more electric vs acoustic

ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/17/2020 1:53 pm

I'm almost at 4 months

started with an electric and a practice amp with headphones to minimise the annoyance of listening to a beginner killing a guitar

Still very repetitive but starting to change chords 1st and 3rd beat at 60 on the metronome.

Quite pleased with the progress I am making.

Boom, took delivery of a concert/folk sized acoustic guitar yesterday . Probably with 12-56 strings.

It's like another world. Will take some getting used to. Can make chord shapes but obviously feels all different.

One short session no strumming just picking and I could feel my the difference in my fingers.

I have bought some 10-47 Martin strings to change to when the string change comes around.

An obvious drawback is I am now conscious of the awful noises I will be making as I practice. May have to drive out in the car and play in the fields.

what accomodations do other beginners make for the comfort of those around them.

# 1
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/18/2020 9:08 am

I also think that because I have been using headphones and playing without sounding out My brain is reluctant to allow me to strum out loud.

I am finger picking and tinkling around.

Need to practice strumming a lot more.

Upstrokes not as clear as downstrokes

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/18/2020 12:29 pm

Congrats on the new guitar

I am not sure how to quiet an acoustic other than softer picks/lighter strumming, but either ways its going to be heard. I guess you could mute the strings but why do that and miss out on that full rich sound. Those "aweful" sounds are just growing pains that will improve in time.

Enjoy the new instrument.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.