Where to start?

landsman.daniel
landsman.daniel
05/14/2018 5:56 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the site and am excited to get going. I have been teaching myself the guitar since I was 18 (I am now 25). I know quite a few songs, I know random licks and bits and pieces of music theory from rabbit hole days on youtube. My question is, is it in my best interest to pretend I know less and go through the formal lessons laid out in the guitar fundamentals part 2? I took lessons from an instructor for about 2 months last summer but the money was not worth what I was learning in the short 30-minute time frame (and he was an easily distracted, prone to riff type teacher) but in that time I learned everything from the first part so I am comfortable skipping that.

I have an urge to jump ahead and start getting into one of the genre based lessons (I just purchased my first electric guitar last week -- have been playing a big baby Taylor for the past few years) but would I be wise to relearn things like major and minor scales from a more trusting source with continuity of learning?

Thanks!

Daniel

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/14/2018 7:49 pm

Hi Daniel,

Since you have some experience under your belt, I think it would be perfectly fine if you jumped into the Experienced lessons here: https://www.guitartricks.com/experienced.php

You can start on Blues, Country, or Rock level 1 and if it's too easy, you can always skip ahead in the lessons, or if it's too difficult, you can always jump back to Guitar Fundamentals 2.

Hope that works!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.