Playing electric through PC but in the background

robertkueiwu
Full Access
robertkueiwu
Full Access
05/08/2018 3:34 pm

Has anyone tried and been successful in getting their PC to allow you to play your electic guitar in the background while watching video lessons at the same time? If you have been successful, can you please share how you did it?

Thanks in Advance,

Rob Wu

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/08/2018 11:31 pm

Hi robertkueiwu,

Do you mean you want to plug your electric guitar into your PC, and have it play through your PC speakers?

If so, I don't think there's an easy way to do that unless you have an audio interface and an audio workstation software like ProTools or Ableton.

Otherwise, you may just want to try playing your electric guitar with your amp, as you watch video lessons.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
robertkueiwu
Full Access
robertkueiwu
Full Access
05/09/2018 2:49 am

I wanted to play through my PC with headphones on, instead of using an external amp, so that I could practice while my kids were asleep. Trying to make as little noise as possible after bedtime.

# 3
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
05/09/2018 6:01 am

I have connected my gear with PC for recording purposes. First step was using a freeware software called Audacity. But I didn't connect my guitar directly into PC. I connected a guitar to an amp, and amp to PC. The main problem with this setup was latency, I was able to hear the notes much later than I've played them. It made playing vere difficult. Then I bought quite affordable M-Audio PC interface, where I can plug a guitar (and other instruments) directly. With the interface came ProTools Express audio workstation. It has enough sounds and virtually modelled amps and effects for my purposes.

For your purposes, if you have an amp, connect headphones directly into it. That's the easiest way to play without disturbing the others.

# 4
Fcricket75
Full Access
Fcricket75
Full Access
05/09/2018 6:21 am

Hi robertkueiwu,

i wanted to do the same and succeeded with an external audio interface (scarlet 2i4) and with an amp simulator as amplitube or positive grid. That way I can watch any lesson from GT or you tube, and play guitar.

my PC speakers and my headset are directly connected to the scarlet, and you have to set it up as default sound in windows.

Pascal

# 5
Mid_Life Crisis
Mid_Life Crisis
05/09/2018 10:58 am

Have you thought about approaching it the other way round? If your amp has a line in, you could play the PC through it with headphones pugged into the amp.

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/09/2018 11:55 am

Yes, there is an option: IK Multimedia USB interfaces.

You do not need recording software to use it. Quote from Sweetwater'siRig 2 page:

"Inspiration doesn't always strike at the most convenient time, but now it can. Because the iRig HD 2 is so portable, you can have a massive arsenal of amps and stompboxes wherever you are. And, it's perfect for those late nights when cranking your amp up to 10 isn't an option."

Works with Mac or PC and comes loaded with amp software. I've had an IK interface for several years. I did a review here on GT a few years ago and most of what I thought still stands, albeit IK has evolved their products: Link >>

# 7
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
05/09/2018 2:19 pm

I do this by running my laptop from the headphone out into the auxiliary input on a line 6 pod then I can use headphones from the pod to hear my laptop and my guitar together.

# 8
Mraie
Mraie
05/11/2018 4:49 am

I have a vox amplug 2 in the guitar with a pair of headphones. I then connect the audio from guitar tricks via aux line on the amp plug.

# 9
robertkueiwu
Full Access
robertkueiwu
Full Access
05/13/2018 4:24 pm

Thank you all for your help. My solution in the end was to get an inexpensive headphone amp with an aux in. Now I can play with headphones on and a line out from my computer to the aux in on the headphone amp.

# 10
demonblood1
demonblood1
05/14/2018 2:26 pm

Why is everyone making it hard for themselves!? Just plug your hdml cable from your pc/laptop to your TV and watch it on a big screen. No extra purchase anywhere. Save your money for a rainy day and buy a new pedal or something. This way you can watch GT on a bigger screen. Unless you have some recording software and want to hear how it sounds when learning a new song on your pc. Just keeping things in perspective.Ć°ÅøĖœā€° I thought GT would have it on there FAQ, but doesn't.

# 11
Mid_Life Crisis
Mid_Life Crisis
05/14/2018 2:53 pm

Ha! Not quiite so easy when you're competing against a 6 year old wanting to watch cartoons and a better half wanting to watch reality TV nonsense, there is a reason I retreat into my man cave to play guitar you know!

# 12
demonblood1
demonblood1
05/14/2018 3:33 pm

Ha, too funny. Same here, I have two and this is one of the reasons I don't have anymore kids. I feel you. As for reality TV yeah , all women do it and some men. Glad the lady works at night. As for what i mentioned about the TV. that's just an option.

# 13
pattyb5
pattyb5
05/22/2018 3:51 pm
Originally Posted by: Fcricket75

Hi robertkueiwu,

i wanted to do the same and succeeded with an external audio interface (scarlet 2i4) and with an amp simulator as amplitube or positive grid. That way I can watch any lesson from GT or you tube, and play guitar.

my PC speakers and my headset are directly connected to the scarlet, and you have to set it up as default sound in windows.

Pascal

buy an inexpensive boss multip effects pedal and download their software. plug your guitar into that and hook the pedal into the usb of your computer. wala

# 14
RCB-CA-USA
RCB-CA-USA
05/28/2018 12:24 pm

My first amp was a Fender Princeton Reverb, fast forward to various tubed Champs and a Twin Reverb, a Vox, and a Blackstar, I know what a tube amp sounds like.

Tube pre-amps are the way to go with computers and multi-effects.

I plug my acoustic, classical, and electric guitars into tube pre-amps and then to the input of a Line6 POD HD Pro X, plus I use a stereo pre-amp in the effects loop and insert it where it's needed, then that's plugged into a USB interface and powered speakers.

