Should I begin to learn songs?

Jackets
Jackets
01/22/2020 8:40 pm

Should I start learning songs if I'm still in the 'Guitar Fundementals 1' section? I'm about 66% done it and, as much as I love Lisa, it can get a bit 'samey' listening to her constantly push onward. I'd love to learn some blues stuff and metal, but I'm worried that I'm not ready or if it's too advanced.

Anyone have a second opinion?

# 1
Joe105
Joe105
01/22/2020 8:50 pm

By all means. There are loads of songs and blues stuff you can learn using just 3 or 4 chords and some simple riffs.

Have a go at the end of your practice time and have some fun.

Just don't neglect your lessons.

Kind regards

Joe

# 2
Jon Mo
Full Access
Jon Mo
Full Access
01/22/2020 10:20 pm

I was at the same place. I started to learn songs just after 75% complete. It helps break up lessons. Be advised, some of the songs have different chord voicings which adds a challenge but can hinder chord memory.

Jon

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
01/22/2020 10:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Jackets

Should I start learning songs if I'm still in the 'Guitar Fundementals 1' section?

[p]

I definitely recommend to enhance learning with songs as soon as you can, if you're capable of it. But with the caveat, try to find and choose a song you like which is attainable within your current skills capability to reinforce the skills, or temperamental perseverence if above them keeping in mind that success will reinforce motivation and confidence, whilst frustration or 'failure' will result in the opposite.

I'm not easily bored. My tenacity rates 10/10. Only you know your personal 'stick-at-it-iveness' score.

Blues or Rock 1? Hmmm...Complete the competencies in F2 before moving to Rock or Blues.That's the whole point of GT having a structured syllabus. It's one thing to consolidate on what you're learning with appropriate level songs, quite another another to flit all over the place because of a possible lack of self-disiplined focus. The latter will invariably slow overall rate of progress down.

If that's not a priority objective, ultimately it's only your time, money and satisfaction that has to be appeased. Do what does that.

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/23/2020 2:18 pm

Why not try to learn a song?

In days gone by, that's how many guitar players learned to play. There's was no Guitar Tricks online with a sensible course of learning. If you didn't have the ability to have an instructor, it was a book of chords and your ear to learn songs. A much, much harder road.

If you want an easier metal song, Judas Preist 'Livin' After Midnight' is a good one to start with..and good fun to play. A good blues song to start with the the easy version of Sweet Home Chicago.

What's important with playing along with songs, even as an early learner, is the ability to play along. Learning rhythms and patterns within the context of a song. Learning skills like F1 and F2 are very important but those skills fold in to your ability to learn and play songs and any chance you have to apply a skill, you should do it.

# 5
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
01/23/2020 4:35 pm

Do anything that keeps it fun for you.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 6
Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
01/23/2020 7:18 pm

I should really be asking the opposite. Should I complete guitar fundamentals 1 as I've only learned 6 or 7 songs and many parts of a few other songs 😁

My learning style is all about fun. If I'm not enjoying it I'll just give up. The enjoyment comes from playing songs, even just parts of them.

I'm off to have a go at Starting Over and Fox on the Run. There must be some fundamentals in there somewhere.

# 7
aaholmes
Full Access
aaholmes
Full Access
01/23/2020 8:26 pm

They list some Made Easy songs in the course overviews of Fund I and II. I remember those seemed very tough at the time but I tried a few out. They are usually much harder than Lisa's songs but it's good to try and can always come back to them later. I should have used the video speed controls to slow songs down but didn't utilize that until recently.

You'll slowly get better at the songs and you'll be more inclined to stick with them. I really wanted to learn Wild Horses and probably will still play it 20 years from now. Lisa's songs are great as learning tools but I had no desire to perfect them. I had to decide for myself how to balance my time between learning and playing from the song lessons vs. following the curriculum.

# 8
willieken49
willieken49
01/24/2020 11:05 am

Do anything that keeps it fun for you.

that is what number of guitar players figured out how to play. There's was no Guitar Tricks online with a reasonable course of learning. In the event that you didn't be able to have an educator, it was a book of harmonies and your ear to learn tunes. An a whole lot harder street.mybkexperience survey

# 9
philgrowjp
philgrowjp
01/25/2020 5:58 am
Originally Posted by: aaholmes

Lisa's songs are great as learning tools but I had no desire to perfect them. I had to decide for myself how to balance my time between learning and playing from the song lessons vs. following the curriculum.

Same here. The only one song so far that I have learned is "Ode to Joy" and I practice it daily since it is a familiar tune that I have known for a long time. The songs created for the lessons, once I get the gist and learn what it is reinforcing, I move on. I rarely use the play along lesson as it doesn't interest me.

# 10
nick.baddeley
nick.baddeley
01/28/2020 8:44 am
Originally Posted by: philgrowjp
Originally Posted by: aaholmes

Lisa's songs are great as learning tools but I had no desire to perfect them. I had to decide for myself how to balance my time between learning and playing from the song lessons vs. following the curriculum.

Same here. The only one song so far that I have learned is "Ode to Joy" and I practice it daily since it is a familiar tune that I have known for a long time. The songs created for the lessons, once I get the gist and learn what it is reinforcing, I move on. I rarely use the play along lesson as it doesn't interest me.

I agree with this, the songs in fundamentals 1 & 2 are great for practicing the lesson content but I don't spend hours perfecting them. I think I need to know the content, understand it and be able to use it in the future when needed. I split my practice time into covering a lesson or two from Lisa and practice of the songs I want to play. As time goes by, the practice songs I choose are becoming more complex as I get more techniques available to me.

# 11
danhouse7
danhouse7
01/29/2020 9:42 pm

I've never taken a formal guitar class (just started at GuitarTricks), but play many instruments, including a Baritone Uke. As someone with a good baritone voice, who likes to sing in th Key of D, I know that there are thousands of songs that can be played with forms of D, A, G, and C. Nashville was built on this. That's about all the Rolling Stones knew when they started playing music. You might have to throw in an Em, but that's not a challenge to learn at all. Why not try a few songs? You'll have to find your voice, and what Keys you need for it, but it usually only take 3 or 4 chords to play and sing. If you want it fancy, then you need to learn many different chords.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.