Major Concern

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
04/07/2017 7:31 am

Hi, guys.

I honestly have a major concern and it's been on my mind for quite sometime: am I ever going to be good?

I started playing guitar a year and little now, I've been through many websites, and now I'm here and love it. Learned most of the scales, chords, theory, power chords, barre chords, tabs, and you name it. I'm not saying I've learned everything but I did learn a big chunk. But I always feel like I'm stuck on the same place, same level, same music and it worries me big time. I'm always watching amateur players on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook and other places and I get really impressed and overwhelmed by their playing, their tone, their amazing improvising and I get really jealous, and then I ask myself if I'm ever going to be THAT good. If I'm ever going to be a professional player? Write beautiful music, make mesmerising improvisation? Am I going to be able to play all those great and fast songs?

Is it because I'm 32 years old and started late? Should I have started very young? Am I doing something wrong? And what worries me more is that every time I read about a great guitarist they always seem to start playing when they were 3 months! (I'm kidding, but you get the idea)

I'm sorry for the long post but I needed to let it out, I guess.

Thank you.

# 1
Joe105
Joe105
04/07/2017 9:10 am

I feel for you, I really do. It's probably a question many people ask themselves when they try to learn something they like.

It's not an easy question to answer, at least, not for me.

I've thought about how to answer your query and the word that comes to mind is 'Aptitude'. A natural ability to do something well.

OK. There are some people out there who are absolutely brilliant at mathematics. There are a lot of people who understand maths and can use it adequately, then there are those like me that just can't get their head around it. ( Oh I've tried. I can get through the basic stuff but the rest just doesn't compute with me. I haven't got the aptitude for it.)

So, maybe, although you can get the basics of guitar playing and will learn to play adequately, perhaps you just don't have the aptitude to play 'brilliantly'.

I think you have to learn where your limits are and accept the situation. It doesn't mean pack the whole thing in. The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing and accepting the fact that you are not going to be that good.

I played bass guitar in my youth. I was very good at it and my playing was admired. I also played tenor sax, clarinet, flute and keyboards but I never became good at any of them, just adequate. Didn't have the aptitude for playing them really well.

It's true that starting young is a distinct advantage but, if you haven't got the aptitude you are not going to get what you might be dreaming of.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. Keep on learning, keep on practicing, enjoy playing what you can. You might make a break through.

You will get better, no doubt about that. You need to stop worrying about becoming 'good' and learn to accept your limits.

The main thing is to enjoy what you can do now. Set yourself little goals. Rellish every moment when you make some progress. Have fun.

A bit of a long winded answer but I hope it helps somewhat.

Now I'm going to practice some chord changes and enjoy my guitar. ( An Epiphone ES339).

In August or September I want to be able to play well enough to justify getting a Fender Strat.

That will be my reward.

Will I ever be 'good' I don't know. But I will definitely enjoy the experience.

All the best

Joe.

# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
04/07/2017 12:47 pm

Joe, I can't thank you enough for your answer, I really apprciate the push you've given me.

I am well aware of a lot of things that I am good at naturally, and the things that I am not, and I can easily accept the fact that I'll never be an amazing boxer, but I'm okay with that, I still pracice it and enjoy it while I'm on, and enoy my limits.

I might, or I'm sure I don't have the apptitude for playing guitar, but this is the one thing that I cannot accept, not playing guitar isn't an option me. I love it, been dreaming of it ever since I was 10 y/o, being the next Metallica is always been my dream. Now deep inside yes, I'm no Hendrix, but I cannot accept the fact that I'm not going as good as him, or as goos as Gilmour for example.

Anyway, I'll never stop practicing and dreaming. :P

Thank you, again, for your advise, much appreciated my friend.

I want to reward myself with a Fender Strat as well, but since I live in the Middle East, it might cost me around $4,000, so I REALLY need to justify that. LOL.

