn new techniques but don't apply them to just playing music. The rut is trying to just play the technique. However, the fun of playing music is to actually play music. Not just learn.

# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/08/2021 7:24 pm

Yes to what Jeff said! Make sure you have fun while you work on tehniques. The important thing is simply getting the guitar in your hands. Maybe some days, or portions of your practice routine, should simply be to have fun and play your favoruite songs! If you get stuck, search for 'Made Easy' in the search bar for a bunch of popular songs made easy. That way you can just pick up your guitar and play!

Additionally, I would suggest booking a live 1on1 lesson. That way, our instructors can see what/how you are playing, and set up a regimen for you to improve.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/10/2021 9:54 pm
Originally Posted by: mirandahidera9696

Sign up for full membership, if it's in your budget, then follow either the country or blues lessons 1 & 2. After a couple of months you'll find a noticeable improvement in your playing.

Personal anecdote: I always struggled with the intro to Sweet child of mine, no real idea why, but now I can play it with ease, despite having spent the last three months playing mainly exercises and lessons focused on Country.... Different genre, same skills

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.