Barre Chords

markhofmann
markhofmann
08/09/2018 11:33 am

Guitar Fundementals 2 and barre chords. Any tips on mastering barre chords .I know of many people who gave up guitar because they got fustrated . Any tips on dealing with fustration.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/09/2018 10:55 pm

Spaced learning + tenacity.

The former, a technique, you can learn sufficiently to apply within 30 minutes. The latter, influenced by personality and temperament, needs to be acquired which usually takes 'a little longer'.

# 2
epalf
epalf
08/10/2018 7:23 am

On the point of spaced learning. I do feel that the section relating to barre chords just goes on too long in what appears to be one long chunk. I reached the stage when I clicked onto the next lesson and my heart sank when it was yet more barre chords. For me it would be better if it were interspersed with other lessons just to mix it up a bit. To get around it I've devised my own programme where I do say 5 minutes finger exercises, 10 minutes barre chords, a little time re-capping other things, then go onto learning a song or because I've just bought a cheap looper, mucking about with that and trying to jam a bit over the top of what I do. Not very successfully I ought to add. I must admit though that the concentrated lessons on barre chords did for a while start to dissolution me a bit and I started to dread picking my guitar up because I was getting nowhere slowly. I do appreciate it's all about practise and repetition to master things, but speaking for myself as possibly one of your more senior members, it take me longer than most to master something and need to feel I'm getting somewhere, which I didn't for a while.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/10/2018 8:24 am

I can relate to everything you say epalf.

Unless I am focussed upon attaining a specific objective in particular whereas I might stick at it all day through several sessions, or over the course of several days if necessary, I do pretty much the same thing, but generally over the course of multiple sessions per day. Variety maintains the interest and short term success reinvigorates motivation.

I've got a couple of loopers too. I too find consistently timing the loop begin-end is quite an acquired art. Strangely I find the more capable multi-button NUX Loop Core (Boss clone) the easier to use. The sequential click sequence of the Kokko SOS mini (Ditto clone) is confusing. The light and click sequences are uninstinctive. It could be I just need to spend more time with it until it becomes second nature, which I don't because I have the other.

# 4
zog54
zog54
09/19/2018 9:04 am

I spent weeks on barre chords with no success, buzzing strings, the forefinger not applying enough pressure, the pinkie wandering off on it’s own.

I finally decided I would never be able to play them, went back to open chords, went on a holiday etc etc.

Then, one day, I decided to try again and lo and behold, the first one I tried rung true, then the next and the next.

My advice? Concentrate on power chords, they are a good basis, then move on to simple minor power chords, get them right before you try the more complicated ones, but most of all, don’t be scared to take a break, you may be resting but your brain and muscle memory are still working.

You may be surprised at the results.

# 5
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
01/31/2021 8:32 pm

I have really struggled with barre chords, I did good with the 6th string major chord, 5th string major chords and 5th string minor, but could not do 6th string minor chords. I struggled 6-8 months. I got on google and typed in why cant I play barre chords, found a thread of course and a couple of comments said they had been struggling for years, now I dont feel quite as bad. One person on the thead suggested too make the E chord shape with your last three fingers and let your first finger hang, because if you put your barre finger down first it makes your other 3 fingers less mobile, started too practice this and with in a couple of days problem solved, now switching between chords.

# 6
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
01/31/2021 9:49 pm

First of all there are no "minor power chords". It is the nature of power chords that they don't have a third, which is what determines what is a Major and Minor chord. Power chords are just made up of 2 notes (called a diad) and can be used in place of major and minor chords.

I have heard people, who struggled with Barr Chords, that they learned much faster if they grabbed the chord part first and then added the Barr. It has been a long time since I struggled with barr chords, but I remember that it took a long time before I could reliably play them. I also remember that Barr Chords really opened up the guitar in many ways.

Hang in there! It does eventually come together. But not without a lot of practice. This is a perfect example where patient, persistant, practice pays dividends. You really do want to be able to play Barr Chords. They are curcial to playing many songs and they also play a big part in transposing songs to other keys. They make you work to learn them, but they really open the posiblities of what a guitar can do. Otherwise you are stuck in a cowboy chord world that is very limited.

I would also advise that you listen to the recommendations to feel free to take a break when ever you get really frustrated. Some times this is all that is needed. This is a new skill you are learning and it becomes useful in varrious ways for varrious people.

patient, persistant, practice.....

