Christian Music?

justagal83
Full Access
justagal83
Full Access
02/06/2018 1:27 pm

Perhaps, it will be nice to include christian music in the genre?

I learn guitar primarily to worship the Lord.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
02/06/2018 8:11 pm

Hi there,

This is a good point. We definitely want to add more genres and styles of play, and this is a great suggestion.

You may always use this form to send us song requests so that we know exactly what you and the rest of the community are looking for.

Song Request form here: https://guitartricks.typeform.com/to/rmHzhK

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/06/2018 10:22 pm
Originally Posted by: justagal83

The method here at Guitar Tricks is very sensible and can take you in many constructive directions. Even if you are a more advanced player, there is stuff. For beginners, it's second to none.

That said, there are other (for pay) worship related guitar instruction pages like Guitarmann. Still, lots of fundemental stuff here to glean from the page.

Though I do get you pain. I've been playing for a long time and mostly hang here for some lessons and songs but having become active in a church a few years ago, I found myself in the church band (...for the record, the phrase 'Worship Team' drives me crazy) playing guitar, bass or drums. Small church so if you can play a few instruments, well........So I do.....

To the point though, there aren't a lot of worhip song lessons around. I'm new to so many of these songs and usually need to learn them at the drop of a hat. You range from hymns to Keith Green to Hillsong...and I know almost none of them. I've really only been going to church for 6ish years and playing songs the last 3.....Lots to catch up on so I go to Youtube and/or Ultimate Guitar for chords.

Ultimate Guitar is frustrating because it's not accurate, the default key is often wrong and there always seems to be an extra chord in there somewhere.

If Guitar Tricks had some, I'd find it very useful. Though just as an easy way to get the gist of a song.

# 3
richard.k.ralph
richard.k.ralph
07/25/2018 6:03 am

i agree that that addition of some contemporary christian music would be a great compliment within GuitarTricks library of music. I have seen this acknowledged by the Administrator but i have not seen any music lessons loaded up. If you need some suggestions i'm happy to provide a list!

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/25/2018 3:36 pm

If you are looking to suggest songs, Full Access members can go here and request: https://guitartricks.typeform.com/to/rmHzhK

Just for the record since I play drums/guitar/bass in my church band (small church..utility is key.....) and really, key to most church songs are to know the chords: G, C, D, F, A and E. Generally speaking in open configeration and major chords. That'll get you most church songs...and a whole lotta other pop/rock songs too!

To my GT Admins and instructor friends; worship songs might be worth considering. It is a huge market and a segment looking for new songs to add to their services. My little church, we add often. Food for thought.

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/26/2018 3:20 pm

Would it be fair to say that Christian music is a lyrics-based genre while other genres (rock, blues, country...) are 'music' based? By that I mean, is there a 'sound' to be had playing Christian music like there is an identifiable sound in rock, blues, country, etc.?

There is Christian music that is based upon and played in the style of the above and other genres but, from the point of view of 'playing music', with guitar and other instruments, I don't see Christian music as a separate genre. It's more accurate, I think, to consider Christian music as a sub-genre oif others, e.g, Christian rock, Country Christian, Gospel (blues), etc..

IMO, a better fit would be to present individual song lessons, not a group of separate genre lessons such as those found on GT's Guitar Styles page or in GT's Core Learning System. YMMV.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
Medrod
Full Access
Medrod
Full Access
08/15/2018 8:39 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

(...for the record, the phrase 'Worship Team' drives me crazy)

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one!

# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/16/2018 12:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Medrod
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

(...for the record, the phrase 'Worship Team' drives me crazy)

[p]

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one!

Right?

For the record, we named ourself 'The Soggy Wafers'....long story. Our pastor (and generally our bass player) has a great sense of humor.

# 8
Medrod
Full Access
Medrod
Full Access
08/16/2018 8:25 pm

For the record, we named ourself 'The Soggy Wafers'....long story. Our pastor (and generally our bass player) has a great sense of humor.

[/quote]

Love it!

# 9
SickRiffForJesus
SickRiffForJesus
08/30/2018 3:04 pm

I've been just starting to learn guitar at 31. It's been interesting, and I'm starting to "get it" but my life is so chaotic I can't do in-person lessons at set days/times anymore. Youtube is hit or miss, and I found out about Guitar Tricks. Interested in starting and using it, but I noticed that out of the 700 songs there aren't any of the popular contemporary songs that I want to play.

