Keeping rhythm

aorezechowski
aorezechowski
09/02/2020 10:28 pm

I know I'm new to this but I can't seem to keep time with the video. Simple C and G video on Fundamentals 1 changing from from one to the other throws me off beat. Guess timing comes with practice. I've replayed that video 3 times my fingers get clumsy at the change.

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/03/2020 1:33 pm
Originally Posted by: aorezechowski

I know I'm new to this but I can't seem to keep time with the video. Simple C and G video on Fundamentals 1 changing from from one to the other throws me off beat. Guess timing comes with practice. I've replayed that video 3 times my fingers get clumsy at the change.

The short answer is to slow it down. You can even slow the video down. Of the tools to any guitar player new or advanced, slowing and improving is one of the most powerful. If you first ride a bike, you are looking to race. Just keep stable. The same with guitar; it may seem frustrating that you have to slow down but all that means is that mechanisms in your brain that has to handle these multiple actions is asking for you to give it time to acquire that mental roadmap. You have the fretting hand that is moving three fingers to a different string configuration which is comprised of six strings, of which you are having to fret certain strings for each. Then, you are trying to do it in time and at speed.

I'm making it sound complex even though it actually feels easier than all that complication. The point of making it seem complicated to reinforce the point that all guitarist come to find; don't worry about speed. Build yourself up.

Good luck!

# 2
theMolster
theMolster
09/03/2020 5:40 pm

I'm with Jeff on this. How long have you been playing?

# 3
aorezechowski
aorezechowski
09/03/2020 8:32 pm

I've only just joined a few days ago.

# 4
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
09/03/2020 9:55 pm

A gentle suggestion that if you're already frustrated and posting after playing it through three times, you may need to revise your expectations for how much repetition and practice are going to be required to learn guitar.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 5
aorezechowski
aorezechowski
09/03/2020 10:25 pm

I'm actually giving myself 30 day to try and see if I enjoy it. I suck at everything I do. After 30 day my subscription might get canceled and my guitar is going to a pawn shop

# 6
Herman10
Herman10
09/04/2020 2:01 am

You only joined a couple of days ago and expect to be able to play what others need 3 weeks for? you only give yourself one month? most people can bearly switch a few chords after one month, learning to play guitar is a thing of long breath and you should at least give it one year to find out wether you can learn it or not.

# 7
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
09/04/2020 2:50 am

On the bright side, someone's gonna get a good deal on a near-new barely played guitar at the pawn shop in about 27 days.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 8
Hank88
Full Access
Hank88
Full Access
09/04/2020 3:03 am

I thought I'd never be able to develope rhythm or play in time and for the first couple months I was just practicing technque because I couldn't strum with the video and didn't like the way it sounded at a slower tempo, and chord changes seemed impossible. Once I bought a metronome and set it to 30 bpm as slow as it goes and practiced just struming on one chord until I was hitting right on with the C chord then I started to chord change with G. Once I was able to do those in time all the other chords didn't take as long to learn to switch to and begun increasing tempo. Now i love using it with everything to help me

I dont know you but I dont think you suck at everything and if you just stay consistent and hold yourself accountable to practicing everyday you'll get it. Just stay positive and don't be afraid to be proud of what you have learned so far. After my 3rd day i told myself I didn't even know the notes on the strings. You can do it and make music

# 9
Herman10
Herman10
09/04/2020 7:54 am

Well Faith, maybe he has that Ovation Elite we both want, where is that pawnshop?

Herman

# 10
aorezechowski
aorezechowski
09/04/2020 8:41 am
Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

You only joined a couple of days ago and expect to be able to play what others need 3 weeks for? you only give yourself one month? most people can bearly switch a few chords after one month, learning to play guitar is a thing of long breath and you should at least give it one year to find out wether you can learn it or not.

I never said I wanted to play with people. I'm learning it to help with depression and anxiety.

# 11
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/04/2020 10:50 am

first and foremost I agree you have to enjoy it but I think most of us would say the frustrations will still be there after 30 days. I'm just over the 3 month mark and not playing songs as my changes aren't in time yet.

Try some scales.

One note at a time up a single string.

More important is to try and see any gains made at the 30 day mark

Find some single string licks on the internet.

Even if it is Smoke on the Water. If it's recognisable then so what.

368-3698-368-63

then try 12 12 10 12/765/030 and see what it is.

R/Hand, L/Hand /Brain . Lots to take in and then the realisation we will never be done.

# 12
Herman10
Herman10
09/04/2020 11:50 am

I never said I wanted to play with people. I'm learning it to help with depression and anxiety.

[/quote]

I never mentioned in my answer playing with other people, only talked about the progress of other people.

# 13
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/04/2020 1:31 pm

I'm learning it to help with depression and anxiety.

Ah, this is a good idea. I mean, something every guitar player wrestles with is the learning curve. It seems very easy to learn a few chords and off ya go. But, it ain't exactly that easy. I'm sure you didn't pick up guitar thinking it was going to be immediate, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate this. Also, regarding my original advice about slowing down, I think still stands.

However, your reason for picking up the guitar, I think, is a good one.

My late wife suffered from diagnosed panic-anxiety (note, her passing was totally unrelated). Her PAD was pretty bad when it reared its head. We had more than a few trips to the ER with panic attacks. I don't suffer from it but have been eye-to-eye with it. Not an easy road.

I only mention this as to your thought of using guitar as something a thereputic makes a lot of sense. There have been more than a couple of studies that confirm that learning music has a benefit to anxiety. Not a 'cure', of course, but is very beneficial to people who have anxiety.

