famous musicians

mbw1
mbw1
11/08/2017 9:10 pm

I always hear famous musicians saying that started playing early when they were like 12-15 years old, but I was wondering if there was any famous musician (mostly guitarplayers) who startede playing guitar late like when there were 20-30 ? or is it like almost impossible to become famous when you start so late and you need to be natural to achieve fame?

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/08/2017 10:22 pm
Originally Posted by: mbw1

I always hear famous musicians saying that started playing early when they were like 12-15 years old, but I was wondering if there was any famous musician (mostly guitarplayers) who startede playing guitar late like when there were 20-30 ? or is it like almost impossible to become famous when you start so late and you need to be natural to achieve fame?

A good example is Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest. Started after he was 20.

And then the question of fame....Funny thing, that. Since the odds of getting famous are virtually nil (statistically), a players focus should be to become just good at playing. If you like to create and write songs, build that craft. If fame is on the horizon, then it will happen because of the quality of songs and ability to execute them.

Don't look at it as being good to be famous or even do so when you're young. Chris Stapleton is nearly 40 and just getting huge now. But he put in a lot of time over the years. Paid his dues, as they say. Prior to being solo, he was with a bluesey, bluegrass band called The Steeldrivers playing for a few hundred people at a time. But learning his craft and selling some hit songs to some big folks in the meantime.

It also depends on the genre as to whether age matters and even then, not so much.

# 2
wheelbarrow180
Full Access
wheelbarrow180
Full Access
11/10/2017 6:40 am

Your question adds to one I have had about these guitarists for much of my life. When reading about their careers I am intrigued that it seems they pick up a guitar and a matter of a couple years later they are playing in bands etc. What is not mentioned is how they went from beginner to accomplished players. As I struggle along after months/years of the basics it seems unreal that someone can get so good so quick. Some do say they spent every waking minute playing thank goodness, eg Jimmy Page. Please tell me they all put the hard yards in just to comfirm that they are human and give me some hope.

# 3
mbw1
mbw1
11/10/2017 12:50 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: mbw1

A good example is Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest. Started after he was 20.

And then the question of fame....Funny thing, that. Since the odds of getting famous are virtually nil (statistically), a players focus should be to become just good at playing. If you like to create and write songs, build that craft. If fame is on the horizon, then it will happen because of the quality of songs and ability to execute them.

Don't look at it as being good to be famous or even do so when you're young. Chris Stapleton is nearly 40 and just getting huge now. But he put in a lot of time over the years. Paid his dues, as they say. Prior to being solo, he was with a bluesey, bluegrass band called The Steeldrivers playing for a few hundred people at a time. But learning his craft and selling some hit songs to some big folks in the meantime.

It also depends on the genre as to whether age matters and even then, not so much.

that is true. Well I dont consider all famous players to be a master but I was just thinking about and like if you ever will get discovered if you started playing late in life

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.