Roy

royriccard9
royriccard9
11/24/2020 4:02 pm

Oh dear, Feeling very silly and lost. Been playing a classical and bought an electric. Setting up the electric I noticed the tuning ebgdae ran from the base side. I have always tuned the classic from the high side. Retuned and it sounds awful. What on earth have I done. HELP

# 1
royriccard9
royriccard9
11/24/2020 4:04 pm
Originally Posted by: royriccard9

Oh dear, Feeling very silly and lost. Been playing a classical and bought an electric. Setting up the electric I noticed the tuning ebgdae ran from the base side. I have always tuned the classic from the high side. Retuned and it sounds awful. What on earth have I done. HELP

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
11/24/2020 6:32 pm

Both of your guitars have 6 strings and are tuned using the same conventions.

Watch this or alternatively, read this.

By convention on all 6 string guitars the strings are referred to as 1-6 from thinnest to thickest, or high pitch E to low pitch E, bottom to top across the fretboard as the guitar is held.

Also by convention (without elaborating on the history of why), tuning of strings is done from string 6 to 1, low E to high E (two octaves apart). "high" here refers to pitch.

By convention, that tuning of EADGBE is referred to as Standard Tuning.

Electronic Tuners should be set to a reference pitch of 440Hz.

Having set this you can now tune both guitars in the order of strings 6 to 1 respectively EADGBE.

Voila! Done.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/24/2020 8:14 pm
Originally Posted by: royriccard9

Adding here.

Here's a visual I made for my wife (below). This is a total fretboard note map which can also be useful but for this question, focus on the left end with the string notes and numbering.

The best way to start is to use the Guitar Tricks reference tuner. This will get you audibly near where you want to be. Keeping in mind that the '1' string is the high E and the lowest (6) string is the low E.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.