Acoustic vs Electric

jimk8882
jimk8882
09/10/2020 1:32 pm

Hi. I am a beginner currently working on Fundamentals 1. Enjoying it so far although getting anxious to play some of the made easy songs. I am wondering what the pros and cons are in learning on both an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar. So far, all of Lisa McCormick's lessons are on acoustic and looking ahead I see some of the first made easy songs suggested to beginners are also on acoustic guitars (such as Simple Man). I know that the lessons in Fundamentals 1 can be done on both as I am using an electric guitar but it would be nice to learn on the acoustic guitar as well. In the end, some songs seem to sound better on acoustic and others are more suited to the electric guitar. Thoughts?

# 1
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
09/10/2020 1:48 pm

Hi and welcome! valid questions and statements! I own both and started out on acoustic. as you have found, there are advantages to both types of guitar. As far as acoustic-it requires more pressure on the strings to hit the note. I found this to be positive when I started playing electric. Obviously, the acoustic can be taken anywhere and doesn't require amplification, which is why I initially went this route.

And you are correct! Some songs sound better on acoustic and vice versa. At this point, I am glad I own both since my taste in music is eclectic, and practicing on both is fun.

If you do opt to buy an acoustic, I suggest Yamaha-they make a great guitar for their price range and are respected for their quality. If possible, still get to a guitar store to try out the different body styles. Some have larger bodies (dreadnaught, for example) than others (parlor as the smallest body style) and there are other body sizes in between those two examples. If you go this route, make sure it's an acoustic you want to play.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
09/10/2020 6:12 pm
Originally Posted by: jimk8882In the end, some songs seem to sound better on acoustic and others are more suited to the electric guitar. Thoughts?

Guitars are tools, and decent guitars aren't expensive today. You've just identified and summed up concisely for yourself, a need and desire for an acoustic. Once sure of your committment to learning guitar, unless your musical focus is electric specific you will want at least one of each.

If you can afford it, just do it.

The Fundamentals courses can be worked through on either.

# 3
jimk8882
jimk8882
09/11/2020 8:25 pm

Thank you to Sarah-B and manXcat for your comments and confirming what I was thinking.

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/11/2020 8:49 pm
Originally Posted by: jimk8882

Hi. I am a beginner currently working on Fundamentals 1. Enjoying it so far although getting anxious to play some of the made easy songs. I am wondering what the pros and cons are in learning on both an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar. So far, all of Lisa McCormick's lessons are on acoustic and looking ahead I see some of the first made easy songs suggested to beginners are also on acoustic guitars (such as Simple Man). I know that the lessons in Fundamentals 1 can be done on both as I am using an electric guitar but it would be nice to learn on the acoustic guitar as well. In the end, some songs seem to sound better on acoustic and others are more suited to the electric guitar. Thoughts?

I concur with the others. I'd only add that spend time getting an acoustic that you feel comfortable playing. Take your time and get one you like. Since you've got a guitar to practice with, no real hurry. Like manX said, lots of affordable, quality options but some affordable acoustics are better than others. If you can, look in the $300 to $500 range. While not a unirversal answer, I've found that when you hit the $300 price point, you're more apt to find very playable guitars.

# 5
jimk8882
jimk8882
09/12/2020 1:29 pm

Thank you JeffS65 for your comments. Good reminder to take my time. Usually when I make up my mind to do something then I want to do it right away.

# 6
Rick Schmidt
Full Access
Rick Schmidt
Full Access
09/15/2020 10:38 am

Hi jimk8882.... I, too, started GT with my electric guitar; but a year into it realized that a lot of great guitar playing sounds better on an acoustic. I did my homework and bought my first acoustic and fell in love with the sound and feel. I play my electric much more rarely now, but in the beginning I'd play the acoustic until my fingers hurt too much and switched to the electric to keep practicing (lighter gauge strings mean less pain that those on an acoustic). Having both will give you much greater options, no doubt, and you'll not regret an acoustic being in your home. Be sure to keep it in the case and use a humidification tool like the Humidipak (Guitar Center and Amazon have these).

Reverb is a great place to shop for used gear; I caught GAS and bought three acoustics there this spring. You can get a good deal and it's fun to shop there. Others are right: you are probably best served by trying out differnt guitars/sizes in a phyical store; I've always been self-conscious about doing this since I consider myself relatively new, but I'm sure the store-folk don't care how I play.

Happy shopping.

# 7
jimk8882
jimk8882
09/16/2020 1:03 am

Thanks Rick for your comments and encourgagement. Also thanks for the heads up on humidity control. Never gave it a thought before now, but it makes sense.

# 8
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
09/17/2020 6:35 pm
Originally Posted by: jimk8882

Thanks Rick for your comments and encourgagement. Also thanks for the heads up on humidity control. Never gave it a thought before now, but it makes sense.

Last thought on humidity control: boveda guitar packs. They go into the guitar case and are fantastic! Requires no refills. Just make sure the Boveda pack is still "mushy." When the pack solidifies, replace it. They sell starter packs for guitar on Amazon and other sites.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.