Songs that have ruined your life!

Joseph
Joseph
09/30/2001 1:51 am
I'de appreciate if you take the time to read through this, it's part of my life, and perhaps you can reach your own conclusion as well. :)

I know that there are a lot of songs that we tend to put on the back burner, well for a lot of reasons. We want to forget the past, moving forward with progression. And there are a lot of songs that we just can't let go of. It's safe to say that we all haven't had the most healthy share of relationships over the past five years. And think about it, five years, now that's a long time, longer than we even want to contemplate.

I mean I can't even rememnber if I ate breakfast a few days ago, especially with everything that has been going on. But with music, certain songs help us remember certain moments from our past, as if it was just yesterday.

It's a big let down,to even imagine a world where we can't choose the memories that we want to keep in store. We can't always choose how we want to remember those special moments, or even the most confusing situations in our lives. But we can create multiple definitions, for why we put ourselves in such turmoil to begin with.

I'm not the most luckiest guy in the world, because if that was true, than my plan for reality, (the same plan that seemed indestructable three years ago) would display itself before me. However, we deal with certain let downs in our lives, and we don't cry over the spilt milk. We just let it be, what it will be.

Radiohead, I listen to this band, and I can't wondering where their lyrics came from, or even their choice of melodies, but it all ties together with certain moments in their lives. The particular song "Let Down" off of O.K. Computer, I used to listen to this song just like it was nothing, it didn't affect me much, nor did I think it was anything too special.

However, there was just this one moment, of total silence...A few years ago, I was in a car with my girlfriend, we couldn't find the words to express how we were feeling at the time. I popped my tape (OK computer) in the recorder, as I was stuck in traffic, I really listened to the song "Let Down" for all it was worth, and that was the beginning of the end.

Ever since I really started to listen to that song, we started listening to each other, and we admitted to ourselves that our relationship was going nowhere. We admitted that we were both going in two sepeate directions.

It's sad when you think about it, because what if we just kept traveling down that narrow road, what if we continued to fool ourselves, letting silence rule our lives. Perhaps we would have snapped out of it all, or perhaps not. But overall, we could no longer afford to ruin a really good thing, and that was our friendship.

Fo the life of me I can not understand why we have still remained friends after all of these years. However I think in a way we do need each other, even if we don't know why just yet. Hopefully we'll understand soon.

Still, because of situations like these, we bury certain records under the bed, afraid of opening up new wounds. However, I don't live with fear, nor am I afraid to delve into my past. Because I've learned a lot about myself, through people, and through music. And for the most part (at least most of the time) I'm pretty thankful.

So, are their certain songs that you've been afraid to listen to over the past few years, (because of who, and what they remind you of?) Or are you thankful for these moments of self discovery? Even if they did run your life, (in some ways.)

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/30/2001 3:15 am
I'm Free Now by Morphine
Well, I'm free now
To direct a movie sing a song write a book about yours truely
Well, I'm so interesting I'm so great, I'm really just a f___ up and it's such a waste
To burn down all these walls around me
Flexing like a heart beat
You don't like to speak, don't talk to me
for about a week
I'm sorry it just hurts to explain
There's something going on that makes my guts ache
I've got guilt, I've got fear, I've got regret
I'm just a panic stricken waste
I'm such a jerk

I was honest I swear
Last thing I want to do
honest I swear
the last thing I want to do was ever cause you pain.

Well I'm free now
Free to look out the window
Free to live my story
Free to sing along.

Well, I'm free now
To direct a movie sing a song write a book about yours truely
Well, I'm so interesting I'm so great, I'm really just a f___ up and it's such a waste
To burn down all these walls around me
Flexing like a heart beat
You don't like to speak, don't talk to me
for about a week
I'm sorry it just hurts to explain
There's something going on that makes my guts ache inside
I've got guilt, I've got fear, I've got regret
I'm just a panic stricken waste
I'm such a jerk

I was honest I swear
Last thing I want to do
honest I swear
the last thing I want to do was ever cause you pain

That whole album showed me the beginning of the end for my last relationship. I listen to it all the time, but it still brings everything back. The one song I can't listen to is "Girly" by The Refreshments. It was my old song for my ex.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/30/2001 7:43 pm
November Rain by GnR, came out just as a long relationship with someone I really cared about came to an end.
# 3
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2001 12:55 am
Well, there are a few songs that get the mental juices flowing. And I want ro thank you, Joseph, for opening a topic like this. Sometimes it's good just to talk about these things, even with complete strangers, just to get it out of your head. And in my situation right now, a painful, confusing one, it's all I've been thinking about for the past few months.

One of the first songs my former girlfriend played for me last year was 'Grow Old WIth You' by Adam Sandler from the Wedding Singer. That was when I first met her and she lived five feet away from me across the hall in our dorm, so I heard it quite a bit. Now for some reason the male brain likes to associate songs like that with girls like that. I still can't listen to it.

Some other songs are 'I'll Be Around' by Vai, 'Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)' by Journey, 'Goodbye to Romance' by Ozzy, and 'If I Close My Eyes Forever' by Ozzy and Lita Ford. However, I'm glad I can still listen to those songs. They're fantastic.

I have to say this whole situation really opened my eyes, and I've never really felt so alive. Basically, I see my life in two parts so far: before the breakup and after the breakup. And I suppose I've been a little naive in letting destructive feelings get the better of me and not realizing that all but a lucky few go through it, but it's for the better. I feel like I have new eyes, and I'm seeing the reality of the world for the first time. It's damn scary.

[Edited by ekstasis16 on 09-30-2001 at 09:00 PM]
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/01/2001 2:31 am
What will really get you is when you realize how some songs/"things" in life work on so many more levels than you first imagined. I've found it reassuring in a way.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Joseph
Joseph
10/02/2001 12:44 am
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
That whole album showed me the beginning of the end for my last relationship. I listen to it all the time, but it still brings everything back. The one song I can't listen to is "Girly" by The Refreshments. It was my old song for my ex.

Yeah, there are a lot of songs that walk us step by step through both the good times, and the bad times of our lives. However, it's still very tempting to listen to these songs that bring back all of those tumultuous memories, I think it's basically because we never really stop searching for a bit of understandings, on all levels.

chris mood: November Rain by GnR, came out just as a long relationship with someone I really cared about came to an end.

You know I swear, more an more people have told me (over the past few years) how "November Rain" makes them want to cry, or pull their hair out due to relationship problems or failed marriages. A lot of people that I know chose this song for their wedding, and now they feel it's a big black cloud hanging over their heads. It's sad too, because it's a really great song, and I've never heard Slash strike a guitar solo with more passion (especially that ending run, whoooo.) Just be careful when it comes time to choose that important wedding song, because regardless on what we think, songs aren't supposed to tie everything together. They are merely there for enjoyment, laughs, and to remind us what we did wrong!!!!

ekstasis16: And I want to thank you, Joseph, for opening a topic like this. Sometimes it's good just to talk about these things, even with complete strangers, just to get it out of your head. And in my situation right now, a painful, confusing one, it's all I've been thinking about for the past few months.

Thanks man, yeah sometimes it's good, that's when we can find the strength to stomach the past. For years I held a lot of stuff inside, but I find it's very difficult to move forward in new relationship if you dont come to terms with your past, in everyway possible. Basically admitting to ourselves that there was nothing we could really do to patch things up, sometimes everything happens for a reason. We just have to accept some things in life if we ever expect to find a new form of happiness.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this subject, it's nice to know that I'm not crazy after all. :D

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.