# 3
donsheilacole
donsheilacole
04/07/2017 2:07 pm

Only one year!! Playing the guitar is not easy, you can learn the theory and know how things work but it takes years of practice. Just enjoy getting the finish line.

# 4
Jimmy Gibson 47
Jimmy Gibson 47
04/07/2017 4:04 pm

I feel for you jasim. You are not alone by any means. Seeing all the amazing players on YouTube put me off for a while too, and still does to some extent but you should fight the feeling of doubt and stick at it. I was a late learner at 55 and as a way of trying to show a struggler making some progress I put a series on YouTube of my journey. I haven't added to it in some time but it stands as a record of where I was. Look for jim47ww.

Anyway I wish you all the best in your efforts.

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/07/2017 8:11 pm

jasim -

This book is for you... [u]Zen Guitar[/u] by Philip Toshio Sudo. https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Guitar-Philip-Toshio-Sudo/dp/068483877X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491595557&sr=1-1&keywords=guitar+zen

Seriously... read the reviews and search the GT Forum for other members' comments. This short read will definitely help with your mindset.

Good luck and have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/08/2017 6:12 am
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

Hi, guys.

I honestly have a major concern and it's been on my mind for quite sometime: am I ever going to be good?

I started playing guitar a year and little now, I've been through many websites, and now I'm here and love it. Learned most of the scales, chords, theory, power chords, barre chords, tabs, and you name it. I'm not saying I've learned everything but I did learn a big chunk. But I always feel like I'm stuck on the same place, same level, same music and it worries me big time. I'm always watching amateur players on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook and other places and I get really impressed and overwhelmed by their playing, their tone, their amazing improvising and I get really jealous, and then I ask myself if I'm ever going to be THAT good. If I'm ever going to be a professional player? Write beautiful music, make mesmerising improvisation? Am I going to be able to play all those great and fast songs?

Is it because I'm 32 years old and started late? Should I have started very young? Am I doing something wrong? And what worries me more is that every time I read about a great guitarist they always seem to start playing when they were 3 months! (I'm kidding, but you get the idea)

I'm sorry for the long post but I needed to let it out, I guess.

Thank you.

When I first started playing guitar at 16(ish), I took to it quickly. My first two songs were Led Zep-Black Dog and Rush-Fly By Night.I didn't realize it was supposed to be hard, I just knew I wanted to learn and play those songs at that moment. So I did. At that time in my lifew, guitar came very naturally for me.

That's after failing at many instruments over a number of years prior, including guitar.

When I finally got it at 16 it's because I stopped trying so hard. To be clear, I practiced all the time. When guitar stuck, I just enjoyed doing no matter how good I was. I didn't get frustrated with it.

Let me tell you, if there is any song in this world that will challenge a guitar players playing with regard to the riff and timing, it's Black Dog. That single string verse riff is a real doozy. But I wanted to take it on and get it down. So I did. But not with crashing and burning a lot. A lot.

Even when I was playing like crap, I still enjoyed playing. I would be dillegent in get better and figuring out what I was doing wrong.

So moral of the story part one is this; greatness in anything is a result and not a goal. If you set out to be great, you will never get there. If you work hard and have a joy and passion, it's moe liklely you will get to a better (and maybe great) place.

Part two is this (and is something I was rather lazy about early one..despite my story of my first two songs above); spend a lot of time learning other peoples songs and from as many different genres as you can tolerate.

Take improvising for instance; it doesn't come from the sky. It comes from understanding the underlying vocabulary of a genre. There are riffs and licks that are common to a genere of music. How can you know them if you never play them, much less be able to improvise.

You've probably seen this guy popping up on your Facebook feed for GuitarZoom. Steve Stein. He is from Fargo North Dakota (US) and was someone on the periphery of what that music scene was in the late 80s. What he was not was an amazing player. I only kinda knew him and seemed like a good guy but no one had him pegged as making a living at guitar. But....What I am sure happened is that his passion for playing took over and he committed himself to the instrument but if you watch his videos, he has a joy in teaching it. He wants to share it.

