Pick Guages

Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
02/13/2019 9:26 pm

What is the best guage for acoustic strumming and flatpicking?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
02/13/2019 10:32 pm

[u]Simplistic answer[/u].

.73mm to.88mm

[u]Considered answer[/u].

Those two functions are at odds to my mind & IME, so any single gauge choice is going to be a compromise at best.

Any 'one size fits all' choice has to be a compromise somewhere between medium heavy enough to accomplish the individual string picking task whilst medium light enough to accomplish the strumming requirement. This is exacerbated on acoustic.

A plectrum is just tool, and although one can compromise with a fits all 'shifting spanner' pick gauge, physical size and construction material, the optimum will always be the right tool for each job. Also to be considered is what's best is what works for you.

It's generally accepted that for strumming acoustic, the lighter the gauge the easier, less bright (because of less attack) but warmer yet fully and clearer each string will ring out on the strum IME. I prefer using nylon .46mm or lighter for this task, but respect individual preference will vary. Depending upon the tone and timbre I'm actually after I may use a .60, .73 or even .88.

Picking aka flatpicking, generally the thicker gauges, choice dependent upon the degree of attack required for the tune. I can usually get by with a .83 as a compromise if I need to strum as well, but prefer heavier for anything requiring significant attack. e.g. 1.0 through 1.4mm for individual note picking, again preferably nylon Dunlop full size, Joyo JP-01 or Dunlop Jazz III.

Electric I frequently use 1.0 as my all rounder, but will equally often use .88mm depending upon the degree of strumming, the tonal attack required vs trebly chime. e.g. "Paranoid", "Smoke on the Water", I'll use 1.0 or heavier. VOX AC30 tones for "She Loves You" chords with its dyad riff or "You're Gonna' Lose That Girl" chords with its short solo .88, but I can do 1.0 or heavier gauge too.

My preference may change as I learn and develop through firstly the Rock and then Blues courses to instinctive impro soloing and beyond, but I think the basic concepts prevail. Thicker for note picking or harder attack, thinner for strumming or lighter attack.

# 2
Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
02/19/2019 8:41 pm

Thank you! great information.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.