The reality is, I've been on Guitar Tricks since 2008 because of my late wife. I've been playing since 1981. I wasn't looking for online lessons myself but while my wife was out on short term (for another health reason), she wanted to start learning guitar. I should note that I've remarried and my now wife just started learning guitar a few months ago!

But to bring this back around, I won't pretend that learning guitar comes super easy. It's a skill that is learned and has some complexities. If you stay with playing the instrument, you're going to have 'those' moments. This is also very important; you will also have breakthrough moments where you feel great about 'getting it'.

What I think is important to note that at some point, you look forward to new challenges in playing that you want to overcomes. It becomes what you enjoy about playing guitar.

It's that first hump as a beginner that seems like Mt Everest. It's really not but sometimes it seems like it.

I would say not to give up. It does help to reorient your thinking about how you define success in playing. Only the supernatural players ever play perfectly. The rest of us, we do alright. Anyone watching me play sees me as a skilled player (I mean, it's been almost 40 years, I suppose I got it down now!). I know that when I'm learning something new, I'm back at the drawing board like everyone else. I just have a tool kit I've built over the years to approach it.

Therein lies the point; right now, as a beginner, you're 'buying' your first tools and there's only so many things you can do with those tools. Over time, you get more tools to draw from. I would say to stick with it. Reorient you approach to success. Embrace the baby steps. You'll start noticing that you see a better sense of progress when you aren't thinking about getting a chord change, at speed, right away.

I've been playing for a while, as I'd said, and sometimes, I gotta slow down. I'm learning Steely Dan's Josie and most of it is not that hard for me but there are two very small spots in the intro where I just can't get it right with parts that would seem insigificant but for me, it's making me work for it.....So, I slow down. I'm getting it but not as fast as I'd like.

Lot's of typing and mostly in supporting the idea of sticking with it. But I do know the value of music and for the reason you thought to pick it up. It's very rewarding too but anything that is rewarding, isn't always easy.

Good luck again and I hope you do stick it out.

# 14
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
09/04/2020 4:46 pm

I'm actually giving myself 30 day to try and see if I enjoy it. I suck at everything I do. After 30 day my subscription might get canceled and my guitar is going to a pawn shop

Hey Aorezechowski,

Sounds like perfectionism to me, which I totally identify with! I will often quit things I'm not immediately good at. I've always wanted to be an artist (drawing cartoons) but I believed I just didn't have the talent and never would. I would always say I SUCK. BUT, recently, after some serious and deliberate practice, just SLOWING DOWN and REALLY taking my time, I discovered I can actually do it! It's just a matter of learning methods and steps, and having patience.

So yeah, it sounds like you're being too impatient with yourself. And you certainly don't suck at everything. I have been pretty rough on myself too, throughout my life. Depression and anxiety are something I've had to learn to live with and fight through.

My best advice (and this applies to everything) is try to ENJOY IT rather than needing to be AWESOME within 3 days, haha. :) If you can find a way to enjoy the process every day, improving will take care of itself.

"Small strokes fell great oaks" -Benjamin Franklin

It's true!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 15
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
09/04/2020 5:06 pm

Jeff,

Spot on.... as usual.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 16
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/05/2020 12:04 pm

I'm with Hank for using the metronome.

Maybe don't start with chord changes.

Try a steady strum to a slow metronome.

Almost hypnotic, therapeutic.

1 strum every 4 beats and speed up.

Choose 1 chord and repeat the strumming.

Simple chord and pick 2 strings in time to a metronome.

Then 2 of the easier chords to change between. A to Emin and strum on the first beat giving you time to do the change, then 1st and 3rd beat even if it means slowing the metronome again.

Find the things that you can do . Don't dwell on the things we might all find difficult.

Most of all keep posting so we all hear about your progress.

Because there will be progress

# 17
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/05/2020 1:38 pm

From the perspective of an uneducated man...

It appears you have health issues that may be compunded by learning guitar. It is reasonable that we hear something played and think of how beautiful and relaxing it sounds and think maybe if we can learn to play, we can be closer to those feelings.

But what is impossible for anyone to perceive is just how difficult this instrument is to play, until they pick up a guitar.

It could be your expectations are too high and backing them way down may be better for you. For example what if you focused on just making clear open chords? Just play them, listen to them ring out and enjoy what you hear. Listen for every nuance. You can find beauty in that. When ready try something more complicated, but realizing you need to stay within your own tolerance for stress.

Anyway, good luck to you.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 18
aorezechowski
aorezechowski
09/07/2020 11:05 pm
Originally Posted by: ddiddler

I'm with Hank for using the metronome.

Maybe don't start with chord changes.

Try a steady strum to a slow metronome.

Almost hypnotic, therapeutic.

1 strum every 4 beats and speed up.

Choose 1 chord and repeat the strumming.

Simple chord and pick 2 strings in time to a metronome.

Then 2 of the easier chords to change between. A to Emin and strum on the first beat giving you time to do the change, then 1st and 3rd beat even if it means slowing the metronome again.

Find the things that you can do . Don't dwell on the things we might all find difficult.

Most of all keep posting so we all hear about your progress.

Because there will be progress

I'm trying to use a metronome but I can't hear the beat. I'm using my cellphone to play the videos and the metronome isn't loud enough to hear over the strum of the guitar.

# 19
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/08/2020 8:15 am

are you using headphones with your cellphone.

Can still hear the strumming

Always more to buy or add.

Keep going. We can find work rounds for most things.

How do you feel your doing after another week at it.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.