is my neck to small for my fingers?

tommysurf1
tommysurf1
08/10/2019 12:31 am

Just learming , I am have a very hard time hitting just one string when I fret. The distance between stings is barely wide enough for my finger. when I press down it hits below. so frustrating but maybe bought a guitar the was to small. like maybe this is a little kids guitar

no one asked or showed me. Its a new epiphone electric.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/10/2019 11:44 am

I am not sure what model you have or if Epiphone even makes a child's guitar, but from my limited experience they seem to be what I would call a midway point at the nut. The nut is the plastic piece high up on the neck that the strings feed through. Different guitars, different nut width and therefor neck width and string spacing.

If it helps, I started the same way and this seems to be common. In addition, I found from my experience, guitars we had at the house which had very narrow necks and therefor difficult for me to play without string buzz (actually everything buzzed at the beginning) are now quite playable. I think for most of us, it just takes time to get our fingers used to proper positioning.

So I wouldnt give up on the Epiphone just yet.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
jreyn1
jreyn1
08/13/2019 4:03 pm

I have basically an XXXL Size glove hand So hard to believe your hand could be as big or bigger than mine and I could rip through Eddie Van Halen licks as fast as he does although I have been playing for over 40 years but my fingers have no problem fretting strings without touching other strings, remember you need to only touch the string with the very tip of your finger close to the fingernail not by the pad of the finger but only by the very tip that could be your problem?

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.