Brand new

rickmartone61
Full Access
rickmartone61
Full Access
10/16/2019 3:51 pm

I'm a 74 year old retiree. I have never read a note or played an instrument. I would like to learn the guitar. I don't own a guitar. Don't know what to look for in aguitar. You might call me a pre beginner. Suggestions?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/16/2019 4:14 pm

Hi

I don't feel comfortable suggesting a guitar but best of luck with learning to play. There are many beginners in your age bracket.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
10/16/2019 11:33 pm
Originally Posted by: rickmartone61

I'm a 74 year old retiree. I have never read a note or played an instrument. I would like to learn the guitar. I don't own a guitar. Don't know what to look for in aguitar. You might call me a pre beginner. Suggestions?

Hello

I keep six honest serving-men,[br](They taught me all I knew);[br]Their names are [u]What[/u] and [u]Why[/u] and [u]When,[/u][br]And [u]How[/u] and [u]Where[/u] and [u]Who[/u].

- Rudyard Kipling[br][br][u]What do you want to learn to play?[/u] Electric, acoustic or Classical?

[u]How much is your preferred and max budget?[/u]

[u]Where are you located. Country?[/u][br][br]

At 74 do you have any impediments such as arthritic hands and/or fingers or their strength which might present obstacles to your journey. e.g. electric guitar necks and actions are in general easier to fret than acoustic, although one can buy an acoustic guitar with nylon strings today. Whilst Classicals feature nylon strings, they come with their own idiosyncrasies and challenges. e.g. high action, wide necks, heel and body at the 12th fret (one octave).

Once we know answers, you will be better advised.

If you can, you can go into a local guitar store bearing in mind the probable conflict of interest depending upon the integrity of the owner's business model and staff. Ultimately caveat emptor applies. They are there to sell you something. That's what keeps their doors open.

Personally, I didn't and don't enjoy the walk-in local 'guitar store user experience'. Others might and do. On the other hand, if you take your time, there's plenty of info available through research on the internet today to be guided to a purchase decision even if you buy from a walk-in LMS or guitar store..

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/17/2019 3:24 pm

"[u]Personally, I didn't and don't enjoy the walk-in local 'guitar store user experience'. Others might and do."[/u]

[u][/u]haha, here we differ manX, I love it. Those are good places for me to stay out of!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
rickmartone61
Full Access
rickmartone61
Full Access
10/17/2019 3:29 pm

Thank you. That was most helpful. I'm good health wise. As suggested, I wil search the internet for helpful sites.

# 5
garyplais8
garyplais8
10/29/2019 3:11 pm

I'm 65 and just starting on my journey of re learning the guitar. I dabbled around in my much younger days with acoustic guitars. I bought a really nice Seagull S6 about a year ago but have since bought a Squire Stratocaster and Fender Champion 50 combo amp. I really like the electric versus the acoustic, much easier to fret and I'm able to play longer and build up my calluses! Also depends on what kind of sound you want.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.