The real deal is to stop trying to be something great with the guitar, remember that greatness is a result. But enjoy the guitar while you apply yourself to playing it. Get better but don't foget that it is not about greatness but enjoying your love for it.

# 7
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
04/08/2017 1:06 pm

I would like to say, that in some ways maybe having musical aspirations are not a bad thing. Although, i think sometimes the desire to excel can be a deterent to your progress. Whereas the love and appreciation playing can be less frustrating on the long haul. I think that the enjoyment of learning is key to long term improvment. I'll close by saying at my age i really don't care how i measure to others abilities.

# 8
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
04/14/2017 12:54 pm

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your amazing replies. I do enjoy it and I love that joy it brings. I'll never stop believing, though.

And when I get my first Grammy I'll mention you guys. :D Cheers.

# 9
maggior
maggior
04/14/2017 3:31 pm

I've been playing for over 30 years and I still wonder this myself...will I ever be really good...and I say that seriously.

[br]I say that not to discourage you, but to show you that this is a "battle" you will never overcome. You need to change your thinking. The world renowned cellist Pablo Casals was once asked why he was so committed to his practice routine. At the age of 90, his response was something along the lines of "I seem to be making some progress!".

[br]I've read the book John mentions and it is quite worth reading. I need the yearly refersher myself. I've also read a book called "The Inner Game of Music". This book I think is targeted more toward advanced and classically trained players, but there were some nuggets I was able to grab onto...such as the notion of allowing yourself to fail, and you will usually succeed.

[br]I see these guys on youtube too and think wow, they are so great, why do I suck so badly :). It is all relative. Some of these guys are pros...this is what they do for a living! If you work a day job, have a family, etc. you may not have the time they do to dedicate to playing. It's an unfair to compare yourself to them. It is also disrespectful toward them to expect that you, after a short amount of time, should be able to play like them. I don't say that to be harsh, not at all...just to show some prespective. These are things I take comfort in to help me accept where I am at.

[br]The only person to compare yourself against it you! Something that is helpful is to record yourself playing solo or over backing tracks. These can give you totally unbiased mileposts of your progress. Often, on playback you will sound better than you think you do. You may also realize that you are focusing on the wrong things. Perhaps your are playing notes cleanly, but the timing could use some work...or vice versa.

[br]It's a journey, a never ending one really. It makes it exciting and demotivating at the same time.

[br]Something that helps keep you focused, motivated, and in a positive mindset is to have a plan...one with some short term, medium term, and long term goals. This plan will change, because as you go through it, your priorities may change...your areas of interest may change. Sports always provides nice analogies for this...imagine you want to train to run marathons.

[br]Become the best player you can be. Find the music within you that inspires you to pick up the guitar. Find what it is that you want to say on the guitar...what makes you want to grab the nearest guitar and start playing along.

[br]This may all sound a bit nebulous and new agey and stuff, but it's helped me.

[br]I think Jeff makes a good point about learning songs. I'm actually refocusing on this myself now. Improvisation is great and fun, but it can't be your only focus...as he said, what you play as you improvise doesn't just come for the sky :). Unless you are Steve Vai, who says he never learned songs. He had a focus though, just not your typcial one.

[br]Keep it fun, keep it enjoyable, and keep a healthy perspective.

# 10
maggior
maggior
04/14/2017 3:34 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

You've probably seen this guy popping up on your Facebook feed for GuitarZoom. Steve Stein. He is from Fargo North Dakota (US) and was someone on the periphery of what that music scene was in the late 80s. What he was not was an amazing player. I only kinda knew him and seemed like a good guy but no one had him pegged as making a living at guitar. But....What I am sure happened is that his passion for playing took over and he committed himself to the instrument but if you watch his videos, he has a joy in teaching it. He wants to share it.

I've watched a number of Steve Stein's videos and I think he's great. I didn't know this about him...that makes me like him even more! He's a monster player, but he's humble and does a great job of teaching I think.

