Jam Tracks ... ?

jake3126
Full Access
jake3126
Full Access
12/15/2018 8:16 pm

Do these songs that you learn at Guitartricks sound good without a jam track? It seems like every song that I have looked at has a final performance and it's never with just the guitar.

I really want to use my guitar without having to have any kind of backing .... play songs that sound good without a jam track or another instrument to accompany me with.

Think like if you were to just pick up a guitar at a guitarshop and want to play or grab the guitar to play around the bonfire ... the last thing I want to do is have to cue up a jamtrack on my phone to play with. That would be silly.

I hope this question make sense.

Jake

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
12/15/2018 9:42 pm

Hi Jake ☺

"These songs"?

More info required.

What type of guitar? i.e. acoustic, amplified acoustic, electric

Style or genre of "songs" specifically are you referring to?

Where are you currently at with your playing?

Most popular music is performed by an ensemble, and layered and remixed by studio engineers, or mixed by a sound engineer live. Then there are vocals, lead and backing. You can't hope to replicate anything which sounds near the same without a backing track unless you are playing Fingerstyle or Classical or immitating Tommy Emmanual, et al. Even Ed Sheeran uses a looper for minimalist backing.

Where backing tracks are available. Use them.

Some of the material taught here is adapted to single guitar, e.g "She Loves You", but of course if it wasn't originally played or intended to be played that way, it's infinitely more challenging. Others not offered with a single guitar adaptation will offer both rhythm and lead guitar tutorials, but suggest which should be played solo with the backing track if only one guitar is present, e.g. "Surfer Girl" and of course there are always alternative sites with backing tracks where you can choose what instruments you do and don't want included.

If you're after campfire versions, pick songs which facilitate that. They're usually simple rhythm progressions which sound pretty darn good in any impromptu jam with friendly voices in harmony and all those endorphins flowing. Of course, the embellishments heard on the original recordings will be absent, e.g. "Horse With No Name", but caught up in the harmony and moment, no one except you will really notice.

Plenty of "made simple" adaptations on Guitar Tricks also. Search.

Bottom line is, any song only sounds as good as the sum of its original parts. The fewer you include, the further you get away from the original sound. That said, there are many with either a dominant rhythm and vocal with a simple repetitive progression or vocal that facilitate what it is you want to do and sound just great with even a single acoustic guitar and vocalist. e.g. "Hallelujah", "Stand By Me", "Every Breath You Take". OK that last cover has two guitars but still sounds impressive with one, or if wanted backed with a second laid down on a looper a la Ed Sheeran et al. Percussion isn't necessary, but can also be accomplished with inclusions on any decent looper if wanted.

Alternatively, right here on Guitar Tricks, Sam Cooke's "You Send Me" and "Wonderful World", or Dan Peek's composition for America, "Don't Cross The River" as taught comprehensively by Caren Armstrong. All fairly simple, though Caren will teach you to play them with unambiguous presence. I found each of those last three easily learnable literally within a few hours, a lot of fun included in the journey, and polished to presentably playable to an audience without embarrassing myself attainable within a solid day's effort.

GL with finding what you are looking for. Cheers 😎

# 2
jake3126
Full Access
jake3126
Full Access
12/15/2018 9:58 pm

Thanks for all the info!

I guess when I said "These Songs'' I meant to say, are there any songs that are composed for only one guitar and no other instruments.

It seems like the songs that I was looking through on the site all were chord progressions with a strumming .... A, C, D, then reapeat with a certain strumming pattern. Which sounds pretty, but I feel needs vocals or other instruments to help. I'm looking to have the guitar sing intself with help from my fingers and not my voice or backing.

So, with that being said and after reading your detailed answer it looks like I need to find more fingerstyle guitar lessons to get what I'm after?

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
12/15/2018 10:20 pm

Fingerstyle is beautiful, and of course the arrangements invariable instrumental for single guitar. Without question one of my favourites. I love it but don't play it ...yet...if ever. An inarguably challenging, and different discipline requiring a dedication all its own methinks. I understand its allure.

Possibly a good starter, but better with a vocal is "Hallelujah" played fingerstyle. Instantly recognisable by almost everyone, and universially liked by most as well.

Here for inspiration are three of my favourite fingerstyle artists playing some of my most loved fingerstyle songs, albeit accomplished presentations.

Kanaho

Sandra Bae

Gabriella Quevedo

Enjoy 😎

PS. Suppose I should have mentioned first, and will include belatedly by PS that Lisa has a fundamental fingerstyle course on Guitar Tricks, reinforced with advanced technique lessons by others.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.