trouble playing along with backing tracks

ladybug29
ladybug29
10/16/2018 10:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 65 year old beginner. I needed a hobby since I have retired and always wanted to play guitar. The problem I'm having is I can read the tabs and even play through them with a little practice but as soon as Lisa counts me in and the band begins to play I'm suddenly all thumbs and I'm a mess. If I turn off the computer and play the piece I have little trouble remembering and playing the piece.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/16/2018 11:20 pm

Hi ladybug29,

This is pretty common. Everybody learns at their own pace. When the you play with a backing track it might be a little more difficult because you have to suddenly keep up with the other instruments. When you're playing alone, you keep your own time and that's a bit easier to do.

It takes a bit of time and practice, but I do suggest trying to play along with the backing track so you can get used to playing a song at full speed. Be prepared to mess up, because there's no avoiding that. But playing at full speed teaches you when to change chords, and teaches you a bit of rhythm as well.

Stick with it, and I am sure you will get it!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
manXcat
manXcat
10/17/2018 1:01 am

Hi ladybug29

As suggested in the previous post by the admin, perseverence. Just keep at it. Even if you're up to speed with the song's tempo on your own, I find backing tracks require adjustment to settle into the same rhythm. Rote slog and familiarity will work it out for you in the end.

Similar age to you, playing guitar again for similar reasons. What you're experiencing is entirely normal.

# 3
gameonmusic
gameonmusic
10/17/2018 8:05 am

What if you isolate part of the backing track? [br][br]I mean how are you at playing along to just drums? [br][br]drums + bass?[br][br]I'm just wondering if your brain is getting confused at listening to the different rhythms (it's common with new drummers too)?

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/17/2018 1:14 pm
Originally Posted by: ladybug29

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 65 year old beginner. I needed a hobby since I have retired and always wanted to play guitar. The problem I'm having is I can read the tabs and even play through them with a little practice but as soon as Lisa counts me in and the band begins to play I'm suddenly all thumbs and I'm a mess. If I turn off the computer and play the piece I have little trouble remembering and playing the piece.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And rest assured that because you're having that happen now, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to folks with a lot of experience too.

I seem to always want to give an example, so here I go; I'm learning Jingle Bell Rock for our church's Christmas service. Not an overly complex song but the iconic opening rockabilly riff is harder than it would seem. I mean, broken down, not really. However, timing on the little riff when you drop further down the neck a few frets is slightly tricky to do up to speed.

I've been playing forever and can tackle most anything I want to play but, playing anything up to speed takes a few spins through it even for most great guitar players.

Yes, learn to play more slowly. Always helps to get it down. You should expect that when you start playing something up to speed that you feel a little left behind. Keep going even if you get a little lost and behind. Eventually you'll 'catch up'.

It is the number one mistake of any guitar player makes; feeling like you can't play it awesome right away. All guitar players do it. All.

Make mistakes, checkle when they happen and keep plugging away.

# 5
ladybug29
ladybug29
10/25/2018 7:15 pm

Thanks everyone for your encoragement and your suggestions.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.