# 11
Papa Rich
Papa Rich
04/18/2017 4:32 pm

I wish I started in my 30s. I'm 63 and started in earnest about two years ago. If you are trying to be the next SRV, Clapton or, choose your poison, you may be in for a letdown. There are many that have tried and most have failed. The rest of us are broken up into two types- Those that are trying to be the best they can be and those that "have" to be Clapton. Be the former. Remember that, unless you bet the farm and decided that you are going to support yourself by playing guitar, you picked it up for the fun of it. It's hard for almost everyone in the beginning and one year is still the beginning.

Enjoy practicing. Enjoy learning and enjoy mimicking as best that you can, your guitar heroes. It can be done. I have mastered some songs from my past that I loved to listen to and now I can play them. Try some of your loved songs. Some are not as hard as you think. As My Guitar Gently Weeps, Stairway to Heaven and Nothing Else Matters are a few that I have learned as well as some blues. I love the fact that I can play along with my heroes. I will never be an Angus or a Clapton but I can play a few of their songs. Have fun. Did I mention to have fun!!!

# 12
Joe105
Joe105
04/18/2017 6:06 pm
Originally Posted by: PapaRich

I wish I started in my 30s. I'm 63 and started in earnest about two years ago. If you are trying to be the next SRV, Clapton or, choose your poison, you may be in for a letdown. There are many that have tried and most have failed. The rest of us are broken up into two types- Those that are trying to be the best they can be and those that "have" to be Clapton. Be the former. Remember that, unless you bet the farm and decided that you are going to support yourself by playing guitar, you picked it up for the fun of it. It's hard for almost everyone in the beginning and one year is still the beginning.

Enjoy practicing. Enjoy learning and enjoy mimicking as best that you can, your guitar heroes. It can be done. I have mastered some songs from my past that I loved to listen to and now I can play them. Try some of your loved songs. Some are not as hard as you think. As My Guitar Gently Weeps, Stairway to Heaven and Nothing Else Matters are a few that I have learned as well as some blues. I love the fact that I can play along with my heroes. I will never be an Angus or a Clapton but I can play a few of their songs. Have fun. Did I mention to have fun!!!

Very well said.

Joe

# 13
riffer_tx
Full Access
riffer_tx
Full Access
04/18/2017 6:54 pm

As a former Guitar Teacher The most important thing I tried to teach my students was Playing the guitar is not a competition. You are not competing with other guitar players. You are learning to play like you. The skills you learn at first are building blocks to help you develop over time. Some take to it faster than others but with practice and time you can learn to be a musician. You have to ask yourself why do you want to learn to play an instrument? If it is to show off then stop and realize you can train a monkey to impress a crowd with a few tricks. Real music is made from what is inside you. Just keep playing and one day you will realize you are getting better.

# 14
maggior
maggior
04/18/2017 7:17 pm
Originally Posted by: riffer_tx

As a former Guitar Teacher The most important thing I tried to teach my students was Playing the guitar is not a competition. You are not competing with other guitar players. You are learning to play like you. The skills you learn at first are building blocks to help you develop over time. Some take to it faster than others but with practice and time you can learn to be a musician. You have to ask yourself why do you want to learn to play an instrument? If it is to show off then stop and realize you can train a monkey to impress a crowd with a few tricks. Real music is made from what is inside you. Just keep playing and one day you will realize you are getting better.

I wish somebody told me that back in the late 80's. With the shredfest that was going on at the time, I became discouraged and put the guitar down for about 10 years.

# 15
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/18/2017 10:46 pm
Originally Posted by: riffer_tx

Riffer is absolutely correct here. I just wanted to chime in because I used to feel this way about guitar playing, too. And honestly, I felt like I was never going to be as good as the other guy or gal at Guitar Center, just killing it sounding like Van Halen or something. I'd turn my practice amp down at the shop because I didn't want others to hear my awful playing!