Nothing else sounds good to me via a computer, nothing.

With the tube pre-amps and the POD, I've got *complete* control over my tone and there's nothing lacking with the tube preamps to color the sound, but the POD sounds like krap without the tube preamps.

That setup is easy to transport with a laptop/4-space flight case (power supply, pod, and stereo preamp takes up 4 spaces, laptop secured and covered), much better than lugging around tube amps. It's heavy, but not a back breaker. I won't buy another tube amp and will continue to refine my sound by tube pre-amps, signal proseccors, and computers and computer mixers and computer interfaces.

You need a real good computer so don't skimp on the computer, but you can skimp on the preamps and multi-effects and get a complete setup cheap if you know how to use compressors and noise gates and other tools to refine sound. I use a circa 2012 workhorse, a Dell Latitude with an i5, 16-gigs of ram, ssd hd, Win 7, military grade casing (it can be thrown and it still works), does everything I need without a hitch after getting everything synced. Cheap computers will leave you frustrated because cheap computers can't reproduce true high definition sound and that's what makes the difference, a good computer. This Dell does full high def with a Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen into Reaper with the proper configuration.

Oh, and here's the kicker; be ready to invest big money in cables. You need to go full Mogami or better or stay home, you'll sound like krap if you use cheap cables. And, the cables I use with a multi-input stereo rig costs 5 times more than my laptop! I got this laptop cheap refurbished w/ an ssd, the cables are over 1k dollars, the laptop 300. ...XLR cables, patch cables, guitar cable, wireless connection to pedal board, non-wired to pedal board, two pre-amps with seprate outputs for acoustic and electric, it ads up quick, over 1k for cables.

I started out with junk and worked my way up over the years, so don't let all that get in your way, just eat the elephant one bite at a time, get what you can but focus on a good computer first, then a good signal processor, then good tube preamps, then good cables. You can start out for about $500.00 with an older Dell and an older USB interace, ok cables, almost any multi-effects will do the trick but the ultra noisy ones like the Fender Mustang Head I tried. A Behringer pre-amp can be gotten cheap and get the job done better than an any amp head I've tried thus far...Blackstar, Marshall, Vox, Fender, none sound as good as the above.

Otherwiwse, it's about 4k for the ultimate budget computer studio quality rig (not including the gutiars unless you use a cheap guitar you can play the krap out of, lol), and it's a rig you can take anywhere if you have a TSA case.

When I upgrade the cables, USB, laptop, and Line 6, if I ever upgrade, I've already shopped it out, the next level of good, we're talkin about, oh, at least 10 to 20k for ultra high quality equipment. No sense putting junk cables on a 2,500 dollar multi-effects/amp processor and a 1,200 dollar high quality laptop and a 500 dollar interface ,right? ...at that point, the cables collectlvely cost as much or more than the computer and effects and interface!

It will be interesting to hear how a cheap multi-effects sounds through a dream rig. I haven't put a cheap effects pedal through the rest of this rig, yet. Should be interesting. The one that sounded the best and felt like a tube amp without a tube pre-amp was a Vox multi-effects I had, it just sounded and felt so natural, but it was very limited in the effects and metal sounds and it still didn't sound good without real tubes, so I ditched it, now I want it back to hear how it sounds through tube preamps I've got now, it should sound utterly amazing!

# 15
RCB-CA-USA
RCB-CA-USA
08/05/2018 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: RCB-CA-USA

You need a real good computer so don't skimp on the computer...

I got a Dell Precision. There's a huge difference in the the sound quality between a Dell Latitude and a Dell Precsion. With the Latitude, the battery needed to be unplugged or there was faint USB noise from the battery power supply, faint noise but noise that interfered with the final sound. Also, Windows services needed to be turned off to be able to run the USB at low latency on the Latitudfe. Not so with the Precision. The Precsion uses a 180 watt power supply, an i7 CPU and, the kicker, a Xeon mainboard controller. All that makes a huge difference in amplitude and headroom, the sound is just huge and vivid and clear without any adjustment with the Precision, tones just dial right in, 100% convincing...and M4700 w/ ssd, 16-gigs of ram, i7 dual core, 1980 x 1080p screen, for $269.00, plus $9.00 shipping, lol., ssssscore!

I was shopping around for a Precision and found a book store that had this one collecting dust and it was priced for a quick sale, done. It's in like new condition, the Service Tag is valid and under my name now. I just ordered a quad core, a better video card, new fans, Bluetooth, finger print reader palm rest, HD webcam, backlit keyboard, all Dell parts, and it's getting more ram and an SSD drive. The way it sits is fine, but it needs to run cold in a flight box so it needs some leg room to run cool.

Frickin' score! $269.00, ...two hundred sixty nine dollars and it's like getting a Marshall and Fender and Roland and Mesa Boogie and VOX and Diesel all rolled into one box.

...total cost for tonight's computer/DAW session? ...oh, just under 7k total for the whole thing from the SG to the JBL speakers. Is it worth it? ...yeah. It's as vivid as it gets for this level of equipment, the Kempler system is the next level up, but add $2,700.00 for the Kempler plus $1,000.00 for passive speakers, or two guitar cabs, still need the POD for effects, the Kempler is just an amp modler with a power amp. My rig as it sits is about 10% less vivid than the Kempler, ...$2,700.00 for the last 10%, that's a lot 'o money for 10% but that's the difference between pristine sound, and not.

# 16
Medrod
Full Access
Medrod
Full Access
08/15/2018 8:10 pm

I, too, connected my guitar to pc using Audacity for the software interface. I got a 1/4" to USB cable from Sweetwater and that completed the circuit. Works very well.

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.