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 7
jsparks3
jsparks3
01/31/2021 10:13 pm

A tip on here that worked for me was pulling my elbow in tight. This allowed me to get more on the tips of my fingers. Just plowing through the tutorials wasnt working for me either. I found a couple of songs in the tutorial section that have one or two barre chords to practice along with and this made practicing barre chords much more enjoyable. Hotel California (made easy) includes a bonus lesson:verse arpeggiation that is a great exercise for making sure each string is ringing clear on both your barre chords and open chords. I start out with this each practice session

# 8
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
01/31/2021 10:23 pm

jsparks3, thank you, yes keeping the elbow tight, I always had most trouble with my barre finger sometimes the E,B, or G string would not ring out, so i just kept pushing harder too no sucess, made my hand and elbow hurt. I'm a lefty, still same concept, will checkout the Hotel Califonia, top of the list of one of my songs too learn. Thank you

# 9
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/01/2021 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by: mcchuck47

jsparks3, thank you, yes keeping the elbow tight, I always had most trouble with my barre finger sometimes the E,B, or G string would not ring out, so i just kept pushing harder too no sucess, made my hand and elbow hurt. I'm a lefty, still same concept, will checkout the Hotel Califonia, top of the list of one of my songs too learn. Thank you

I had to give up guitar for several years due to persistant forearm and wrist pain. I finally went to a Physical Theripist and she brought me back to guitar playing. One of her "fixes" was to have me stop holding my elbow tight to my body. Her rational was that if you look at the path (along your fretting arm) that you are applying pressure to... you can easily see how the tight elbow creates many more strain on your joints. Every time you work around a bent joint, you increase the friction and thus the resistance and strain to your muscles, joints, and with enough persistance even your nerves.

She had me change this tight elbow by playing in front of a mirror. It took me a while to get comfortable with this new position (more shoulder movement/ less wrist bending). However I am playing guitar again, and I am sure losing the tight elbow was a large part of my return to playing guitar.

I can see how this might help you to get your first grip on playing Barr Chords, my experience clearly speaks against long term use of this strategy. Once you can play a clear Barr Chord, I would suggest there are good reasons to move away from that tight elbow crutch before it causes long term problems.

I know there are many guitarist who play with a tight elbow, but I suspect all of them would benifit from reducing the strain on their arms. In my case it was my return ticket to ride.

# 10
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
02/01/2021 5:37 pm

Thank you, I went through physical therapy for my elbow about a year ago, my job is repetitive as being a welder. I was always told keep the elbow tight, didn't really help that much, I practice in front of a mirror as well. I learned a lot about posture from Guitar Principles. Thank you for sharing your experience, greatly appreciated.

# 11
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/01/2021 7:23 pm
Originally Posted by: mcchuck47

Thank you, I went through physical therapy for my elbow about a year ago, my job is repetitive as being a welder. I was always told keep the elbow tight, didn't really help that much, I practice in front of a mirror as well. I learned a lot about posture from Guitar Principles. Thank you for sharing your experience, greatly appreciated.

I can see how a tight elbow could reduce stress if you are holding something in place (like on a welding job). However the stresses of playing guitar are dynamic and in a constant state of change. Though not a welder, I suspect that those activities are diffrent in that way.

I found that watching the mirror worked best for me when I watched to see that my elbow moved with my wrist. All this kind of movement up and down the neck was simply made by my shoulder joint. This was very identifiable in my reflection.

Good luck with your fretting arm.

# 12
joe.meals
joe.meals
03/02/2021 6:53 pm

I have found Lay Lady Lay by Bob Dylan to be a good Barre chord exercise and more engaging than some of the lessons. I don't have the strength yet to make it through the whole thing but I enjoy it enough to keep coming back to it.

# 13
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
03/02/2021 7:35 pm

Thank you, will check that one out, I have been giving Joe Walsh turned to stone a go, getting the beginning riff down. Thank you everyone for your support, deeply appreciated.

# 14
gregmchir
gregmchir
03/16/2021 6:48 pm

I had a hard time with barre chords as well I also have arthritis in my hands I was using acoustic for the fundamentals part I went to a guitar shop and explained my situation They recommended different strings I think they were lighter . I also had the action lowered . Electric is also easier for barre chords. While I did play a lot of the songs in funadamentals I also learned some Bob Dylan songs 2pick rated . Bob Dylan uses Barre chords in his songs great for learning and practicing barre chords Also dont have your finger flat to barre use the edge of your finger slightly roll it . Just practice a simple barre with your first finger and make sure all the strings ring out . You have to find a position that works for you .

# 15
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
03/16/2021 9:37 pm

Yes it is much easier too do barre chords with electric 9-42 strings. I bought an acoustic about 6 months ago after a few years of playing and I am putting lighter strings on 10-47's. I just keep working at the barre chords. Will check out Bob Dylan. Thank you

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.