It is never too late to learn something, whether it's guitar or otherwise. Everybody learns at their own pace, everybody prefers a certain style of music over others, etc.

Don't be discouraged if you feel like you're not making progress. You're making progress every time you pick up the instrument, every time you at least try, you're getting a little better. And that's cool.

We're all here to learn something pretty fun, and we have to remember that playing music is about having a good time and making folks smile.

I hope you all keep at it.

Happy guitar playing!

- Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 16
dtagle
Full Access
dtagle
Full Access
04/25/2017 7:24 pm

If you've ever asked a pro what was the best way they got good real fast, the vast majority say is when they first joined a band.

Why? B/c being with a group of people jamming, you force yourself/brain to [u]adapt[/u] to the tune the drummer or bassist is playing. As the group plays, they evolve together and thusly learn their instruments better.

This is no different than Hendrix walking around the whole day in his house with a guitar strapped messing around learning the fretboard and its notes until it became an extension of his arm.

Of course you need to do [u]structured[/u] lessons as presented here exceptionally well, but then you need to practice. And when you practice, practice [u]really[/u] [u]slowly[/u]--baby level (another pro trick). be patient. Slower then a wee bit faster until you climb that hill. Use a metronome to keep your beat on track.

Be [u]PATIENT[/u] and work at it (no patience = no progress). Don't assume you'll learn whatever it is in a day or a week. It may take months. The brain has to adapt and the muscle memory has to kick in over time (like a bodybuilder building muscle). The more you practice, the more you'll advance in technique.

For riffing about, I use backing tracks and also the Digitech Trio+ (not the inferior Trio) which has been a [u]huge[/u] hit since recently released. It's basically like a band that [u]adapts[/u] the built-in drums and bass to [u]your[/u] riff in whatever genre you wish. It's very clever and has an auto looper to practice/layer your riff. This pedal is no different in concept than having an all-valuable band to force train your mind to evolve. Take a 30-60min riff lesson you learned that day and then immediately apply it to the Trio+ pedal for another while and off you go with evolution. Check it out:

https://youtu.be/wKwqg0U7ZLU?t=7m24s

And remember, it's a lifestyle. It takes years and decades to get where you may want to go. Even experts/guitar Gods still critcise themselves unmercifully--but that's how they got good in the first place--by always pushing the envelope. If you don't have that patience to be methodical and put in the hours consistently, then you'll be one of those 88% of victims that Fender says give up within a year.

So good luck and have patience and understanding with yourself.

[P.S. Also check out Rocksmith 2014 game/software. It's a good supplement to the all-important lessons (not a replacement) and a really fun way to learn mechanics of songs you love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NWZR3rh06c&list=PLkTijIFpb637_jSnwBpwghkRIQrNanu3t]

# 17
Sweet Lady Rae
Sweet Lady Rae
05/08/2017 7:48 pm

I've been playing guitar for 20 years, but didn't really push myself to learn theory or other styles till I hopped on this site. It really helped to ignite me and show me how far I still have to go! I love that challenge, but I can definitely understand how it can feel defeating to be stuck in the same place. You may benefit from a private lesson, just communicate to your teacher what your goals/barriers are and it may help steer you in a new direction. Along with that, it may benefit you to jam with some other people, especially if they can teach you something new! Plus, it may just show you that you're a lot more talented than you think ;)

# 18
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2017 1:42 am
Originally Posted by: maggior

The world renowned cellist Pablo Casals was once asked why he was so committed to his practice routine. At the age of 90, his response was something along the lines of "I seem to be making some progress!".

I read this years ago & forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful quote, Rich. :) What a great attitude!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 19
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
05/11/2017 5:11 pm

Maggior, PapaRich, riffer_tx, Billy, dtagle, and leahrae44,

I cannot thank you enough for your sweet and kind words. After reading makes you want to never let go of my guitar. I'll keep this post as a safe haven every time I feel a bit down.

Thank you all so much.

Have a great playing and learning, guys. :)

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.