PRS Private Stock... is it worth the price tag?

shawmin02
Full Access
shawmin02
Full Access
07/26/2018 7:57 pm

OK, so I have a question (albeit opinion based). Been playing guitar for 18 years. Pretty good, but I also know the more I learn the less I know (if that makes sense). My question is this... is PRS Private Stock that much better in terms of quality and tonewoods than the rest of the PRS line? In other words, are they really with the $10K+ price tag?

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/26/2018 8:59 pm
Originally Posted by: shawmin02

OK, so I have a question (albeit opinion based). Been playing guitar for 18 years. Pretty good, but I also know the more I learn the less I know (if that makes sense). My question is this... is PRS Private Stock that much better in terms of quality and tonewoods than the rest of the PRS line? In other words, are they really with the $10K+ price tag?

A relative and subjective answer.

Subjectively, no. My personal, non-data based answer is; once you get past $2500-$3000, you get diminishing returns. Dollars stop equaling quality and improvements. That's the 'relative' part. If you get a $500 Epiphone Les Paul versus a $2000 Gibson Les Paul, there is a difference. That's not to say that the Epi isn't a great instrument, but I hold that there is a difference and one that you can identify. At some point, you start paying for the exclusivity of having a special (eg - Private Stock) instrument.

I think the issue is even more pronounced when you get in to artist models (like an Ace Frehley 'Budokon' etc). There, you're paying for a guitar because it would be like playing Ace's instrument. Great, if you actualy like the same feel of a guitar as Ace....that, or you just wanna hang it on the wall.

And that's where the real answer lies; I want a guitar that I would enjoy playing and that is very likely not going to be found in an artist model and even to a private stock, it's pretty certain I can find a guitar I want to play for a lot less than $10k.

I'll end with this; the Les Paul in my avatar...I love playing that guitar. It was made for me. Not literally but it might as well have been. I didn't need to pay $10k for it. I didn't even need to pay $2k (it was a heck of a deal for a new guitar). It wants me to play it and I didn't spend a car loan on it.

# 2
shawmin02
Full Access
shawmin02
Full Access
07/26/2018 9:34 pm

That's a detailed and thoughtful response. I appreciate it. I play a Les Paul Standard HP now and love the instrument. I was looking into PRS for two reasons...

1.) Reputation for quality

2.) Look and feel (I love the look and feel of a high-end PRS in my hands)

I really dig the high-end PRS lineup, great mix / diversity, but the private stock seems alluring for tonewood choice, hardware and aesthetic beauty. Plus, it's a one-of-a-kind instrument. A piece of art, really. But, if the hardware and tonewoods on a Private Stock aren't worth a $5K+ markup, then it doesn't make sense to pay for marketing.

# 3
andrewlross87
andrewlross87
08/05/2018 12:39 am

Private stock is more aimed at is this the "one" for you.

It isn't so much a value from an economical sense as much as it is sentimental.

No one pays 5k+ for a guitar for economical reasons. They pay it because it is the "one" for them.

Kinda like marriage ;)

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.