One of the main reasons I want to learn guitar is to express my feelings in worship, and not having ANY christian songs at all is almost enough for me to look elsewhere. I even just made this account to post that there is definitely a group of people who would love to have some of these songs in the song list.

# 10
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/30/2018 9:46 pm

I'm not one of them.

Quickest way to lose my paid sub is to redirect focus to religion or politics here.

......unless perhaps you were suggesting hits like "My Sweet Lord", " All Things Must Pass" and think it'd also be a great idea to include George's huge hit single (#12 in 1969) the "Hare Krishna Mantra" expanding the consciousness of said "worship team"?

[br]Here's a suggestion. Go on to You Tube and learn "Hallelujah". The song is absurdly easy, and inarguably beautiful. Most people are shallow enough to be misled by its title and opening verse into thinking it's a religious piece. o.O

# 11
uphamglennn
uphamglennn
03/31/2021 10:39 am

Came across this articlehttps://news.amomama.com/223399-christian-music-star-audrey-assad-reveal.html What are your thoughts?

# 12
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
03/31/2021 11:41 pm

here here ManX. This is about Guitars, not religion.

# 13
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
04/01/2021 12:40 am

I think this is a great idea ! Would love to see Christian rock tunes on this site .

# 14
Christian Soldier
Christian Soldier
04/01/2021 2:19 am

I find it funny when we as Christians...talk about our faith....there are those quick to attack...so the question is why the attacks....?

The mention of My Sweet lord...for one is not a Christian song...George was no Christian, he was a pagan...yet you want to place the religion of George on a pedestal and condemn Christians....why?

but lets get back to what religion and faith is...everyone has a faith or a religion....religion is just to believe in "something" as in there is an object of that religion and faith...

As Christians...the object of our faith is Christ the Lord....for He is the way the truth and the life....and no one goes to heaven except by Him...

yours may be the faucet...you have faith in turning the faucet each and every morning to make coffee...or you may have faith in your car...when you go out to start it...that is faith...whether you want to believe it or not.

As for Christian Music...it stems from all generes....from Rock to Country - Rap to Classical...it covers a wide spectrum....

I can understand there have been many who are offended by what man deems as religion...I to am offended by "man made religion"....and within Christianity many a men have taken what was pure and tainted it by their works and evil....

In closing I will show you what religion is to God of the bible...and it might surprise you.

James 1:27[br] New American Standard Bible[br] 27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

So we can see, God's view of religion is pure...where as man made religion is dirty....its been well said...when you mix the dirt of man made religion with the purity of the word of God you get a muddy mess and that is the fallacy of man....

Its also been well said that man's religion is attempting reach the heavens, just as the Tower of Babel...where Christianity is Christ reaching down to save lost souls from the pits of hell.

I'll ask this question to the admin and the owners of Guitar Tricks...if you do not want Christians here. Be stand up enough to say so and I will take my money elsewhere...no harm no foul...but for you to allow other members to attack us for our faith is on you.

Praise be to the Lord God Almighty to Him be the glory forevermore.

Slave to Christ

RD

# 15
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
04/01/2021 9:05 am

Yeah but do you prefer strats or les pauls?

# 16
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
04/01/2021 11:46 am

Hey tinpan, I've always loved the books Paul wrote, can i choose More Paul vs Les Paul?

# 17
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
04/01/2021 7:15 pm

Ha! Nice . Only if he played a mean solo.

# 18
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/01/2021 7:37 pm

Simply amazing...I didn't know Paul Mccarney wrote books!! Wow I learn something every day about playing guitar on this site. Does anyone know the publisher?

I also have no interest in this guitar site becomming a place to efuse religiosity (like RTW so aptly demoed, above) If you want to learn to play the instrument... great!! I would love to have another musician in the world!! However, if you want to Prey on me.... please find another outlet!!!

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 19
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
04/01/2021 9:32 pm

I don`t understand why there is any controversy about this. No one`s trying to convert anyone here or turn GT into the 700 Club. Christian music is just another genre or category. It`s a big tent; room for everyone.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.